even i changed from Chrome to firefox, the games still show black for me,

Black screen for every single game on armorgames.com

I noticed some comments saying the same problem, guess i'm not the only one

• 221 Replies
SpearAndSword
SpearAndSword
41 posts
Nomad

Unleashed: I'm not sure if you've been following this entire thread because to my knowledge, I'm the one who discovered that net protection programs blocking youtube was one of the causes of the whole black screen problem. I know youtube is blocked from work which is why originally I was getting a black screen with IE there and I know youtube is blocked at home with Chrome. However, at home I'm able to test and remove the block and thus figured it out.

What my new post was saying is that the behavior is no longer the same at work; I don't get a black screen anymore *but* the screen freezes and eventually closes on its own. I can't conduct my own tests at work but if nothing at armorgames has changed, then the logical conclusion is that something with my workplace settings did.

SpearAndSword
SpearAndSword
41 posts
Nomad

http://armorgames.com/community/thread/12043303/cursed-treasure-2

Funny, didn't even consider that something within the game itself might have changed. So apparently IE is the problem if others are experiencing the same thing.

Still holding out hope that Google Ads/links to youtube will be removed at the start of games one day so can play others

SpearAndSword
SpearAndSword
41 posts
Nomad

Whoops, apparently my comments merged into the link above and can't edit it so here it is

http://armorgames.com/community/thread/12043303/cursed-treasure-2

xeano321
xeano321
3,152 posts
Farmer

didn't even consider that something within the game itself might have changed. So apparently IE is the problem if others are experiencing the same thing.

Did you try using Firefox? I haven't had a problem.
SpearAndSword
SpearAndSword
41 posts
Nomad

I know what the problem for me is, which is several pages back. Basically, it's that youtube (from which Google Ads pulls from at the start of every game) is blocked for me at work by the network admin (and where I use IE) and at home from my Net protection program (K9 and where I use Chrome). So it's not a matter of the browser, it's what's being blocked.

However, at home I can check and change my settings of what's being blocked which is how I was able to verify that it was youtube that was the cause of the Black Screen.

All I was stating above was that apparently there are now problems specifically with IE and Cursed Treasure 2 (the main game that I've been playing here) that causes IE to crash before it even gets to the Google Ads/blocking youtube part.

pawlaski
pawlaski
1 posts
Shepherd

Blackscreen to me too

Resource interpreted as Script but transferred with MIME type text/html: "http://www.stumbleupon.com/hostedbadge.php?s=1&r=http%3A%2F%2Farmorgames.com%2Fplay%2F15717%2Fkingdom-rush-frontiers". kingdom-rush-frontiers:405
QUESTS checking quest status g=agi-v2.js:11
event.returnValue is deprecated. Please use the standard event.preventDefault() instead. jquery.min.js:2
QUESTS quests found: 0 g=agi-v2.js:11
QUEST request time 0.374 g=agi-v2.js:12
GET http://gdata.youtube.com/feeds/api/videos/nuPshglnvKc?v=2 404 (Not Found) kingdom-rush-frontiers:1
Received error [IOErrorEvent type="ioError" bubbles=false cancelable=false eventPhase=2 text="Error #2032"] trying to load metadata. VM4613:1
Error: Ad adPlayError error: Invalid media url: http://www.youtube.com/get_video?video_id=nuPshglnvKc&ts=1385379506&t=y2DjIONFtHRKkv5uwMXZFsOcNOI&gad=1. errorCode: 405 VM4669:1
Unable to post message to http://www.stumbleupon.com. Recipient has origin http://armorgames.com.
widgets.js:255

LightWarriorK
LightWarriorK
48 posts
Shepherd

if it's as I'm reading, and mostly just the fact that ArmorGames ads are using YouTube now, and any place where YouTube is blocked will never load the game....the solution is simple:

Set a timeout on the ad. If it doesn't load in a set amount of time, load the game anyways.

Of course, since it's set up to not expire, I can only surmise that this is intentional by ArmorGames. If you can't or won't watch their ad, then you can't play their game. It's not a bad business policy on its face....

But I have to wonder, with the multitude of adverts on the site, what is the cost of people vacating the site completely? I know that ever since the black box appeared, and I haven't been able to play anything, I haven't even been here.

Admittedly, I haven't ready through every page of this discussion yet, but the fact that this remains an issue after 2 months is VERY troubling. In January, Gemcraft Chapter 2 is supposed to be coming out, exclusive here, and as of this posting I can NOT play it because work blocks YouTube. They don't block any other ads, though. Overall, I can see ArmorGames' position on this matter, but I still think it's a jerk move.

SpearAndSword
SpearAndSword
41 posts
Nomad

I still check here every day just in case something's changed and because I feel slightly loyal to Armor Games as it was my first gaming site and I like their layout, but I've been playing at Kongregate since this has happened and they don't have it set up this way. I only play Cursed Treasure 2, trying to regain my progress, so I don't know if it's with other games yet, but I do notice some video thing seems to be embedded on the opening screen. I haven't clicked it to see I can can actually watch it so I don't know if it's from youtube or not, but that fact that it doesn't mess with the loading and playing of the game is a big plus for me.

LightWarriorK
LightWarriorK
48 posts
Shepherd

Yes, I don't check every day, only when a game is listed that I would like to play.

Honestly, I don't know how big a problem this really is, if it's even widespread enough for them to care. For all I know, the tactic has increased their revenues and they have no intention of ever changing back. All I know is that this is the ONLY site I've been to where there isn't some sort of eventual bypass on ads for users who have that content blocked, and that makes me really sad. I used to play on AG all the time, now....hardly ever.

hellklown
hellklown
2 posts
Herald

So sad to see that I will not be able to continue playing due to youtube ads. As other mentioned, perhaps implementing a countdown to close the ad would be better for us. Hopefully something will be done in the future but sadly I'll continue playing at Kongregate in the meantime (being the second choice for my flash playing needs )

firebelias12
firebelias12
1 posts
Peasant

I have the solution:
1) Check if Youtube is blocked in your area or on the computer you are using.
IF YES:
Then try using Ad block plus on mozilla firefox or any other ad blockers on your browser.
IF NO:
Then try updating flashplayer or disabling ad blockers etc
Hope this help You.........

SpearAndSword
SpearAndSword
41 posts
Nomad

This is assuming you have admin rights to the computer in question... it seems most people in this situation are at work or school or library where they don't have control over what they can adjust on the computer....

Squint1
Squint1
3 posts
Farmer

I noticed the AARP ad is crashing and not able to pass it

LightWarriorK
LightWarriorK
48 posts
Shepherd

This is assuming you have admin rights to the computer in question... it seems most people in this situation are at work or school or library where they don't have control over what they can adjust on the computer....

That's my case, for sure.

Unfortunately, I've concluded that the amount of revenue being brought in by these new ads far offsets the number of players cut out by ad blocking that's beyond their control. It's financial: it has to be, given that the issue still persists after 2+ months of this, when an eventual bypass is SO EASY.

As I stated in another thread,
it's what turns a site from using ads to keep the games up, to using the games to draw people in to see more ads.

In any case, I'm done bringing it up here. It's obvious this is the way ArmorGames and/or GoogleAds wants it to be, but I can't let it slide so easily....it's too much of a jerk move. My next move is to take advantage of my email-acquaintance with Peter Hargitai of GameInABottle, who will be releasing GemCraft Chapter 2 exclusively here early next year, and let him know that as things stands, I will not be able to play his game, and why not.
pj7776
pj7776
1 posts
Peasant

Me to black screen

Showing 76-90 of 221