Forums

ForumsForum Games

Kickstarter thread for potential horror RPG, hosted by Matt Angel!

Posted Sep 30, '13 at 10:45am

MattEmAngel

MattEmAngel

6,507 posts

Hey guys! Miss me?

I had this a while back, when "The Two Castles" was running. For those who don't know, it had around 18 players and was extremely successful, until I had to remove myself as GM based on conviction and obsession (I dumped a ton of time and energy into it and it interfered with my life).

Having returned to AG, I am considering starting a new, much simpler RPG called "The Woods of the Pages." It's basically a Slenderman game, only text-based.

For those of you who remember "TTC," you know I work hard on making a scene happen and often throw in surprises. As opposed to the traditional Slenderman game, this one will have more than one game mode:
1. Classic:
-Collect 8 pages.
-Inventory: Flashlight.
Slenderman is invincible and inescapable. You will die.
2. Solo Op: Use wits and anything you find.
-Collect 8 pages.
-Inventory: 5 slots.
-Slenderman is invincible but escapable. You can escape.
3. Campaign: An actual story with NPCs.
-Collect 9 pages.
-Inventory: 5 slots.
-Slenderman is invincible but escapable. You can escape.

There will be two versions of 3: Civilian and Military.
3a. Civilian: Try to help unarmed people escape Slenderman and the Woods.
3b. Military: Try to escape on your own with the help of a team.

Perks: I will keep it updated daily if possible, anyone will be able to join at any time, and players that die will be allowed to play again, including selecting a different game mode. It will NOT be easy. You won't be finding wire cutters to cut through the fence.

You can run. You can hide. You can look behind you and see nothing. But he's always there. It's up to you to last as long as possible, but be warned: You are always one step away from death.

-Matt

Posted Sep 30, '13 at 7:28pm

MattEmAngel

MattEmAngel

6,507 posts

Bump, just for the heck of it. Only one, though.

Posted Sep 30, '13 at 11:37pm

rychus

rychus

1,301 posts

Interesting. I would definitely join up if others decided to play too.

Posted Oct 1, '13 at 12:34pm

MattEmAngel

MattEmAngel

6,507 posts

I'm hoping to see at least three show up so I can start multiple story lines. I'm considering drawing up a map so I can show where players start and what will be near them, although most likely the world will change per player to make it more difficult.

However, this is a kickstarter thread, which means any and all changes need to happen here. Got any suggestions?

Posted Oct 1, '13 at 2:52pm

spikeabc

spikeabc

1,696 posts

i will do it
me and rychus FTW

anyway. im not familiar with slender at all. in fact i know almost nothing about it but horror is (or at least can be) an interesting subject, im content on seeing what you create here. count me in.

Posted Oct 1, '13 at 5:06pm

MattEmAngel

MattEmAngel

6,507 posts

@spike You can learn everything you need to by looking up "Slender: The Eight Pages" on Wikipedia and reading the first two paragraphs. You can also try the game out for yourself. It's a free download.

If you're a bit nervous, watch reaction videos on Youtube for a backseat view of the game.

Posted Oct 1, '13 at 7:40pm

rychus

rychus

1,301 posts

Slender was ranked with Amnesia in the top horror games of the year ^^. Just to make you feel better, spike.

Posted Oct 1, '13 at 8:05pm

spikeabc

spikeabc

1,696 posts

If you're a bit nervous, watch reaction videos on Youtube for a backseat view of the game.

no, i play amnesia with headphones in the dark sometimes (which im not proud of)

Posted Oct 1, '13 at 8:09pm

MattEmAngel

MattEmAngel

6,507 posts

Well, a text-based version isn't going to be able to be as scary, but hopefully it'll get to the point where you have to stop and really think before you post your next move.

Posted Oct 3, '13 at 6:15pm

xAyjAy

xAyjAy

4,903 posts

mh...are you going to turn it into a text-based rpg or did you plan to program a new flash game about slenderman?

Reply to Kickstarter thread for potential horror RPG, hosted by Matt Angel!

You must be logged in to post a reply!