Forums

ForumsThe Tavern

Windows 8 Bad or Good?

Posted Aug 16, '13 at 12:26am

gman144

gman144

156 posts

Hey guys! So I was thinking that I would start a thread about Windows 8. It is a very heated subject for a lot you guys out there, so tell me what you think about the operating system. I personally kinda like it as a PC but I would not use it as a phone or tablet(RT). The app store is really limited but they do have a light version of Halo 4 in the store. I really like Xbox music(8.1). But most people are mad the that the good old start button hidden. Boo hoo. If you really used it all that much to get to a couple programs then just pin them to the taskbar. You can also get a start button in the windows store for free. Also the task manager is far better that the one found in 7 or vista. Now for those who think that getting Linux is a better idea than getting used to the OS that will be around for the next 10 years, just give it a chance! Use it regularly for a couple months before you judge it. Oh and there are those that got windows 8 for an old computer and then blame the OS when is crashes. What did you expect???
Annnnnyways, I hope that none where offended by this. :-)

Posted Aug 16, '13 at 2:21am

Minotaur55

Minotaur55

1,257 posts

Knight

Windows 8 is terrible. Windows RT even worse. Windows 8 is acceptable to only touchscreen computers. Meaning you spend a lot more money. Microsoft's idea of taking out the start menu was not a good one and  Windows 8 is rather convoluted with one too many faults. Windows 7 was the best Windows OS in my opinion.

The fact that RT is not compatible with anything other than apps built specifically for that device is terrible. And Microsoft seems to have these compatibility issues in Windows 8 OS's like Windows 8 Pro and Enterprise.

Rumor has it that Microsoft will make a type of "Windows 9" which will be better. Personally if Microsoft keeps this up I'm switching to Linux or Windows 7.

Posted Aug 17, '13 at 6:51am

Gamer_Cale

Gamer_Cale

1,414 posts

Windows 8 is made for touchscreen devices on pc I see no reason to change from windows 7 its perfect IMO I can't fault it.

Posted Aug 17, '13 at 10:17am

partydevil

partydevil

5,097 posts

about the startmenu: a simple plugin returns it and you can choose between all previous windows start menu's even the win95 one.

windows 8, i'm using it for some months now...
at 1st i hated it cause i didn't know how it all worked. but when youve figured most of it out. then it works just as good and easy as any other windows...
the apps kinda suck, cause you dont use them and they are in the way mostly. but when youve added a app's blocker then there is no problem at all...

Posted Aug 17, '13 at 2:29pm

Salvidian

Salvidian

3,950 posts

If you're a casual computer user then it's probably okay for you, but I've worked on acquaintances' computers that run Windows 8 and you have to do everything differently to adjust for the fact that everything is different compared to the other Windows systems. It's a nuisance, but you can usually find your way around the place.

I've never liked Windows, or Mac for that matter, so I'm probably a bit biased on the topic.

Posted Aug 17, '13 at 3:02pm

jeol

jeol

3,565 posts

There were many design oversights with Windows 8 - some were fixed in Windows 8.1, but major system designs were still lacking.

For example, there's the notification system. You can adjust how much time notifications will spend showing on your screen. But when that time passes, the notification simply disappears. It's gone. There's no way to see it, to see if you've gotten emails, messages, et cetera if you stepped out of the room for five minutes or more. You can set your lock screen to show how many notifications you have from certain apps, but you have to adjust it manually because it won't let you show all of them and I'm not sure if you can even look at the notifications it would have on the lock screen. If there is a place to see your notifications, then I couldn't find it - but that's a whole other thing about Windows 8. Anyways, even Linux distros handle notifications better than Windows 8.

In Windows 8, things are **** hard to find. I was using the mail app, and I had learned to swipe from the bottom to view settings. It said that I should go to the mail settings to change how far back the mail app would fetch emails (kind of strange that it doesn't just fetch all of them, but whatever). I swiped from the bottom - not there. After a while and a few searches, I figured out that you had to swipe from the left and choose settings (which I thought took you to PC Settings), and then there were some app settings there. Why the heck would they have settings in two different places? It's terribly confusing. Things are hidden in Windows 8.

And last (though I probably could come up with more), it's impractical on the desktop. Sure, you can use it on a desktop, but it is 100 percent unnecessary to have to utilize the metro interface when practically all you use is the aero interface. I have a convertible laptop myself - it has a keyboard and touchpad with a touchscreen that I can flip back and use like a tablet. Even so, I still ended up spending 99 percent of my time in the Aero interface. Why? Because there was no reason to use metro. None of the apps were very practical at all. For a while I used 8.1's multiple-apps-on-the-same-screen technique, with music on the left, IE11 in the middle, and mail on the right. Sure, it was practical for basic multitasking, but I ended up wasting so much time that I went back to aero. The only reason that I ever spent any time in the metro interface beyond that point was because I needed to look up settings and such on notifications because I was so confused on that point.

I'm running Linux Mint Debian Edition (upgraded to kernel 3.10.5 for touchscreen support) and I have everything I could want. I have notifications that I can check if I missed seeing them. I have a mail notification system that will actually notify me if I get an email, even from my university email. I have my browser in one workspace, either a game or code open in the second, and my music open in the third, and I can switch between all of those easily. Simply put, I love it. I'm never going back to Windows 8.

Posted Aug 17, '13 at 11:29pm

gman144

gman144

156 posts

I think that a lot of the problem is that most people just don't like change.

Posted Aug 18, '13 at 2:02am

Terry_Logic

Terry_Logic

3,997 posts

I think that a lot of the problem is that most people just don't like change.

That could be part of it. I find Windows 8 horribly inefficient compared to every other operating system I've ever used on a computer, and that includes Linux, but it could be that I'm just not used to using an operating system that takes more effort to operate than it should.

I got a new laptop for college (this desktop computer isn't exactly portable), and it runs Windows 8, so for the next 9 months, guess which operating system I'll have to learn to love.

Posted Aug 18, '13 at 4:36am

Salvidian

Salvidian

3,950 posts

I find Windows 8 horribly inefficient compared to every other operating system I've ever used on a computer, and that includes Linux, but it could be that I'm just not used to using an operating system that takes more effort to operate than it should.

and that includes Linux

Generalizing every Linux OS with the basis of the one or two or three or even ten you have used is a bit harsh. Many of them are modeled almost exactly after Windows 7, some of them look a lot of Mac OS, a few look like Android phones, while others are run primarily by using the terminal and some background software. There's a mindboggling variety. Just some FYI.

Posted Aug 18, '13 at 4:22pm

Terry_Logic

Terry_Logic

3,997 posts

Generalizing every Linux OS with the basis of the one or two or three or even ten you have used is a bit harsh.

I know, I don't know Linux very well, nobody understands Linux because it's different... that sort of thing.

I'm sure Linux is a fine operating system. My efficiency standards stem from Windows and Mac OS, in that order, and I much prefer Windows over OS, so anything that works slightly less efficiently than OS for me personally is going to be exiled as obsolete. Linux just didn't pull through for me in any way, and I've seen no reason to ever use it again since Windows (7) works so well already.

But so far, Linux is still looking better than Windows 8 for me. I'm not impressed with what Windows 8 is trying to prove.

Reply to Windows 8 Bad or Good?

You must be logged in to post a reply!