Forums

ForumsNews, Feedback and Suggestions

High Score Question (Hacking?)

Posted Sep 23, '13 at 1:36am

Reton8

Reton8

2,498 posts

1-2 million might be legit, but look at the scores more carefully. Count the zeroes. Those are 1-2 BILLION, literally a thousand times higher.

Sorry, I should have said, I was talking about the scores that start at rank 13 and lower.

Posted Sep 23, '13 at 6:29am

MacII

MacII

1,369 posts

... But so is it a hack, or rather built in to the game? (If it affects so many, you'd think quite a bunch of programmers and/or site keepers and server admins and whatnot should be scratching their heads by now.)

Posted Sep 23, '13 at 12:38pm

Reton8

Reton8

2,498 posts

Yes it's a hack or program someone downloads to do. For Papa's Freezeria it looks like the top 12 or so scores have been hacked. Which isn't too many people considering how many scores there are.

The fact that most games have hacked highscores is because it must not be that difficult to do.

... But so is it a hack, or rather built in to the game?

If you go to the first page of this thread you will see that I did some mathematics. It would take nearly 17 years of non-stop (meaning never taking a single break, playing the game 24 hours a day for 17  years straight) game play to reach the top score and probably 5 years of non-stop game play to get 1 billion points (which is about the other top 13 or so scores.) Also, the top score is matches the exact maximum number of what most computers can store in the data type integer (int32).  On top of the fact that the top highscore is about 2147 times higher than the next most likely legitimate highscore. It's rather obvious the first 13 or so scores were hacked.

you'd think quite a bunch of programmers and/or site keepers and server admins and whatnot should be scratching their heads by now.)

Again, it's apparently not very hard to download some program and hack the game or score. So what happens is most the sites have false highscores. Clearing those scores out helps for a while, but it usually doesn't take long for someone else to come by and hack again. It's usually not feasible to continually be clearly scores of hundreds of games every week for a website.

Sure it may be easy to delete the hacked highscores that are 10 times higher than any other score, they are easy to spot. But what if you delete a highscore 4 times higher than the next highest score that turns out to be real? So website owners don't really have the time to split-hairs over thousands and thousands of highscores and decide whether to delete them. Also, delete a legitimate (non-hacked) highscore and you will have a very angry player on your hands.

Posted Sep 23, '13 at 1:01pm

Amarantamin

Amarantamin

53 posts

If you want to try it in your own spare time, on some single-player games with no achievements or scoreboard (preferably), the most common program used is CheatEngine. Essentially you type in any number that's on screen to find the memory address, and change it to any other number. It's pretty much that easy.

There's another few tricks that have to be done to get it to work with browser games like those on this site; I don't care to discuss how, because I'm not trying to advocate cheating at all. However, load up a single-player game you have downloaded and try CheatEngine out, it's a fun exercise in computer science and can teach you a thing or two about how variables are stored in the processor.

As a fair word though, use it educationally, not maliciously. Don't cheat people out of their hard work; go play something like Skyrim where it doesn't matter if the character is godly. Also, don't try it in MMO's, they use a multiple-check system and store variables server-side, meaning any attempts at changing them are blatantly obvious and immediately blocked.

Posted Sep 23, '13 at 1:48pm

Reton8

Reton8

2,498 posts

If you want to try it in your own spare time, on some single-player games with no achievements or scoreboard (preferably), the most common program used is CheatEngine.

I'm not sure if that was for MacII or myself, but the whole point of my post was to draw attention to the hacking problem and prevent it. I don't want to try it, nor did I want the discussion to take a turn toward showing more people how to do exactly what I want to stop from happening.

I've taken courses in computer programming and if you look at the first page I listed off the data types for storage. I know all about memory leaks, garbage collection, variables, variable arrays, boolean, string, functions, calls, the streamwritter, streamreader, and more. I have programmed more than one application before. Granted my experience is limited and I've only really used the Visual Basic language which is not widely used.

Reply to High Score Question (Hacking?)

You must be logged in to post a reply!