ForumsThe TavernWindows 8 Bad or Good?

16 6819
gman144
gman144
156 posts
Blacksmith

Hey guys! So I was thinking that I would start a thread about Windows 8. It is a very heated subject for a lot you guys out there, so tell me what you think about the operating system. I personally kinda like it as a PC but I would not use it as a phone or tablet(RT). The app store is really limited but they do have a light version of Halo 4 in the store. I really like Xbox music(8.1). But most people are mad the that the good old start button hidden. Boo hoo. If you really used it all that much to get to a couple programs then just pin them to the taskbar. You can also get a start button in the windows store for free. Also the task manager is far better that the one found in 7 or vista. Now for those who think that getting Linux is a better idea than getting used to the OS that will be around for the next 10 years, just give it a chance! Use it regularly for a couple months before you judge it. Oh and there are those that got windows 8 for an old computer and then blame the OS when is crashes. What did you expect???
Annnnnyways, I hope that none where offended by this. :-)

• 16 Replies
Minotaur55
Minotaur55
1,373 posts
Blacksmith

Windows 8 is terrible. Windows RT even worse. Windows 8 is acceptable to only touchscreen computers. Meaning you spend a lot more money. Microsoft's idea of taking out the start menu was not a good one and Windows 8 is rather convoluted with one too many faults. Windows 7 was the best Windows OS in my opinion.

The fact that RT is not compatible with anything other than apps built specifically for that device is terrible. And Microsoft seems to have these compatibility issues in Windows 8 OS's like Windows 8 Pro and Enterprise.

Rumor has it that Microsoft will make a type of "Windows 9" which will be better. Personally if Microsoft keeps this up I'm switching to Linux or Windows 7.

Gamer_Cale
Gamer_Cale
1,372 posts
Nomad

Windows 8 is made for touchscreen devices on pc I see no reason to change from windows 7 its perfect IMO I can't fault it.

partydevil
partydevil
5,132 posts
Jester

about the startmenu: a simple plugin returns it and you can choose between all previous windows start menu's even the win95 one.

windows 8, i'm using it for some months now...
at 1st i hated it cause i didn't know how it all worked. but when youve figured most of it out. then it works just as good and easy as any other windows...
the apps kinda suck, cause you dont use them and they are in the way mostly. but when youve added a app's blocker then there is no problem at all...

Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

If you're a casual computer user then it's probably okay for you, but I've worked on acquaintances' computers that run Windows 8 and you have to do everything differently to adjust for the fact that everything is different compared to the other Windows systems. It's a nuisance, but you can usually find your way around the place.

I've never liked Windows, or Mac for that matter, so I'm probably a bit biased on the topic.

gman144
gman144
156 posts
Blacksmith

I think that a lot of the problem is that most people just don't like change.

Terry_Logic
Terry_Logic
4,484 posts
Jester

I think that a lot of the problem is that most people just don't like change.

That could be part of it. I find Windows 8 horribly inefficient compared to every other operating system I've ever used on a computer, and that includes Linux, but it could be that I'm just not used to using an operating system that takes more effort to operate than it should.

I got a new laptop for college (this desktop computer isn't exactly portable), and it runs Windows 8, so for the next 9 months, guess which operating system I'll have to learn to love.
Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

I find Windows 8 horribly inefficient compared to every other operating system I've ever used on a computer, and that includes Linux, but it could be that I'm just not used to using an operating system that takes more effort to operate than it should.

and that includes Linux

Generalizing every Linux OS with the basis of the one or two or three or even ten you have used is a bit harsh. Many of them are modeled almost exactly after Windows 7, some of them look a lot of Mac OS, a few look like Android phones, while others are run primarily by using the terminal and some background software. There's a mindboggling variety. Just some FYI.
Terry_Logic
Terry_Logic
4,484 posts
Jester

Generalizing every Linux OS with the basis of the one or two or three or even ten you have used is a bit harsh.

I know, I don't know Linux very well, nobody understands Linux because it's different... that sort of thing.

I'm sure Linux is a fine operating system. My efficiency standards stem from Windows and Mac OS, in that order, and I much prefer Windows over OS, so anything that works slightly less efficiently than OS for me personally is going to be exiled as obsolete. Linux just didn't pull through for me in any way, and I've seen no reason to ever use it again since Windows (7) works so well already.

But so far, Linux is still looking better than Windows 8 for me. I'm not impressed with what Windows 8 is trying to prove.
ironblade41
ironblade41
514 posts
Shepherd

I hate windows 8. Windows 7 works well and windows 8 is really only functional on Xbox. I don't like to rant like the rest of you.

gman144
gman144
156 posts
Blacksmith

windows 8 is really only functional on Xbox.

Windows 8 is a PC OS.........sort of

I hate windows 8.

You sound like the million other people who haven't even given it a chance yet.

I don't like to rant like the rest of you.

This is the Tavern. That is all that happens here.....
gman144
gman144
156 posts
Blacksmith

My laptop came back in June with Windows 8 pre-installed (and stayed that way for about a month).

Did you upgrade/downgrade to Linux?

You realize that probably at least 69% of the people who complain about Windows 8 either use it or have used it, right?

No, but it doesn't matter anyway. Windows 8 will be on PC's for years to come and unless people really care to take the time to get a new OS they learn to like it.....
Drink
Drink
1,622 posts
Blacksmith

windows 8 aint so bad, i just mainly use the desktop portion anyway so the whole app thing doesnt bother me cause i rarely see that screen

gman144
gman144
156 posts
Blacksmith

You can also set it so that the start screen doesn't even come up when log in.

Showing 1-13 of 16