Forums

ForumsForum Games

Kickstarter thread for potential horror RPG, hosted by Matt Angel!

Posted Oct 10, '13 at 5:38pm

Nerdsoft

Nerdsoft

1,009 posts

So, yeah. Only in Classic would it truly not matter what the pages say, but face it. You're going to die. Being blind and trying to find pages is going to make you die faster. Slenderman kills in two ways, remember. From looking at him or from him grabbing you from behind.

LOGICAL FAILURE DETECTED
Slenderman only grabs you to turn you around so you can see him. Being blind would actually be quite a cool twist. So, like, a gamemode called "Blind Shepherd" where you have to get civilians out of the woods before Slendy kills them all. You can't die because you're blind - unless you starve.

Posted Oct 10, '13 at 5:40pm

MattEmAngel

MattEmAngel

4,115 posts

Well the sightings would kind of seem to be at your whim. So I'm not sure if that'd work very well. (Not that I'm saying that you're biased, just making an observation)

True. As GM, I'd be in control of Slender at all times, so I don't want to make too many "random" elements. It would be way too hard to keep it fair.

I don't like Stamina either. Not that I'm saying people could just run and run and run forever, they do need time to sleep, but it could get annyoing and people do push themselves sometimes. Especially when they're running from things. Maybe you could have people lose, idk, health or something.
Is there going to be a health thing? Like, say you were exploring or something and then you twisted your ankle. Would that be sort of a status?

I've never liked Stamina. In this case, though, it could be as simple as you get to run for a total of 10 turns (posts). If you see a structure, you could post "I run to the structure." I would deduct 10 Stamina from 100. It would replenish by, say, not running for five turns in a row?

HP is out. Although I could add an "Injury" stat. It would make your actions more difficult. For example, if somehow you had a twisted ankle, you could say "I walk to the structure" and you would only make it halfway, meaning you would have to waste another turn trying to get there.

Unfortunately, there would be absolutely no time to heal and no way to heal. Broken limbs don't return to normal, and I'm not adding "MedPacks" to instantly fix problems. This is meant to be physically realistic.

What do you mean by forging? Just making random things? Like, "I taped a bunch of sticks to my arms because not having sticks on your arm is too mainstream." Except I probably won't do something that stupid. Say it's armor of a sort. Would that deter Slender if he tried to grab you or something? Would there be a way we could somehow recharge our batteries? It's up to you.

Hm. That's a pretty good reason to rule out Forging altogether. Alright, forging is out. As for your question, any and all items would be used to help you find a way out of the woods. Armor would not help you at all, and neither would a trap or a physical weapon. Slenderman kills in two ways: Eye contact or he grabs you from behind. You could stay alive by simply keeping your back against a wall and closing your eyes. In fact, you could survive by having two people back-to-back facing opposite directions, because he never moves if you're looking at him.

But I'm not going to make it that easy. People in Campaign aren't going to just let you take over. It's going to get a bit complicated.

All I have to mention is that sort of 'status' thing. I'm not sure if/how well that would work, though, and you don't have to feel obligated to add it in.

It would just be a counter. I'll leave it out because it wouldn't mean anything if you survived. All that matters is the number of pages you collected.

wait, sanity? what if i am allready insane?

You aren't. Slenderman is a "How did I get here?" set-up, more or less. You're a perfectly normal human being who is in a woods in the dark and has a flashlight. I will give you a foreknowledge of the place and of who Slenderman is, though. It's not going to be "I'm alone, guess I'll just run around because there's nothing dangerous here!"

Although you might do that If you're insane.

stamina...could we train ourself to outrun slendy as soon as we see him? can we carry more items when we have enough stamina? that would make us slower, but we could just drop the heaviest items to run faster.

Stamina would be a standard. If you decide to run, you use up 10 out of 100. Weight and all just make for a headache. Plus, you're not going to find something that heavy anyway.

