ForumsWEPR[nec]Christianity vs Atheism

3094 507326
kiddslayer12
kiddslayer12
70 posts
Nomad

I am a christian, i and i strongly belive in my lord jesus christ, and i also belive that if you belive in him and except him as your savior, u will go to heaven. and i also believe that he created the world, not the big bang, or that we came from stupid apes.

• 3,094 Replies
wolf1991
wolf1991
3,440 posts
Farmer

Which would indicate that with such a vast level of corruption you must agree that religion is wrong and there is no god.

Avorne
Avorne
3,087 posts
Nomad

Or at least agree that mainstream religion is wrong and that the only real way to practice religion is based on personal beliefs and not the beliefs of a mainstream religious group.

AircraftCarrier
AircraftCarrier
145 posts
Shepherd

Wait... Isn't Buddhism an except an exception. First off, it's an atheist religion, as the Buddhas (yes plural) are not considered gods by any means in Buddhism. Secondly, it doesn't promote any racism, sexism, slavery, or stoning people so-and-so. Lastly, have you heard of a war caused by buddhists?

NoNameC68
NoNameC68
5,043 posts
Shepherd

Let's stop talking about slavery for a moment. Do we even know what slavery was like during the time the bible refers to? Are we certain that the bible is referring to slavery as we think of it, or could it be referring to something else, slavery just being a loose translation?

I think it would be fair to observe the culture back then before we apply today's language and system into the book.

Avorne
Avorne
3,087 posts
Nomad

Well as far as I can see slavery has almost always meant the same thing - you're put in a position where you have no choice but to work for very little or no money at all and do laborious tasks for an extended period of time (possibly your whole life) under the command of a master. It seemed to work like that back in ancient Egypt anyway.

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

But in ancient times, slavery was very common in big cities, they had another perception of it then. The bible endured the centuries, and with it so did, sadly, some of these ancient parts of cultures. Now it is seen as inhumane, but back then it was normal. So the blame should be put on those who are stupid enough to still take holy books literally instead of adapting it and putting it in the context of our modern society.

Avorne
Avorne
3,087 posts
Nomad

Well yes but if you left a religions holy book up to such wide interpretation then it would either allow people to justify horrible acts more easily or create an even more divided Christianity/Islam/Judaism/Whatever.

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

Let's stop talking about slavery for a moment. Do we even know what slavery was like during the time the bible refers to? Are we certain that the bible is referring to slavery as we think of it, or could it be referring to something else, slavery just being a loose translation?

It is as it was back then the owning of another human being, to do with pretty much as you please. What's changed is the acceptance of such a practice.
While I don't think it's how you intended it, but this argument is often used as a means to justify an immoral act clearly condoned by the Bible (by both new and old testaments) as being moral.

But in ancient times, slavery was very common in big cities, they had another perception of it then. The bible endured the centuries, and with it so did, sadly, some of these ancient parts of cultures. Now it is seen as inhumane, but back then it was normal. So the blame should be put on those who are stupid enough to still take holy books literally instead of adapting it and putting it in the context of our modern society.

As Avorne said a person could just as easily justify such inhumane acts by applying them to modern society. Even the things the Bible claims were immoral in it's own time often get's contradicted. Honestly I think the Bible is a very poor place to seek moral guidance. That is not to say it doesn't hold good moral values but it's just so heavily laced with all the inhumane immoral points right along side it.
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

Ok, seems the next thing to do for me in order to go on about this discussion would be to read the bible. Eww...
Anyway I'm not trying to justify or defend christianity; the point I am finally getting to is that religion by itself, per definition, isn't a bad thing. This

Or at least agree that mainstream religion is wrong and that the only real way to practice religion is based on personal beliefs and not the beliefs of a mainstream religious group.

is probably the most reasonable thing said today.
I believe that faith can even be a good thing, I am convinced that true faith can 'unlock' and strengthen one's powers and/or will to master an otherwise impossible task or situation. I'll explain it with an example that has not directly to do with faith..
I read long ago about a mother who saw, after an accident, that her son was stuck under a car, and nobody was near to help her. She tried to push up the car so that her son could crawl out, and she was so desperate, so afraid of losing him, that she actually managed. Her back suffered a lot and it had long-lasting consequences, but she managed (this situation was very short and required more physic strength, other situations are over a long period of time and require psychic strength and will). I think this shows that in certain situations, our psyche is able to support us more than usually, and faith, much like desperation, might just be one of the trigger that our psyche needs in order to 'boost' you; nothing supernatural, nothing really religious, just something about ourselves we don't really understand yet.
wolf1991
wolf1991
3,440 posts
Farmer

Lastly, have you heard of a war caused by buddhists?

I have! A small sect of buddhist monks started a war which led to the slaughter of a great many people. If you would like I can always dig up the facts and figures again, it's been a while since I did my research on the subject.
thoadthetoad
thoadthetoad
5,642 posts
Peasant

Do we even know what slavery was like during the time the bible refers to?

Common theory was something like Asian slavery, right? You know, where someone owes you, so they become your servant of some sort? A couple of pastors have given me this idea. I have no idea if there's a speckle of truth to it, but it's an okay idea.
Avorne
Avorne
3,087 posts
Nomad

Nope - sorry but you're wrong. The Bible talks about how much you can beat your slave and paying a fair price for them - you wouldn't do that if they simply owed you.

Somers
Somers
1,532 posts
Nomad

Speaking of slaves...is it legal to have an indentured servant? Off topic, but always wondered.

MRWalker82
MRWalker82
4,005 posts
Shepherd

Are you referring to the Old testament or the New testament of the Bible? The Old is the Jewish Bible and the New is the reason there are Christians in this world today.

Actually the New Testament is only the records of the life and prophecy related to Jesus. Nowhere does the New Testament negate Old Testament law.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

Actually the New Testament is only the records of the life and prophecy related to Jesus. Nowhere does the New Testament negate Old Testament law.

Doesn't it also specifically state that in the new testament somewhere?
Showing 2491-2505 of 3094