ForumsThe TavernStaying Up

23 7403
Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

In order to re-regulate my ****ed sleep schedule, I've suddenly decided to stay up for 30 hours. I woke up at 1 pm and it's 6:40 am the next day. If everything goes according to plan, I'll be in bed and asleep by 7 pm today. I've been up for about 18 hours and I have about 12 hours left to go. I have little experience with this, but I think I'm holding up fairly well.

I'm taking cold showers every hour.
Drinking plenty of Mountain Dew for the caffeine, which is helping a lot.
Eating low-carb and low-sugar foods to combat food coma.
I've been cleaning the house.
Lights are all on.
Planning on going for a walk later.

At this point my legs are killing me and I'm starting to sway. As far as cognitive ability goes, I think I'm alright. Otherwise I'm just sleepy.

I'm making this thread to discuss staying up and I'm going to log what I do once in a while.

• 23 Replies
thebluerabbit
thebluerabbit
5,346 posts
Farmer

yeah... what is the point of all that? if you feel bad its your body telling you that something is wrong. your body is not a toy and you should talk to a doctor or something...

Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

The point being I have school very soon and I don't have a week to fix myself the normal way. I work very weird hours during the summer. And I mean, it isn't serious or anything. Normal wear and tear. Swaying a little bit after working my body for this long should be expected... I would think.

Bronze
Bronze
2,417 posts
Shepherd

If a friend wants to hang out on my off day, I'll stay up 20 plus hours. The trick is to just have something to do the entire time.

EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,444 posts
Jester

As far as cognitive ability goes, I think I'm alright.

That's on the level of a drunk saying that he's sober.

I woke up at 1 pm and it's 6:40 am the next day.

What time did you sleep to wake up at 1?

Planning on going for a walk later.

Go with someone if you can. Collapsing somewhere could be a problem.
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,444 posts
Jester

What I mean is, there's often a bit of confirmation bias. Do something objective, like math problems, to see if you're still really doing good or if you're nuts.
Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

Realized that as soon as I posted it.

What time did you sleep to wake up at 1?

6 am? I got up a little early.

I went for the walk, had a couple of showers since then and I'm doing much better. I read that at about 10 am your body naturally gives you a second wind because it's more accustomed to the daytime, and I think I just felt that. I'm not too tired and my fatigue has slowed. But it's getting harder to strong words together into sentences.

Say, is my typing a little hard to read?
Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

strong words

string*

The irony is killing me.
daleks
daleks
3,770 posts
Chamberlain

I one time stayed up for like 24 hours but it was not by choice. I cannot sleep on planes and it was a 9 hour red eye flight. I was pretty zombieish by the end. I would not have gotten to the hotel without my parents.

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

Wow Sal..I see you have very little experience in this. You are over-preparing like CRAZY.

-Stay on the computer a lot, but don't lay down. Use it at a desk where you have to sit.
-Instead of cold showers, randomly place ice on the back of your neck...or even better, down your ****. But close of the bottom so the ice doesn't fall out right away.
-Do something that'll keep your attention but has to have you be alert for it. Video games, watching something funny, etc.
-Stop with the Dew. All it'll dew is give you a sugar crash. Unless you are like me, where sugar crashes aren't a thing for you, then go ahead. If not, opt for like ice cold water...or 5hour energy if you gots it.
-Stop with the working so much. The walking, cleaning, etc...it may all sound like great ideas..but all you are doing is tiring your already exhausted body out more.

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

or even better, down your ****.

Apparently the word back is censored now?
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,622 posts
Herald

-Stay on the computer a lot, but don't lay down. Use it at a desk where you have to sit.

Speaking from experience being on the computer when tired is very uncomfortable and makes the bed that more tempting. Instead I think you should try to be around other people. Do activities outside if you can, go the park or something.
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,444 posts
Jester

6 am?

So your conditioned sleep time is about 6-7hrs. If you go to bed at 7pm, (factoring in tiredness) you'll probably still wake up around 3-4am.
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

Speaking from experience being on the computer when tired is very uncomfortable and makes the bed that more tempting.

Staying on the computer actually keeps you awake.

Nighttime computer users may lose sleep

Why Screen use Keeps you Awake
Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

So your conditioned sleep time is about 6-7hrs. If you go to bed at 7pm, (factoring in tiredness) you'll probably still wake up around 3-4am.

Actually my conditioned sleep time is about 11 hours. The only reason I got up at 1 pm was because I had somewhere to go. I should have mentioned that. I figure if I go to bed at 7 pm, I'll wake up at 5 am.

Anyway, update:

Tried what pang suggested. The only thing I didn't do was lay off the Mountain Dew because I drink diet, and aspartame doesn't give me sugar highs or crashes. Otherwise I'm getting really spacey. A few minutes ago I stared at the ground imagining the carpet changing colors. Sorta feels like I'm going on a trip. I also had a few instances where I forgot what I was doing while doing it. I was playing Assassin's Creed and I frequently caught myself either staring at the screen mindlessly or reading something 5 or 6 times before I fully understood it.
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,444 posts
Jester

Otherwise I'm getting really spacey. A few minutes ago I stared at the ground imagining the carpet changing colors

That could be mild dehydration. Have some plain water instead of soda for a while.
Showing 1-15 of 23