ForumsForum GamesKickstarter thread for potential horror RPG, hosted by Matt Angel!

45 3713
MattEmAngel
MattEmAngel
7,746 posts

Hey guys! Miss me?

I had this a while back, when "The Two Castles" was running. For those who don't know, it had around 18 players and was extremely successful, until I had to remove myself as GM based on conviction and obsession (I dumped a ton of time and energy into it and it interfered with my life).

Having returned to AG, I am considering starting a new, much simpler RPG called "The Woods of the Pages." It's basically a Slenderman game, only text-based.

For those of you who remember "TTC," you know I work hard on making a scene happen and often throw in surprises. As opposed to the traditional Slenderman game, this one will have more than one game mode:
1. Classic:
-Collect 8 pages.
-Inventory: Flashlight.
Slenderman is invincible and inescapable. You will die.
2. Solo Op: Use wits and anything you find.
-Collect 8 pages.
-Inventory: 5 slots.
-Slenderman is invincible but escapable. You can escape.
3. Campaign: An actual story with NPCs.
-Collect 9 pages.
-Inventory: 5 slots.
-Slenderman is invincible but escapable. You can escape.

There will be two versions of 3: Civilian and Military.
3a. Civilian: Try to help unarmed people escape Slenderman and the Woods.
3b. Military: Try to escape on your own with the help of a team.

Perks: I will keep it updated daily if possible, anyone will be able to join at any time, and players that die will be allowed to play again, including selecting a different game mode. It will NOT be easy. You won't be finding wire cutters to cut through the fence.

You can run. You can hide. You can look behind you and see nothing. But he's always there. It's up to you to last as long as possible, but be warned: You are always one step away from death.

-Matt

• 45 Replies
MattEmAngel
MattEmAngel
7,746 posts

Bump, just for the heck of it. Only one, though.

rychus
rychus
1,318 posts

Interesting. I would definitely join up if others decided to play too.

MattEmAngel
MattEmAngel
7,746 posts

I'm hoping to see at least three show up so I can start multiple story lines. I'm considering drawing up a map so I can show where players start and what will be near them, although most likely the world will change per player to make it more difficult.

However, this is a kickstarter thread, which means any and all changes need to happen here. Got any suggestions?

spikeabc
spikeabc
1,672 posts

i will do it
me and rychus FTW

anyway. im not familiar with slender at all. in fact i know almost nothing about it but horror is (or at least can be) an interesting subject, im content on seeing what you create here. count me in.

MattEmAngel
MattEmAngel
7,746 posts

@spike You can learn everything you need to by looking up "Slender: The Eight Pages" on Wikipedia and reading the first two paragraphs. You can also try the game out for yourself. It's a free download.

If you're a bit nervous, watch reaction videos on Youtube for a backseat view of the game.

rychus
rychus
1,318 posts

Slender was ranked with Amnesia in the top horror games of the year ^^. Just to make you feel better, spike.

spikeabc
spikeabc
1,672 posts

If you're a bit nervous, watch reaction videos on Youtube for a backseat view of the game.

no, i play amnesia with headphones in the dark sometimes (which im not proud of)
MattEmAngel
MattEmAngel
7,746 posts

Well, a text-based version isn't going to be able to be as scary, but hopefully it'll get to the point where you have to stop and really think before you post your next move.

xAyjAy
xAyjAy
4,854 posts

mh...are you going to turn it into a text-based rpg or did you plan to program a new flash game about slenderman?

MattEmAngel
MattEmAngel
7,746 posts

Text-based. That's why I'm in Forum Games. Hopefully it will work out pretty well. You know from TTC that I put a lot of planning into things. Same applies to an "escape from prison" RPG I made. I drew maps for every floor, complete with notations and colors. You can bet this one will have planning as well, although you'll have to prepare for the random attacks of Slenderman.

Here's some good news: I'll never post "Suddenly Slenderman appears behind you. You have died." You'll only face insta-kill if you do something stupid, such as "I explore the building." You can legit die in this. Plan your moves.

If we can find one more interested player, I'll make it happen, although I may have to wait until next week. I have large-scale tests Monday and Wednesday. Don't abandon me please! Post suggestions for the game. Keep this thread alive.

MattEmAngel
MattEmAngel
7,746 posts

Also, in response to

mh...are you going to turn it into a text-based rpg or did you plan to program a new flash game about slenderman?

Perhaps you missed the second paragraph of the first post:
It's basically a Slenderman game, only text-based.

Now you know.

I really want some people to sign up for this. I love throwing clever stuff into storylines. The only problem for players is that they'll have to make moves one at a time and get used to being careful. "Classic" will probably be the least exciting, but hey, it's the original game. "Campaign" is going to rock. You can escape?! But Slenderman remains invincible?! NINE pages?!

How could collecting all of the pages possibly relate to escaping a forest surrounded by a wall? How could you fight off an enemy you can't even look at? How could you keep completely unarmed, unprepared people from dying? And how could you WIN?

This isn't a wild-card game like my previous two (Strike or Stealth and The Two Castles). I often provide hints and warnings, but this time it'll be merciless. Stupidity results in death. Bravery results in fear.

Any suggestions on a player card? Name, HP, Bio, Inventory, Sanity?
xAyjAy
xAyjAy
4,854 posts

i do not think we would need something like skill points and skills (strenght, inteligence and so on) in the player card.

mh...i wonder...you can not look at slendy without dieing, but has anyone tried to escape his grasp by finding the pages with CLOSED EYES? sure, it would be longer, but what if someone was born blind and walks into slendy´s woods?

MattEmAngel
MattEmAngel
7,746 posts

mh...i wonder...you can not look at slendy without dieing, but has anyone tried to escape his grasp by finding the pages with CLOSED EYES? sure, it would be longer, but what if someone was born blind and walks into slendy´s woods?

You can actually play the game with the flashlight off, which is pretty much the same thing. Either way, Slenderman kills you by you looking at him or if he catches you, which is why he's always following you. He grabs you from behind. That's why, if you read reviews or watch videos, you have to look at him from time to time, even though it almost kills you: it keeps him from getting close.
StormWalker
StormWalker
8,255 posts

This sounds interesting. My forum time is severely limited now, but I'll join and try to stay active.
Can we ally with Slender?

MattEmAngel
MattEmAngel
7,746 posts

This sounds interesting. My forum time is severely limited now, but I'll join and try to stay active.
Can we ally with Slender?

I'm sticking with the premise that Slenderman is an immortal being from the beginning of time who cannot die or be injured and pretty much just kills/kidnaps people. So, no. That wouldn't be any fun, though. If he was your friend, he'd make you stay in the forest with him forever. And then the game would be over. Right? Unless you mean ally with Slenderman to kill everyone else. You psycho.

Truth is, this won't get started until next week around Wednesday-Thursday. I have huge tests coming up (reality check) and can't afford to put effort into an RPG. However, I'm keeping this thread going and asking for input.
Showing 1-15 of 45