ForumsNews and FeedbackForum Notifications [Admin Response]

20 10505
eunoic
eunoic
50 posts
Nomad

Concerning one's own posts and threads, there are multiple improvements that could be made.

1. There should be a better way to respond to people in threads so that you get a notification of it so that it's easier to find your last conversation.

2. Notifications when someone responds to one of your own threads (can be turned on or off for individual threads)

3. An easy way to find all of your own threads.

4. An easy way to find all of your past posts.

Note: Three and four could be made into a Forum History page, which has been suggested in the past, or your threads could be at the top of your own individual forum page, or have a green bullet point next to them, or something else to distinguish them from the rest.

• 20 Replies
Ferret
Ferret
9,324 posts
Bard

That made me laugh Gman144. I'm going to keep this thread going, it's not being ignored. There seems to be a balance here between search and edit so far?

MacII
MacII
1,315 posts
Shepherd

In my never so humble opinion, a search engine would enhance functionality; whereas an edit option would in the end be mostly cosmetic.

Ferret
Ferret
9,324 posts
Bard

I'll throw a bit of fuel on the fire here. Search is something that can be achieved through Google without us having to build in a feature that includes it, whereas Edit doesn't exist at all.

MacII
MacII
1,315 posts
Shepherd

Heheh. Correct, Ferret; however as I've often said by now, I think (am convinced rather) that a (good) integrated search engine could/would add a lot more versatility/finesses than an advanced Google (or other search engine) search can. Plus, it would (hopefully?) be more intuitive to the average user than an advanced web search might be. (On second thoughts, I've had it that such forum search engines I didn't find very intuitive at all at first, just not exactly whay you'd be accustomed to; only to later learn to find them indispensable. So maybe it is hard to get it right, let alone of course to please 'em all, and so hardly worth the bother. I've known it where as a second option, a simple Google advanced search box would be provided, which probably a majority of users would turn to, just as a matter of habit. Maybe just slap on the latter here? I don't know about the technics of it, but you'd think it can't be hard.)

But so, whatever, it is just my view. I'm thinking mostly in terms of how best to disclose your entire content/archive here, make the forum more of an integrated experience. In that sense, I still think a user post history and/or thread subscriptions would further that end better than even a search function, if a choice has to be made between those two.

Edit function would be nice yes, but then be aware of the possible confusion and consequent arguments it may lead to, I think it was touched on before on this thread. People thinking what was written before has been altered expressly to counter or subvert their arguments in hindsight, and so on. People just missing half an argument or piece of advice since it wasn't there as they were replying; etc. etc.

stinkyjim
stinkyjim
470 posts
Shepherd

I'm going to add my vote in for an edit button.

Showing 16-20 of 20