ForumsThe TavernStaying Up

23 7378
Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

In order to re-regulate my ****ed sleep schedule, I've suddenly decided to stay up for 30 hours. I woke up at 1 pm and it's 6:40 am the next day. If everything goes according to plan, I'll be in bed and asleep by 7 pm today. I've been up for about 18 hours and I have about 12 hours left to go. I have little experience with this, but I think I'm holding up fairly well.

I'm taking cold showers every hour.
Drinking plenty of Mountain Dew for the caffeine, which is helping a lot.
Eating low-carb and low-sugar foods to combat food coma.
I've been cleaning the house.
Lights are all on.
Planning on going for a walk later.

At this point my legs are killing me and I'm starting to sway. As far as cognitive ability goes, I think I'm alright. Otherwise I'm just sleepy.

I'm making this thread to discuss staying up and I'm going to log what I do once in a while.

• 23 Replies
rayoflight3
rayoflight3
437 posts
Nomad

Just saying, I've tried doing this before, and it's never worked, either because I crash at some point or accumulate a sleep deficit. If you ever need to fix your sleep schedule again, I suggest investing in melatonin pills and perhaps doing something mentally or physically straining a few hours before you go to sleep. You could also try taking short caffeine naps, depending on the situation (this worked well for me during finals when I needed to optimize my study/rest time).

aknerd
aknerd
1,416 posts
Peasant

30 hours? That should be good practice for college. Anyway, eat lots of meat. My main problem with not sleeping is I start to feel weak and nauseous, and eating waffles and sausage seems to help with that. I don't know why, but that specific combination is kinda my go-to. Basically whatever you use as a hangover cure should work well here too.

Actually my conditioned sleep time is about 11 hours

Jeepers.
Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

Tried a meal of cold water with some waffles and sausage, like you guys had suggested. I gotta admit, I feel pretty alert right now. But it's starting to take its tole on me. My whole body is throbbing and I don't have the focus to type. I'm just trying my best not to fall asleep at this point. I had a few more instances where I spaced for a few minutes and I almost fell asleep standing about a half hour ago. I'm trying to have a conversation with someone right now which isn't helping my concentration, but it's giving me the motivation not to go to bed. I've also noticed I'm forgetting stuff very easily. As i was typing that last sentence i forgot where the mouse was, then realized I didn't need it at this point of time. Heh. :X

Just saying, I've tried doing this before, and it's never worked, either because I crash at some point or accumulate a sleep deficit. If you ever need to fix your sleep schedule again, I suggest investing in melatonin pills and perhaps doing something mentally or physically straining a few hours before you go to sleep. You could also try taking short caffeine naps, depending on the situation (this worked well for me during finals when I needed to optimize my study/rest time).

Naturally it's a little late for that now, but I'll try that again if the need should ever arise. I'm probably going to read for an hour or so before I try to sleep, or else I fear I might be overtired.

Jeepers.

Oh that's nothing. The weeks following my heart attack it was normal for me to get 20 hours of sleep a day (and yes, I talked to my doctor about doing this before doing it. He gave me the okay).
Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

I have about two hours to go. At the 28 hour mark, my eyes are starting to burn and my body is just falling apart. For some reason I just went downhill in the past hour. Right now the only thing I can think about is putting my head on my pillow and dozing off. I'm probably not going to post here again until after I wake up.

LazyOne
LazyOne
166 posts
Nomad

... Dude, this is not normal anymore.
I decided to do this. Then a friend in my regular chatroom said he was planning the exact same thing. Then another guy we know joined in and he experienced EXACTLY what you're going through now. Then I read this.

What the hell?
If you're one of them: It's "Arglax" from Toribash

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

I was playing Assassin's Creed and I frequently caught myself either staring at the screen mindlessly or reading something 5 or 6 times before I fully understood it.

This sounds like either what Emp said, or you are ready to pass out. Either way..it is your time to sleep now, so it doesn't matter.

Goodnight, sweet prince.
xeano321
xeano321
3,152 posts
Farmer

I did that once. Stayed awake for 35 hours straight with no sugar, no caffeine, and was up all night selling tickets at a carnival thing for a train ride.

I slept for 14 hours afterwards.

ironblade41
ironblade41
514 posts
Shepherd

It's the first day of school today. 4:45 AM and I can't sleep. I'm a freshie in high school this year. Anyways, I've been up all night and, so far, have not gotten lucky. Darn song of the summer... Darn school. Weird how the song of the summer and school clash. Can anyone tell I'm tired? My sentences sure don't flow. e.e

Showing 16-23 of 23