ForumsWEPR[nec]Christianity vs Atheism

3094 507245
kiddslayer12
kiddslayer12
70 posts
Nomad

I am a christian, i and i strongly belive in my lord jesus christ, and i also belive that if you belive in him and except him as your savior, u will go to heaven. and i also believe that he created the world, not the big bang, or that we came from stupid apes.

• 3,094 Replies
MRWalker82
MRWalker82
4,005 posts
Shepherd

I can't give you evidence. It requires faith, which I already told you about. Either way, I really don't care about your faith, or, in this case, lack thereof. There is no point in trying to convince those who have already been lost. Also, this entire thread is pretty much pointless, as I see a huge lack of Christians. Without one side, an argument is but a group of people flaming a religion.

I understand that, and please don't mistake my opposition to your position as flaming you. I understand the Christian position quite well and spent much of my life as a very devout Christian. I simply have chosen to apply the scientific method to all areas of my life, including my faith, as it is the most accurate way to arrive at truth. I find truth and knowledge to be more valuable than personal opinion and as such I have had to let go of many previously held ideas and replace them with truth, or at the very least stop asserting as truth that which is not true.

I have always found it interesting that as humans we tend to apply the critical thinking skills promoted by the scientific method in all other areas of our life except our religion. I have never fully understood why it is that we seek knowledge, wisdom, and truth except when it comes to religion. Wouldn't it stand to reason that the most important truth we could arrive at is in regards to the existence of God, Heaven, and Hell? Yet we do not. We carry beliefs which are in direct opposition to reason and purport them to be fact even though we know there is no evidence of this.

We wouldn't do this in any other area of human thought, however religion seems to be exempt from reason and logic, yet these are our most valuable tools as humans. Our capacity for reason and logic sets us apart from the vast majority of the animal kingdom, yet we pick and choose which areas to apply this in. I don't expect to deconvert anyone, and I am certainly not saying that you shouldn't be religious. What I am saying is actually twofold. Firstly, do not force something without evidence on others, or try to sell it as fact. Secondly, just think about it. Take a look at what you believe, why you believe it, and if it really holds water, or if you are just going along because it seems like a nice thing to believe in.

I leave you with this little morsel to consider:
Truth is defined as "that which conforms to fact or reality." And how do we arrive at the knowledge of whether or not something is a fact or conforms with reality? We observe, test, verify, and attempt to disprove it. This is the nature and process of the scientific method and this is why it is the best way to arrive at truth.

John 8:22 - "And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free."
NoNameC68
NoNameC68
5,043 posts
Shepherd

If you all want proof for Christianity, try one word: faith. No, there, is no proof he's there. What proof do you have that he's not?

I have no problem with religion myself. However, I do believe evolution should hold credibility over creationism. Science is built off of research, tests, and all that other jazz. You can't kick evolution to the side for creationism when the only support creation has is faith, or something lacking evidence. That's not how science rolls.

Anyway, you can't call people lost, blind, or dumb just because they wish to see proof before they believe in something. Faith is something God tells you to have if you already believe in him. If you don't believe in him, then why would you have faith in him? I find many theists are too blind to put themselves in the atheist's shoes every once in a while. I find them blind because they can not understand why faith is so hard to grasp for many atheists.

You can't tell people who use science as their guidelines to have faith then tell them they are wrong. I can tell you that a Giant tentacle monster created the earth and support the rape of Japanese school girls as long as you have tentacles was the one to create the earth. I can then proceed to tell you that there is no evidence that he exists, you just have to have faith.
314d1
314d1
3,817 posts
Nomad

I can't give you evidence. It requires faith, which I already told you about. Either way, I really don't care about your faith, or, in this case, lack thereof. There is no point in trying to convince those who have already been lost. Also, this entire thread is pretty much pointless, as I see a huge lack of Christians. Without one side, an argument is but a group of people flaming a religion.

If you can't give evidence, it is probably not real. And if atheists are lost, then so is your god. Your god is an atheist with no faith. Since he knows everything, he can't have belief without evidence.

And so what if I get a little aggressive over this mosh pit of racism, war, and ignorance? Quite frankly it dissevers little, if any, respect.
NoNameC68
NoNameC68
5,043 posts
Shepherd

And so what if I get a little aggressive over this mosh pit of racism, war, and ignorance? Quite frankly it dissevers little, if any, respect.

Sorry, but not all theists are racist, support war, and for the most part ignorant...
314d1
314d1
3,817 posts
Nomad

Sorry, but not all theists are racist, support war, and for the most part ignorant...

I realize this, of course. Its the religion itself that is racist, supports war, and for the most part ignorant.
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

I realize this, of course. Its the religion itself that is racist, supports war, and for the most part ignorant.

Nope. It's those who are at the leading position of religious communities who take advantage of it; the idea behind religion itself is not racism, warfare and ignorance. It only bears more potential for misuse than other ideas.
Avorne
Avorne
3,087 posts
Nomad

Really? Most religions have holy-books - take the Abrahamic religions for example. In these holy-books you'll almost certainly find a quote about waging warfare on lesser people or enemies of the religion or God. How other races are inferior for idol worship and how the world was created in 7 days.

314d1
314d1
3,817 posts
Nomad

What Avorne said, great job taking my answer... I will just add that it also supports slavery and is sexist against women.

314d1
314d1
3,817 posts
Nomad

Here is another uninvented typical question, if you can speak to your deity, than why does he give different answers to different people? I was watching a short movie about it when it was brought up...

VivaLaWeegee
VivaLaWeegee
18 posts
Nomad

I'm an Atheist.

wolf1991
wolf1991
3,440 posts
Farmer

I'm an Atheist.

Good for you. And thank you for that unintelligent bit of spam.

Also, on the issue of slavery the bible says I can have one slave from the neighbouring island. So does that mean I can take someone from Prince Edward Island to be my slave?
314d1
314d1
3,817 posts
Nomad

Also, on the issue of slavery the bible says I can have one slave from the neighbouring island. So does that mean I can take someone from Prince Edward Island to be my slave?

As long as you pay the biblical approved price and only beat him bad enough that he dies the day after(I suggest beating him at night, so he won't have to live as long!)then they are god-obliged to obey you!
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

Yeah, well, I meant the basic idea behind religion. Of course holy books are already a corruption of religion.

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

Yeah, well, I meant the basic idea behind religion. Of course holy books are already a corruption of religion.

With Christianity (and many others) the basic ideas come from those holy books.
Avorne
Avorne
3,087 posts
Nomad

That's what I was going to say - at least 3 of the world's top 4 most popular religions are based upon holy books and probably wouldn't function without them - therefore you're saying that almost all religion is corrupted in some way.

Showing 2476-2490 of 3094