Forums

ForumsPopular Media

Anime Becoming Mainstream!?

Posted Oct 5, '13 at 1:05am

Riptizoid101

Riptizoid101

3,384 posts

Anime becoming as mainstream as American TV shows? That would be great, and it's something that I've been rooting for ever since I became a semi-Otaku.

People should learn what anime really is about. I think it's because most Americans that don't watch or read anime and manga believe that any animated TV show can't have heartwarming and deep stories due to the past cartoonist's own fault. We believe that true emotions can only be felt if we watch a live actor doing it, but I think that we should value more about the story. Sure, animation and live acting both have their ups and downs, but they're not genres nor are they confined by demographics.

Both can be for adults, both can be for teens, both can be for children. They're just stylistic ways of presenting a story.

Posted Oct 5, '13 at 1:24pm

Alexandra222

Alexandra222

261 posts

By the way check out gigguk he made a video about this and i think forneverworld (on youtube)

Yeah, I saw that video which inspired me to make this thread.

Anime becoming as mainstream as American TV shows? That would be great, and it's something that I've been rooting for ever since I became a semi-Otaku.

Though it's true, more views mean more populatiry which leads to better stuff. But think about what happened to Naruto and Bleach. They both started out very strong but the plot gets boring and more predictable as the story progresses. Also, due to the mangaka usually not being able to catch up with the animation, they create more fillers and useless arcs. And did you not see what happened to the cringe-worthy incident of Kpop when Gangnam Style became viral!?!? Not to mention more annoying people who don't have a clue about anime and make memes, judge anime without even watching/understanding the actual plot, also known as tards!

Posted Oct 5, '13 at 8:14pm

MacII

MacII

1,369 posts

Anime has been mainstream for a while now.

Those typical-style Japanese cartoons were popular on Venezuelan TV in the mid-70's.

Go figure. As the good man said, it's like déjà-vu all over again ;)

Posted Oct 5, '13 at 9:05pm

Alexandra222

Alexandra222

261 posts

Actually, anime isn't mainstream, Yes some are but not anime as a whole. Compare the amount of views Death Note has with some popular TV show with real people.

Posted Oct 5, '13 at 9:28pm

nichodemus

nichodemus

12,164 posts

Knight

It's mainstream, at least from where I come from. You can find at least one person who watches anime in a group of say half a dozen; they're not a rare species.

And it's all very relative; if you're in Japan, it definitely is without a doubt really likely (Quadruple positive!) going to be part of their mainstream culture, whereas if you consider the States for example, it most probably isn't.

Posted Oct 6, '13 at 3:28am

thebluerabbit

thebluerabbit

2,915 posts

(google it if you don't know the meaning).

oh i do lol.

Princess Mononoke is a really great movie! It was animated by the company called Studio Ghibli. The art is decent and the plot is AMAZING! If you want, you can introduce her to more movies by the same studio first such as

Spirited away
Howl's moving castle
Whisper of the heart
My neighbour Totoro

tried to no avail. she is very difficult and will immidiatly look down upon any movie i will recommend her (even though she is the one usually taking me to awful movies). she just KNOWS that princess mononoke is the only anime of its type and that every other anime is completely different.
btw. watched 3 out of those and own the 4th but havnt watched.

I dont want anime to become main stream if it dose producers will put less effort and i like the feeling that there is only a small group of people it makes you feel uniqe and its kindve like a family sence if you find someone on the street with a fullmetal alchemist t shirt your automaticly there friend (or atleast try to be) and its kindve like a bond between all anime fans but then again this is coming from a 13yr old so use ur best judgement on that

i have to agree. many things became much worse because they got too popular. i hope that doesnt happen to anime but i doubt it since again... anime isnt a genre. if it DOES become mainstream people will finally get it and then the more popular genres will become mainstream while the other rare gems will probably stay the same.

oh wow yeah you just reminded me. over here in israel there was a time when anime was really really mainstream for us children yet nobody even knew they were animes lol.

alfred j qwack

Posted Oct 6, '13 at 2:06pm

Alexandra222

Alexandra222

261 posts

tried to no avail. she is very difficult and will immidiatly look down upon any movie i will recommend

Have you tried showing her trailers? I show trailers of upcoming anime to my friends and they either don't care because it's not their style or they would grow intrest and research about the anime and watch it.  I'm terrible at suggesting things, I know.

And it's all very relative; if you're in Japan, it definitely is without a doubt really likely (Quadruple positive!) going to be part of their mainstream culture

From what I heard, it's not even that mainstream in Japan. In fact, there are some anime that are more popular in the western area than in Japan. And it's not because of the amount of population but it's more based off of preference.

Posted Oct 12, '13 at 7:31am

BeowulfMarine

BeowulfMarine

30 posts

Anime itself isn't necessarily becoming mainstream, depending on what you consider "mainstream". Take Attack on Titan as an example. AoT is getting pretty popular in the states, all things considered. The only reason, in my opinion, that is happening is because it just so happens to appeal to a huge chunk of the american audience. Now take something that's generally considered "anime" like Chuunibyou or Boku Wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai. That moe stuff that's often associated with modern anime. Completely opposite. TL;DR, Most anime not mainstream, anime that happens to appeal to a broad american audience = popular(-ish).

From what I heard, it's not even that mainstream in Japan. In fact, there are some anime that are more popular in the western area than in Japan.

True, anime is a really niche market, even in Japan. But it's still prevalent. There are trains with anime ads on them, some stores use anime to advertise,  the JGSDF set up a booth at some convention or event and used anime as a medium, and one of the JGSDF units used an anime artstyle on a helicopter to mark an anniversary. The Helicopter: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl … r

The booth (Don't quite know the story for this one so take it with a grain of salt :V) :https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/68824667/Various%20Pictures/7277_10151431618761680_653388417_n.jpg

So, It's kind of a grey area IMO. It's not necessarily mainstream, but it's not unpopular either.

Posted Oct 13, '13 at 12:50am

Drink

Drink

1,589 posts

i love anime and idc what anyone has to say about it, i mostly go for the action anime though like dbz and fma

Reply to Anime Becoming Mainstream!?

You must be logged in to post a reply!