Forums

ForumsPopular Media

Who is your favorite author?

Posted Aug 30, '13 at 12:07pm

09philj

09philj

875 posts

Please explain properly why you like them.

Easy answer for me: John Wyndham. He, in my opinion, is the greatest science fiction author of all time. He hasn't produced many books, but they are all classics. The best is probably Day of the Triffids. The reason his books are so great is that they don't go in for big, exciting fight scenes and flowery language. Instead, he follows the daily life of people during an unnatural event. The heroes are not muscle bound hunks with no shirts and bazookas. They are ordinary (very 1950s british) men; journalists, bankers, managers, who in the face of a strange and unnerving situation can't do much but keep calm and carry on. Oh, and some of them are absolutely terrifying. Especially The Midwich Cuckoos. Especially if you put yourself in the shoes of one of the women.

Posted Sep 13, '13 at 11:46pm

Drink

Drink

1,551 posts

tbh i hate reading books, the only books i ever enjoyed was the harry potter series, so that kinda puts jk rowling as my favorite

Posted Sep 15, '13 at 7:04am

blackfurydragon

blackfurydragon

37 posts

To me same as Drink. Harry potter ones. :)

Posted Sep 17, '13 at 1:54am

Riptizoid101

Riptizoid101

3,228 posts

Dr. Seuss. The man can write quite the children's book.

Posted Sep 17, '13 at 12:21pm

UnleashedUponMankind

UnleashedUponMankind

4,857 posts

Too many to count them, they are some in (more or less) different styles/kinds... just to throw out a few examples (not the fully list, that would rly burst this place):

Karl Edward Wagner... only one word to say: Kane... ok, maybe a lil bit more, if anyone was able to write good "Conan"-books besides the Robert E. Howard, than him.

J.R.R.Tolkien is one of them, he did not only create the Hobbit/Lord of the Rings books, he create the very mid midgard-universe also (they are much more tales, the whole Ring-story is much wider then the known books).

Terry Pratchett and his discworld universe... must i say anything else?

Douglas Adams.... Hitchhiker´s Guide to the Galaxy... also nothing more to tell.

H.P. Lovecraft, Michael Moorcook... as i say, simply to many to write them down...

Posted Sep 17, '13 at 4:39pm

Nurvana

Nurvana

2,179 posts

Richard Adams. Not only did he write Watership Down, my favorite book, but he always had such a unique style of writing as well as storytelling. He used vague language, not in a precocious effort to appear intelligent, but to write a different story for each reader. The endings to books like Shardik and Tales are great as well.

Posted Sep 20, '13 at 10:52pm

Jacen96

Jacen96

2,155 posts

Tolkein and Tom Clancy are my two most favorite authors

C.S.L. Christopher Paolini are up there as well.

~~~Darth Caedus

Posted Sep 21, '13 at 2:08am

Nurvana

Nurvana

2,179 posts

Christopher Paolini

Why? The Inheritance series was awful. Has he written anything else?

Posted Sep 21, '13 at 3:05pm

jorgea

jorgea

2 posts

Leo Tolstoy

Posted Sep 24, '13 at 1:02am

benni369

benni369

313 posts

Frank Beddor, mainly because he wrote "the looking glass wars" which is my favorite book, and he balances every character out, unlike "Harry Potter" where the attention is mostly drawn around Harry.

Reply to Who is your favorite author?

You must be logged in to post a reply!