Forums

ForumsThe Tavern

Homo Novus: What is possible, what isn't, and whats just awesome!

Posted Aug 14, '13 at 10:51pm

Minotaur55

Minotaur55

1,255 posts

Knight

Alright. This is a relatively open thread with a simple concept. In humanities next evolutionary stage, what would you like the to be "Homo Novus" have? Wings? Superior fortitude and physical constitution? Ability to access 90% of their intellect? Anything that may seem plausible. Nothing like a Adamantium shell or something freaky like that.

Posted Aug 14, '13 at 11:43pm

Maverick4

Maverick4

3,707 posts

Evolution doesn't have a goal. It is merely a response to a current environment, using natural selection to select those features which are most appropriate situation.

*Shdon Cooper laugh*

:D

Posted Aug 15, '13 at 12:21am

pangtongshu

pangtongshu

8,576 posts

Apparently, our eyes are supposed to be getting larger. Think...anime.

Posted Aug 15, '13 at 12:34am

rayoflight3

rayoflight3

435 posts

We will become too intelligent, and our brain cells will take control of our bodies. We will powerless against the whims of our own brains.

Posted Aug 15, '13 at 12:51am

Minotaur55

Minotaur55

1,255 posts

Knight

*Shdon Cooper laugh*

*ahem* Either you are trying to say the name Sheldon or the Qunari word Shanedan from the game series Dragon Age. Either way, you do not have me stymied.

*gives a snort of derision*

Think...anime.

Oh crap he's right...

Posted Aug 15, '13 at 1:20am

TheGenovesan

TheGenovesan

66 posts

Oh crap he's right...

ahem.. she.
Perhaps the ability to not become sick? I know i'd like that.

Posted Aug 15, '13 at 2:20am

HahiHa

HahiHa

5,031 posts

Knight

Evolution doesn't have a goal. It is merely a response to a current environment, using natural selection to select those features which are most appropriate situation.

Looking at the examples mino listed, I automatically assumed we're talking about artificial enhancements.. you know, like cyborgs.

Possible is prosthesis' like artificial ears, eyes, limbs, and hearts. People that can't walk or are relearning to walk will get exoskeletons to aid, as will some professions linked with heavy loading to prevent back injuries.

But apart from stuff like that, if I am completely honest, I don't think we will change that much in general.. there will certainly always be people implanting things like some already do today, but the big mass of humans won't change.

Posted Aug 15, '13 at 8:17am

MacII

MacII

1,369 posts

I've always fancied having a tail.

You know, apart from balance and a practical third hand (holding a beer and smoking a cigarette whilst reading), think of all the potential in terms of elegance or even fashion. Dress it up, tailor and dye it, proudly flaunt or coyly curl up, etc. The possibilities would indeed seem sheer endless.

Posted Aug 15, '13 at 11:51am

GandalftheGrey666

GandalftheGrey666

1,791 posts

Well, I think almost nothing would be changed. A big nuclear war might happen, that same war could get us back to our roots, we would have a darker skin, more hair and a more primitive life. There are more options, such as super intelligent humans living in space colonies. And the best of them all is, we might become cyborgs, or, if we prove that there is life in the universe, humans might crossbreed with alien species, which might give some "features" that we didn't have before.

Posted Aug 15, '13 at 2:23pm

Minotaur55

Minotaur55

1,255 posts

Knight

And the best of them all is, we might become cyborgs

I'm perfectly fine keeping my humanity, thanks.

humans might crossbreed with alien species, which might give some "features" that we didn't have before.

I wouldn't recommend that as interesting as it sounds. A hypothetical alien civilization that may or may not have a advanced system of doing things breeding with humans will result in a massive amount of responsibility and liability for the alien race. Also, the governments of every country (of Earth) would have different laws of how to approach these civilizations. Some countries would outright forbid it. And some religious-governmental structures might deem these entities "demons" or "jinn" or whatever; with no scientific accuracy whatsoever. Humanity is entirely too divided for us to make peace with other civilizations, let alone breed with them.

Looking at the examples mino listed, I automatically assumed we're talking about artificial enhancements.. you know, like cyborgs

I'm talking about the next phase in human evolution. Not the artificially enhanced human beings that certain governmental structures would use for their own fetishes. 

But apart from stuff like that, if I am completely honest, I don't think we will change that much in general.. there will certainly always be people implanting things like some already do today, but the big mass of humans won't change.

That doesn't seem to be much of an advancement. Given the time needed and the proper environment almost all forms of energy change into something different, if not all of them.

Reply to Homo Novus: What is possible, what isn't, and whats just awesome!

You must be logged in to post a reply!