Forums

ForumsProgramming Forum

I'm new to this and got questions.

Posted Sep 18, '13 at 2:55pm

TheMostManlyMan

TheMostManlyMan

2,922 posts

So I had started learning Javascript from codecademy when I got stuck and realized some things. Anywho, I would like to start learning Flash and creating games but I do have questions.
1: Is it similar to Javascript, and when I say that I mean is is similar enough that I could learn Javascript and just take some time to learn the differences between that and Flash?
2: Would the free flash game creating programs come with tutorials?

I had two or three other questions but, as things go, I forgot them the moment I started typing this.

Thanks.

Posted Sep 21, '13 at 12:52am

weirdlike

weirdlike

527 posts

Knight

if you use flashDevelop then there are tons of tutorials on-line just google ActionScript 3

Posted Sep 29, '13 at 7:13am

Darkroot

Darkroot

2,549 posts

Actionscript is pretty similar to java so I'll just use that as a benchmark for comparison.

Sadly javascript and java have have as much in common as ham and hamster. Basically some idiot/idiots who were making javascript or marketing it deciding slapping java in the front of it would make it more popular. javascript is a scripting language and java is a procedural language aka nothing in common.

Posted Sep 29, '13 at 8:36am

jeol

jeol

3,565 posts

1: In my experience, Actionscript is a lot like Javascript. Most of the syntax of JS is, more or less, in AS... In fact, some of the functions are exactly the same. However, in AS, you usually need to import some key functionality, and being there more variable types, the syntax is a bit more strict, especially in assigning variable types and how they can interact with the stage. However, Flash gives AS some features that makes this functionality powerful and easy to understand - There's no need to call a recursive function from a setTimeout or setInterval just to make a frame, but for new AS programmers or even experienced JS programmers porting over to AS, it could be a little intimidating and/or confusing.

With that said, I would definitely try to learn JS a bit first just to learn general syntax and how the system reacts to things, especially as a first time programmer. You might even want to try HTML5 just to understand how game looping works. Unfortunately, AS has a lot of syntax added onto it for movie clips or sprites that could make it a lot more confusing. While animation is supposedly easier, it's a little bit harder to control from a technical standpoint. In general, if you try to learn AS whether or not you learn JS first, you're still going to have to learn a lot. But like I said, AS might be a little overwhelming if it's your first step into programming - JS is considerably looser in how it's handled and what you can do with it.

Actionscript is pretty similar to java so I'll just use that as a benchmark for comparison.

Really? I would think it would be the other way, at least in my experience.

Posted Sep 29, '13 at 6:42pm

Darkroot

Darkroot

2,549 posts

Well java-script is not a class-based object-oriented language and action-script is. But java-script is tricky since it does support some aspects of what you would consider a OOP language.

I guess in general you could say that action-script is somewhat similar to JavaScript since they are based on ECMAScript, but I would say java is more similar to action-script for the previously mentioned reasons.

Reply to I'm new to this and got questions.

You must be logged in to post a reply!