Posted Oct 10, '13 at 5:53pm

MattEmAngel

MattEmAngel

4,115 posts

LOGICAL FAILURE DETECTED
Slenderman only grabs you to turn you around so you can see him. Being blind would actually be quite a cool twist. So, like, a gamemode called "Blind Shepherd" where you have to get civilians out of the woods before Slendy kills them all. You can't die because you're blind - unless you starve.

I said what was ON the pages didn't matter. You still have to collect them, and you can't if you're blind. This is meant to be physically realistic, i.e. no MedPacks for instant healing or Speed Boosts, but then again HP is out so breaking a leg is impossible. If you're blind, you'll need a walking stick to get around, because increased senses can't tell you if you're about to walk into a tree. It would make your gameplay extremely frustrating, because I'm not going to clear a path for you. If you walk into a tree, you have a good chance of walking straight into another one.

Posted Oct 10, '13 at 5:55pm

MattEmAngel

MattEmAngel

4,115 posts

Updates:

HP is out. You cannot trip and break a leg.

Forging is out. Items are used for a specific purpose. You may be able to find a flashlight battery, though (except in Classic), but you'd be using it correctly.

Stamina will be added, but it will have an unchanging standard.

Flashlight % will stay because it was a huge element of the original game. I actually lost because my flashlight died and I had no way to replenish it. However, your flashlight will not die quickly. Maybe -2 out of 100 per turn. I think dead flashlight is a stupid way to lose. But it is a way.

Inventory items will be backpack-sized. In fact, I'm going to change it to "Pack" to make it slightly more realistic. Classic mode will not have a Pack for obvious reasons.

Items that can be discovered are only available in Solo Op and Campaign will be realistic. For example, in Classic, you may encounter a car, but it's locked and you can't get in. In Solo Op, it may have an unlocked door. You will have to choose where to search, though.

After dying, you are allowed to restart the game an infinite number of times. The map will remain unchanged, meaning you will have an easier time knowing where to go.

Instead of the screen getting fuzzy to represent Slenderman being near, you will simple begin to lose vision ("blacking out" slowly). Sometimes the effect goes away on its own. Sometimes you have to move a few steps to make it go away. Sometimes you have to run. It can and will drain your Sanity.

------

Alright, I think I have something to work with. Let me know what you think.

Posted Oct 10, '13 at 6:20pm

rychus

rychus

1,189 posts

So far so good. I didn't much like the fact of forging/crafting.
I have a small suggestion, and it's linked to sanity. If your sanity is low, it should be harder to manipulate things with your hands. It may be to complicated to do, so its just a suggestion.

Posted Oct 10, '13 at 7:00pm

MattEmAngel

MattEmAngel

4,115 posts

I have a small suggestion, and it's linked to sanity. If your sanity is low, it should be harder to manipulate things with your hands. It may be to complicated to do, so its just a suggestion.

More like shaking hands and stuff. I already plan to add hallucinations, nausea, dizziness, etc for low sanity.

Posted Oct 10, '13 at 7:50pm

StormWalker

StormWalker

2,799 posts

HP is out. You cannot trip and break a leg.

Forging is out. Items are used for a specific purpose. You may be able to find a flashlight battery, though (except in Classic), but you'd be using it correctly.

Okay. That would've made things complicated anyway.

Sounds good! I'm all ready to play.

Posted Oct 10, '13 at 8:01pm

MattEmAngel

MattEmAngel

4,115 posts

Final preparations are underway. I'll try to have it up tomorrow (need to finish a map and a storyline. You know, the important stuff I've been too lazy to do).

Posted Oct 11, '13 at 3:45pm

xAyjAy

xAyjAy

1,683 posts

and what if my character broke out of a lunatic asylum before he got into slendy┬┤s woods?

Posted Oct 11, '13 at 6:00pm

spikeabc

spikeabc

1,004 posts

wait so has the game actually started or is this still the kickstarter?

Reply to Kickstarter thread for potential horror RPG, hosted by Matt Angel!

You must be logged in to post a reply!