Forums

ForumsWorld Events, Politics, Religion, Etc.

Gender Identity

Posted Jan 3, '14 at 2:31pm

EmperorPalpatine

EmperorPalpatine

4,977 posts

Is it ethical for mtf transsexuals to play female sports?
Or, should mtf transsexuals be allowed to play in female sports?
(if you want, place converse situation in)

I'd prefer it if there were just "Sports", not with any divides. I don't see it any different than a "whites only" game where someone had their skin bleached. Back when that sort of discrimination was permissible, they'd likely amend the rules to say "born white". It's unethical to join under those rules/expectations, but that doesn't make the division itself good.

Posted Jan 3, '14 at 4:00pm

Kasic

Kasic

5,572 posts

I'd prefer it if there were just "Sports", not with any divides.

^. The problem is that we're still separating based on gender. For sports to truly be competitive, they should be open for anyone to play so long as they have the skills. This will mean different combinations of people will likely become dominant in certain areas (for instance, not many women are big enough to play as a 400lb linebacker) but beat out others for their differences. Gender, race, and whatever else shouldn't be a factor. Even if you want to argue about locker room stuff, or sexual harassment, that's a different issue altogether (and locker rooms really are a non-issue).

Posted Jan 3, '14 at 9:26pm

pangtongshu

pangtongshu

8,276 posts

Now then, in cases like baseball, would females be allowed to keep their underhand pitching style, or have to adhere to the pitching forms of major league play now?

Also, what of sports such as CrossFit or competitive lifting, in which if we did break said divide we would create a game in which one would be hard-pressed to find a female breaking into the top 25..or top 50, to be less lenient.

Posted Jan 3, '14 at 11:14pm

Pazx

Pazx

4,494 posts

more stuff about chromosomes i forgot earlier

If it was just "sports" without the gender divide it would continue to be male-dominated.

Or, should mtf transsexuals be allowed to play in female sports?

From what I said on pang's profile:

From a legal perspective it's probably illegal to exclude them, but if a trans woman were to achieve the highest level of any sport it would certainly cause significant controversy. Personally if I was transgender I'd like to play sport with my own gender but I think it would be unethical of me to play at a level where I'm paid to do so.

Posted Jan 4, '14 at 7:49am

pangtongshu

pangtongshu

8,276 posts

If it was just "sports" without the gender divide it would continue to be male-dominated

Essentially what I was getting at with my mentioning of competitive lifting. Nothing that is explicit against or for one gender, just how it is biologically.

Posted Jan 12, '14 at 10:19am

chrystalfox

chrystalfox

19 posts

should mtf transsexuals be allowed to play in female sports

Here is a link.

link.

Anyway, the big deal is that males are generally better at physical activity. That's just how it is. They don't want "men" competing in female sport leagues because there might be an unfair advantage. Most of it is explained in the link.

Posted Jan 12, '14 at 5:11pm

ellock

ellock

277 posts

Wow, I was not expecting such a touchy topic! I mean, I should have expected one, but I did not.

I think - for me personally- your gender is in your genetics. XX girl and XY boy and XXY for the rare case of hermaphroditism. However, your perception of your gender is subjective. So while you are born male/female you could identify as the other. Weather this is correct or not is not something I am going to go into. I do think, though, that a lot of people fake it. People want to do anything to stand out and prove how much of a special and unique individual they really are. This is making light of something that can be a serious issue. As people going around heavily believing that they are NOT a male when, in reality, they are. Nothing can really change your genetic gender; you could however, change the expression of the genes by body alterations or hormones introduced to the body.

Posted Jan 12, '14 at 9:15pm

Cambyses

Cambyses

139 posts

. People want to do anything to stand out and prove how much of a special and unique individual they really are

It kind of stems from a lack of appreciation for what a person already has. Or an adverse, spiteful reaction to social mores which are present. Although I know this is a generalization based on personal experience, some people who identify themselves as the opposite gender is the result of genuine dissatisfaction with life.
And, as society slowly moves towards being more universally accepting, people are less inhibited from acting on a small inclination and coming out full throttle to steamroll a new movement towards equality.

Posted Jan 13, '14 at 6:05pm

rafterman

rafterman

623 posts

Realistically yes. After some time on HRT, mtfs and ftms will develop similar muscles to their target gender. Specifically to your question, an mtf's muscles will atrophy down to female levels unless they put the same effort into maintaining their muscles as a natal female would. If anything they would be at a slight disadvantage due to a heavier skeletal system with similar muscle mass.

Posted Jan 25, '14 at 9:17am

chrystalfox

chrystalfox

19 posts

There seems to be constant misunderstanding in this thread.

Gender is how someone identifies

Sex is what they were born as.

Thought I would clear that up

Reply to Gender Identity

You must be logged in to post a reply!