ForumsProgramming ForumBest approach to creating flash games

3 6406
j0n1n
j0n1n
2 posts
Nomad

Hi guys,

Im new to this forum

I have been wrestling with myself over the past few months on weather to learn c# .net or flash.

I decided to learn flash as my wife is a fairly accomplished Action Script 3 programmer and it made sense as she can help me on the way.also it would be nice to be able to make games for pc as well as android.

i just have a couple of questions:

1) am i better off just biting the bullet and designing a game (not too complex) and learning as i go? or should i do real basic games (like o's and x's) and build up that way?

2) what supplemental software/packages should i be looking at for flash? should i start learning to use photoshop and illustrator or is there a better way to create graphics for flash games. (i dont want my graphics to be too cartoon like)

anyway thanks for reading and looking forward to your input

im amped to get started!!!

• 3 Replies
UnleashedUponMankind
UnleashedUponMankind
7,043 posts
Grand Duke

I think the best point for this is AG Programming Forum

j0n1n
j0n1n
2 posts
Nomad

thanks for that

weirdlike
weirdlike
1,299 posts
Prince

hello if you looking to get started, but unsure of how to go about doing it I highly recommend you start with FlashDevelop. Its completely free so you're not going to spend any money.

Here is a tutorial created by Michael James Williams. Its really an excellent source for learning and understanding classes in as3.

I wouldn't put too much effort into the graphics at first especially if you are not a very skilled artist, as your skills develop in flash you will find that having a good team (programming, art, audio, etc) will really get the ball rolling. I recommend you give gimp a try, but there are other software's like paint.net, GraphicsGale, Pyxel Edit, or Inkscape

the graphic software was taken from this guide, good luck and happy game making

Showing 1-3 of 3