Tried posting in the official game forums but it takes days to get approved for posting, I guess...
Any tips for a newbie raider? I just got attacked for the first time yesterday, and I want to try to deliver a little pay back. I put out a bounty, and someone collected on it, but it would be fun to try raiding this jerk myself.
I'm level 15, have a very good collection of level-appropriate equipment and the ability to craft a lot of starter active gear (grenades etc.) Have a fighter-specialized leader, 1 medic, 1 recon, 1 engi, 1 scavenger and the rest fighters.
I just don't even know starter tactics. Should I take all long rifles and range-increasing glasses and try to snipe the defenders out, or does that always lose vs. watch towers? One guy with a melee weapon to kill barriers, or more than that? Do I need to bring my Medic or is the leader good enough? Recon/engi for traps or more fighter heavy?
Any tips appreciated :) I figure at a minimum I'll bring some smoke grenades and satchel charges and at least one guy with a long rifle and see how it works out.
I'm level 42, and I have a bunch of rares and uniques.
Specials aside, I would recommend you to have at least 1 long rifle, 2 fast shotguns or assault rifles and 2 machine guns. I would personally not recommend melee weapons because they are useless against the defenders. Chances are, the defender has loaded their defenses with long rifles and machine guns, so by the time you run to them and try to stab them or club them, your survivors will be dead.
I recommend one engineer armed with a machine gun, assault or improvised. Very useful for disarming traps (they have the highest skill count of all classes in disarming traps).
One recon with a long rifle (obviously). Very useful as they have a specialty with long rifles and detect traps from far away, so you can save your other survivors (they are the only class that can detect traps from a distance). However, keep your recon at a distance from the defenders as they are very fragile. Only bring them into the building after most or all defenders are dead.
One medic is a must. The last thing you want is you failing the mission and gaining none of the loot because all your survivors died. They can be swapped with a leader if you want a healer but want him/her to be able to fight properly.
A scavenger is undoubtedly needed. You only have 7 minutes, and about 3 of those 7 minutes you will need killing defenders and disarming traps. This means you have to scavenge as much as you can in 4 minutes, and reach the safe zone too. With a scavenger, your scavenging speed is reduced by as much as 4x.
You can fill in this gap with any other class you want. I would choose a scavenger or medic, as a fighter's job is filled by the engineer, more or less.
1. Monitor your opponent. Don't jump in to attack straight away. See if your target has made any new buildings. See if he has been raided (destroyed buildings, etc...). Then, find an optimum time and attack.
2. Look at the compound before placing your troops. Look where the compound is most heavily defended, because chances are, this is where most of the defending team will be. Many forget this and randomly place troops, to be met with heavy firing while scavenging and resulting in a failed mission and 5 survivors that are useless for the next day.
If you are armed mainly with long rifles, place your troops a bit further away from a heavily defended area, to maximize your range advantage. If you have more machine guns, try to go into a direct encounter with the defended area. This maximizes your rate of fire and power, while ignoring your low accuracy.
3. Look where the loot is. Find your most needed resource, be it water, food, metal, wood or cloth. Plan to raid the storage before the drop off. Storage is more likely to contain more loot than a drop off, although a drop off has a guarantee to contain a resource (if unlucky, the storage could be empty)
4. Find a suitable spot to put your troops in. As mentioned in Step 2, look at your weapons. Find good cover (where you see a green shield near your mouse) and plant your troops there, depending if you are playing Conservative (long rifles) or Aggressive (machine guns).
5. Eliminate the defenders. Don't just start searching buildings for resources. This may be obvious, but don't forget it.
6. Find and disarm traps. You don't want to be blown up right before you raid a FUEL generator then have a "Mission Failed" screen.
7. If you are the ravager and merciless and reckless person, destroy all their other buildings. Be weary of your time limit though, if your limit is under one minute, rush back to the green zone. And then again, expect a revenge raid as well, and a particularly horrible one (unless they are far lower leveled and have horribly equipped survivors or you are an expert and have a great defense system).
If you are a ravager and merciless destroyer, equip your higher health classes (engineer, fighter, leader) with melee weapons.
There are 4 survivors you will definitely take if you use my strategy. That last fifth space you might want to use a fighter or engineer, equipped with a melee. The other 3 survivors will be sufficient to take out the defending team if they are decently equipped and have good quality gear and weapons (blue, green, purple or rare/unique). If you are high leveled enough, use grenades. Use them on every survivor (provided you have enough grenades). Use the grenades causing more damage to humans. You will waste your grenade by chucking it at a barricade, as the damage is far beyond the barricade's health so throw it where there are human defenders. It deals area damage and is far more worth than throwing at a barricade.
Your melee weapons are going to destroy the buildings anyway, they aren't going to harm any survivors so use their advantages.
Plus, it's far more satisfying to destroy with your own hands and kill defenders with grenades, so this adds to your ego a bit.
Copyright 2005-2013 Armor Games. All Rights Reserved.
Play free online games at Armor Games!
We strive to deliver the best online games experience on the internet, with thousands of free online games for kids, access to free mmorpg games, free online games for girls, online rpg games, fun online flash games, and more. We offer free flash games in many different genres: online shooting games, online puzzle games, online war games, free online car games, free online hidden object games and dozens more. This is the best place on the web to play online games for free... play on Armor Games! No matter what game style you prefer, we've got it here.
As one of the biggest free gaming websites, we offer thousands of new game reviews and ratings, making it easy for gamers to find new games every day. We offer only the best games from developers Jmtb02, Krin, ConArtist, Joey Betz, Tony Lavell, Louissi, Gameinabottle and of course Armor Games develops some of the best games around.
About Armor Games (ArmorGames.com, Armour Games, or Armored Games)
We are dedicated to providing our players the best online gaming experience on the internet! Visit every day to discover new games, achieve high scores, and participate in one of the most active gaming communities.
Submit a Game
Have your game played by millions of gamers! Armor Games welcomes game submissions from talented game developers. Not every game makes the cut, but if it does, we'll promote it on Armor Games and give you all the credit and link back to your site. Submit your game here and good luck!