ForumsPopular MediaLatest Movie?

587 241374
Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

What was the last movie you watched and what did you think about it?

• 587 Replies
09philj
09philj
2,825 posts
Jester

The Man Who Would Be King. This 1975 classic stars Michael Caine and Sean Connery as two roguish ex-army officers who set out to conquer and loot the small central Asian nation of Kafiristan. This is an extremely powerful piece of film making. Although the characters played by both Cain and Connery are unscrupulous, they are both likable, and watching their fall from grace is very compelling.

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,622 posts
Herald

We were on a Tinker Bell marathon over the weekend!
I can't recall the exact titles, but one involved winter fairies, another a pirate fairy, and lastly preparing for spring.

stefeyboy
stefeyboy
19 posts
Nomad

Last time i watched American Sniper (2014) Movie. This is good movie.

philimaster
philimaster
491 posts
Peasant

The Man Who Would Be King. This 1975 classic stars Michael Caine and Sean Connery as two roguish ex-army officers who set out to conquer and loot the small central Asian nation of Kafiristan. This is an extremely powerful piece of film making. Although the characters played by both Cain and Connery are unscrupulous, they are both likable, and watching their fall from grace is very compelling.

same, perhaps we are related? I guess i'll never know.
Apart from that i watched Zero Dark Thirty, the movie about the search for Bin Laden. I really enjoyed it as it didn't just show the Americans being 'The good guys' and didn't gloss over the horrific torture they performed. It left you wondering who the real 'good guys' were
SportShark
SportShark
2,980 posts
Scribe

My latest movie: The Fifth Element starring B. Willis, M. Jovovich, and I. Holm. This comedic sci-fi is almost everything a movie should be- funny, weird, visually wow, perilous, has scantily clad babes... 8.12342627 out of 10. I just haven't been in the mood for intellectual dramas latley since I saw Hannibal (the sequel to the Silence of the Lambs) last week.

stefeyboy
stefeyboy
19 posts
Nomad

Last time i watched the avengers movie. I love this movie.

SportShark
SportShark
2,980 posts
Scribe

Whiplash. An attention grabbing drama about a college student aspiring to be a great drummer. He is pushed past the breaking point by a top notch instructor who uses fear and intimidation to push his students to perfection. 7/10

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

I watched Inside Out with my girlfriend. Was an amazing and poignant movie (How can it not, when the movie's characters were the embodiment of feelings themselves?) that made me look fondly back at my childhood memories. 10/10

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

Whiplash. An attention grabbing drama about a college student aspiring to be a great drummer. He is pushed past the breaking point by a top notch instructor who uses fear and intimidation to push his students to perfection. 7/10

Might want to rewatch that and pay attention, it's easily one of the best films of 2014, up there with Birdman.
Also he isn't wanting them to achieve perfection, but rather greatness. Huge difference, especially in context of the movie and story.

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

Anywho I've been watching a bunch of movies, and honestly if I was keeping track in here I'd be taking over more so than my boy GOM is taking over the photo thread..so I'll just do a few of my most recently watched.

The Gift - If you were to ask me to summarize American suspense films in one movie, it would be The Gift. Horribly boring, an attempt to be poignant that loses touch with itself, and any sort of notable moments of suspance are a few second long jump scares. The only notable thing about this film is the John Cusack look-a-like and the wife, and I say her because she's the only main character they don't decide to turn into a pile of crap for no reason.
They had two decent male characters, but in an attempt to create some bizarre conflict ended up making them both insufferable ******** (Cusack guy starts off like he is an old dude that was once a handy-man but just stays at home now and has nothing to do, then suddenly he's a psychopath...husband they can't decide if he's still a bully or just a former bully looking out for his family. It's honestly funny how they can't make up their mind, and one scene in particular is a mess because of it).

Home Movie - This movie does what Orphan tries to do, and I wish so many people would stop praising Orphan so that they could watch this instead. Do things get predictable? Sure (maybe you shouldn't teach your potentially psychotic children to pick locks or tie difficult knots), but the movie more than makes up for it with how it actually gives a reasonable excuse for the children and a realistic breakdown of the family as everything progresses.

Valhella Rising - Don't watch if you need constant action or at least consistent dialogues/monolagues. This movie LOVES its imagery and long scenic shots, and uses them very well. When you do get action, it's very gritty and strong...you feel the reason for it and know it isn't there for pandering but for purpose. If you don't like films to be artsy or intellectually self aware then stay away. This movie has a goal and knows what it needs to do to achieve it.

ReZisty
ReZisty
31 posts
Shepherd

If I recall correctly, the last movie I watched was American Psycho (2002). I quite enjoyed this film. This was the second time I watched this flick, enjoyed it as much as the first viewing.

SportShark
SportShark
2,980 posts
Scribe

Might want to rewatch that and pay attention, it's easily one of the best films of 2014, up there with Birdman.

What am I missing here? I didn't say that it was a bad movie, all I did was give a brief synopsis of the film and assign it a hasty rating. Alright, so he was pushing them to greatness rather than perfection, I am in hypnotic awe at your powers of enlightenment. It seems to me that you are always waiting to "correct" and "enlighten" me in your typical condescending and smart mouth manner. And FYI, birdman sucked. Since we are on the subject of 2014 films, I wouldn't be surprised to hear that you love the "hilarious nuances of human nature" in A Million Ways to Die in the West (probably the abolsute worst movie of 2014).

SportShark
SportShark
2,980 posts
Scribe

Anwhoooooooooooooooo,
My latest movie is A Clockwork Orange. This movie is a true masterpiece of film-making ingenuity that possesses a certain magnetism about it. Anyway I'm to tired to give a two thousand word synopsis of the film, just watch it if you haven't already.

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

so he was pushing them to greatness rather than perfection

It's a huge difference because he is trying to become greatness himself vicariously through another by "making" them great. He pushes people to the point of suicide because of his value of greatness over self-worth.

It seems to me that you are always waiting to "correct" and "enlighten" me in your typical condescending and smart mouth manner

I'd have said the same thing if it were anyone else, tbh

And FYI, birdman sucked.

Ok I'm pretty sure this is terrible bait but I'm just a little fish and I see food so

Birdman was a masterpiece, and if you honestly can't see that then I'm not sure what to tell you. Not only does it wonderfully satirize the nature of the "movies vs broadway" argument, but it also brilliantly exemplifies the nature of actors with obsessive mentalities to their trait as well. NOT TO MENTION the honestly superb soundtrack and the, frankly, ingenious way the movie is filmed (filmed as if it -were- a broadway show, a large continuous shot with careful cuts that allows the movie to flow without any hitch). This isn't about whether one fancies the movie or not, the movie is objectively a masterpiece.
This guy explains it quite well warning tho he uses bad language so idk

SportShark
SportShark
2,980 posts
Scribe

^ I'd post some sort of response, but I have honestly forgotten what I was arguing about, so whatever. Anyway, my latest moov iz Bunraku. Sadly, I find myself wishing that most of the world would look like it did in this moov. If this were the case, my mind would be less taxed in it's ongoing task to find meaning and purpose in it what it sees through its eyes. Not the greatest of action in this moov, but it was mildly thought provoking none the less.
By SportShark.

Showing 406-420 of 587