ForumsGamesNew gaming PC

27 5440
omegawavex
omegawavex
19 posts
Nomad

Hey, so since my computer is ancient compared to anything that has come out in the past 5 years, I've decided to get a job once school starts to get money for a new computer...I know a decent amount about whats good and what isn't but some feedback couldn't hurt...This is what I have so far : http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1itjw

The only thing I'm not really sure about is the graphics card, I was going to get a Raedon 7950 HD Pro, but it was twice the price of my current graphics card, and a friend said this was better in terms of performance from price. I don't feel I need an i7, since I'm really only going to be playing starcraft 2 or LoL.

Anyway comments or suggestions would be appreciated, I have a budget of about $1500 USD ( I'm 14, thats a fortune to me. ) Thanks guys!

• 27 Replies
omegawavex
omegawavex
19 posts
Nomad

I don't know where to edit my posts. :S Anyways the link didn't come out right, this is it. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1itjw

Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

I don't know where to edit my posts.

You can't (unfortunately).

I'll give you a very brief low-down of some tips for building PCs and other such nonsense.

The first and most important thing you should do before throwing this stuff together is to practice building an old beater computer. Computers have pretty fragile parts, and you do not want to waste hundreds of dollars because you don't know what you're doing. Fortunately, old computer parts are pretty easy to find and you don't have to worry about breaking anything. Go to public places that use computers and see if they have any old parts. If you go to schools, hospitals and libraries you can usually find good parts for free. That's what I did. Most parts are universal so you usually don't have to worry about finding the exact-model part, not to mention the fact that you have that dinosaur computer sitting in front of you right now. Might as well use it. After you get a bunch of parts, hit YouTube up for some tutorials. Much better to watch someone do it themselves instead of reading a manual. Once you get good at putting pieces together, I would recommend watching some YouTube tutorials related directly to what type of computer you'll be building. At that point, it should be pretty easy to assemble it.

After you get that baby built, you'll need some software. The most important piece of software you can have (and have to have) is an operating system. If this PC comes with Windows, then use Windows. Windows 8 works okay for gaming but I've heard 7 is better. I'm not a Windows user myself so I don't know. If Windows doesn't come with your PC (which is doesn't look like it does), I would go with Linux. Linux is customizable, flexible, manageable, and, best of all, it's free. There are a bunch of Linux OS's out there, ranging from super newbie-friendly to super computer nerd. Ubuntu is pretty newbie friendly but I would skip over it and use Fedora. It's easy to install and all you have to do is Google Fedora and look at their website. It installs via disc or drive, I think.

I skimmed over your part selection and I didn't see anything that looked grave. A little overpriced maybe, but it looked like it would work.
omegawavex
omegawavex
19 posts
Nomad

What is the Os used for exactly? I mean, if I don't buy an OS with this computer, will I be able to download a torrent of one? Do you need an Os installed to use google ( And to download the torrent ) is what i'm asking I guess.

Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

Download the OS on your current computer, put it on a disc and install it on your new computer.

omegawavex
omegawavex
19 posts
Nomad

Ewww. :P No way I'm using XP when I get my new computer. ;]

omegawavex
omegawavex
19 posts
Nomad

[quote]Ewww. :P No way I'm using XP when I get my new computer. ;]

Edit : Read wrong, my bad. :P

ihsahn
ihsahn
428 posts
Nomad

I'd go with Windows 8. There's no reason to get an older OS, it works perfectly fine, and at some point they're gonna stop supporting DirectX on Windows 7. Not to mention Windows is still pretty much the only OS 90% of games come out for, which admittedly shouldn't be a problem if you know how to get Windows games working on Linux, but I personally couldn't be arsed.

Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

which admittedly shouldn't be a problem if you know how to get Windows games working on Linux

You download and install Wine. Wine makes your OS compatible with made-for-Windows software.
omegawavex
omegawavex
19 posts
Nomad

So pretty much just download Linux distro or windows 8 ( Those are the two i'm thinking of ) onto a blank disk, then when I get my computer just put it in and run it?

Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

Windows is costly and in the long run they're basically the same in terms of functionality. But yes.

Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

I missed jeol's post. I vouch for everything he said. I run Steam on Linux and it works great. I've also used Linux Mint Debian Edition and it's a pretty good OS. I had no problems with it.

Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

You can just boot from disc or flash drive. You enter BIOS and change the boot order. It's really and easy and you can do it without a pre-existing OS.

Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

You can just boot from disc or flash drive. You enter BIOS and change the boot order. It's really easy and you can do it without a pre-existing OS.

omegawavex
omegawavex
19 posts
Nomad

[quote]You might want to check and make sure all your parts are compatible (nvidia is nasty, so I hear)

I don't think I have anything nvidia, where can I check to make sure they are compatable?

omegawavex
omegawavex
19 posts
Nomad

Jeol you seem very helpful, do you have a skype so we can talk a bit faster?

Showing 1-15 of 27