ForumsPopular MediaAnime Becoming Mainstream!?

18 18947
Alexandra222
Alexandra222
2,779 posts
Nomad

This was posted previously in the Tavern thread but I found this catagory more suitable. If you've stumbled apon the other one, please ignore it. I asked a mod to close it down.

If you don't like anime and you just came to complain, then leave this thread.
I'm going to be giving a small rant and disscussion about anime and it's popularity and I will be quite biased since I haven't done a lot of reaserch besides what I've been hearing/discussing with people I know.

Now lately, I've been hearing a lot of people at school, online and in public places talk about why they want anime to become mainstream. By mainstream, I mean that it becomes as popular as famous american TV shows like The Walking Dead. Now, let me talk about the chances of it actually happening here.

Now, the chances of anime realistically becoming mainstream is very unlikely. And I mean very unlikely. Why? Because of the one word that turns most people away; Cartoon.

Anime is basically a Japanese cartoon and whenever people think of the word cartoon it's either the childish ones that air on teletoon or the adult comedy ones like Family Guy. The ones that kids or teens watch and parents would facepalm at their kids because it's so imature. That's the one reason people would chose The Walking Dead over High School Of The Dead (Who am I kidding? The walking dead beats HOTD by a million). You can explain the distinct differences all you want. People can listen until you run out of air but it doesn't change their opinion because of it being a cartoon. But let me go on a long rant on how hard it is to be an animator compared to a regular live action TV show, actually.....nevermind.

The only anime that does somehow get onto TV are the english dubed ones like One Peice and Pokemon(or anythink 4kidz dubbed) that sometimes make anime more childish than it apears. Now I do admit, anime is quite childish and imature. Not in a way that only 8 year olds would watch it but there is always some overly exaggerated fighting skills, cliche endings, perverted echi scenes and plots that sometimes makes no sense towards the audience outside the little group of anime fans. They always appeal to teens but it's also something adults would facepalm over. Anime is something for all ages whether you are 6 years and love cute things or a hardcore shounen lover whose into Sword Art Online or Blue Exorcist(terrible example) there are also really good morals and sad scenes that make you cry more than when someone in american film dies(seriously). But it doesn't matter if the anime has a really deep meaning because all the weirdness in the anime is what make people overlook it and forget about it.

Now I know some really good animes like Attack On Titan that don't have a lot of weirdness and it delivers a really good hidden message but I'm talking about anime in general. To be honest, outside of the fandom eye there are pretty weird moments and characters. But there are really sweet and heartbreaking moments in anime that makes you sad, some golden moments that make you cheer on for you character. Yes those moments are what make anime the greates thing ever to an Otaku's eyes. Now lets think about what would happen if anime did become mainstream.

Let me just remind you that anime isn't NEVER going to become mainstream. The chances are just VERY unlikely

Even if anime isn't suited for everyone, being as part of that small group who appreciates it is great. I like being in that small group because it makes me feel unique compared to everyone else. It would be nice to wear a Madoka Magica T-shirt without having friends or collegues asking you what it is and having to explain everything about the anime. I also want to be able to talk to people about my favourite anime without people going "what?". In fact, with more people watching anime, producers could make sequels and more people would buy their merchandise and companies can make more money creating better animations. But lets think about what would happen if anime was mainstream. I mean, if it was as popular as most of the popular TV shows in america, then there will be those stupid people who make fun of a series or anime in general. There will also be haters and immature idiots who overlook anime because of how it's presented. There will also be more useless memes that just makes you feel ashamed like when Light Yagami from death note says "I'll take a potato chip.....AND EAT IT" in the english dubbed. Like I said before, it doesn't matter if an anime has a deep meaning or really dramatic scenes, they will find ways to bash at anime or make it sound less appealing.

However, even if the chances of say, Kuroko no Basuke or Durarara or an anime you haven't heard of yet making it into american TV is probably less than 20% right now, there are more and more people getting into anime. I'd explain how but that would take too long.

Now's a chance to discuss your opinions, what are your thoughts on anime becoming mainstream? Would you want it to become mainstream? Why and why not?

• 18 Replies
Alexandra222
Alexandra222
2,779 posts
Nomad

tried to no avail. she is very difficult and will immidiatly look down upon any movie i will recommend

Have you tried showing her trailers? I show trailers of upcoming anime to my friends and they either don't care because it's not their style or they would grow intrest and research about the anime and watch it. I'm terrible at suggesting things, I know.

And it's all very relative; if you're in Japan, it definitely is without a doubt really likely (Quadruple positive!) going to be part of their mainstream culture

From what I heard, it's not even that mainstream in Japan. In fact, there are some anime that are more popular in the western area than in Japan. And it's not because of the amount of population but it's more based off of preference.
BeowulfMarine
BeowulfMarine
39 posts
Nomad

Anime itself isn't necessarily becoming mainstream, depending on what you consider "mainstream". Take Attack on Titan as an example. AoT is getting pretty popular in the states, all things considered. The only reason, in my opinion, that is happening is because it just so happens to appeal to a huge chunk of the american audience. Now take something that's generally considered "anime" like Chuunibyou or Boku Wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai. That moe stuff that's often associated with modern anime. Completely opposite. TL;DR, Most anime not mainstream, anime that happens to appeal to a broad american audience = popular(-ish).

From what I heard, it's not even that mainstream in Japan. In fact, there are some anime that are more popular in the western area than in Japan.

True, anime is a really niche market, even in Japan. But it's still prevalent. There are trains with anime ads on them, some stores use anime to advertise, the JGSDF set up a booth at some convention or event and used anime as a medium, and one of the JGSDF units used an anime artstyle on a helicopter to mark an anniversary. The Helicopter: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=0aaOZrNWqLU

The booth (Don't quite know the story for this one so take it with a grain of salt :V) //dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/68824667/Various%20Pictures/7277_10151431618761680_653388417_n.jpg

So, It's kind of a grey area IMO. It's not necessarily mainstream, but it's not unpopular either.
Drink
Drink
1,622 posts
Blacksmith

i love anime and idc what anyone has to say about it, i mostly go for the action anime though like dbz and fma

Showing 16-18 of 18