ForumsWEPRPublic Schools

28 11570
KnightDeclan
KnightDeclan
478 posts
Nomad

Public schools are just getting worse and worse. Sometimes I feel like homeschooling would be the best answer. Private schools are just as bad (I'm at a catholic school, but we have a jewish teacher, yarmulka and all!) This guy really explains the dangers of it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDZFcDGpL4U

• 28 Replies
KnightDeclan
KnightDeclan
478 posts
Nomad

btw, sorry for the broken link, just copy and paste it, but I won't respond to any hate until next week.

EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,442 posts
Jester

Sometimes I feel like homeschooling would be the best answer.

By parents or by tutors? Parent's aren't usually up to date on what they know (including technology or software programs that are common in the modern workforce [MS Word, Excel, etc]), nor are they often specialized in a field. And tutors would tend to bring the same problems described in the video.
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

A lil off topic..the ADHD part irks me..as he seems to imply that ADHD really isn't a thing (ADD, on the other hand...).
It especially irks me given that I have a fairly strong ADHD, but there are people that do not agree with the disorder because of the 10% mis-diagnosis rate from the '90's. Well, at least 10%.
But..this is all a matter for a different thread..

-----

In terms of education, I think the Nordic/Scandinavian people have it right.

I must be honest, I'm a bit surprised with you, Declan. A bit of a liberal route you are taking here, eh?

Private schools are just as bad (I'm at a catholic school, but we have a jewish teacher, yarmulka and all!

...oh no?
xeano321
xeano321
3,152 posts
Farmer

By parents or by tutors? Parent's aren't usually up to date on what they know (including technology or software programs that are common in the modern workforce [MS Word, Excel, etc])

Ummm... What happened to history, algebra, english, grammar, geography? Seems to me that those are more important then Excel.
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,442 posts
Jester

What happened to history, algebra, english, grammar, geography? Seems to me that those are more important then Excel.

That was the "nor are they often specialized in a field" part.
Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

Not gonna watch the video because I'm a rebel. Seriously, though, providing a single video for something as broad as this seems a little thin. I'd rather not constrain myself to the content shown, whatever it may be.

Public schools are just getting worse and worse.

Why? Don't regurgitate the stuff you saw in the video.

Why? You need to back your opinions up.

Private schools are just as bad

Again, why?

(I'm at a catholic school, but we have a jewish teacher, yarmulka and all!)

What's so bad about having a Jewish teacher at a Catholic school? I bet you'd much rather have a Jewish teacher rather than an atheist one. And keep in mind, Judaism and Catholicism aren't very different in comparison to, say, Buddhism. Your teacher isn't posing a harm to you.

This guy really explains the dangers of it.

dangers

What dangers? Like I said, I'm not going to watch the video, so I want you to explain to me in your own words how public and private schools could be considered dangerous.

By parents or by tutors? Parent's aren't usually up to date on what they know (including technology or software programs that are common in the modern workforce [MS Word, Excel, etc])

Microsoft software isn't difficult to use. Just about any kid can turn on a computer, load up MS Word and start typing away. Wouldn't be too hard for them to spend a few minutes experimenting now and again to see what the program does.

nor are they often specialized in a field.

Is that needed? A lot of parents send their children to high school by the time they start advanced stuff anyway. For the elementary, middle and early high school years, I see no problem in home schooling.

And Xeano made a good point:

Ummm... What happened to history, algebra, english, grammar, geography? Seems to me that those are more important then Excel.

In my personal experience, public school seemed fine. I don't have anything to compare it to, though.
Nurvana
Nurvana
2,523 posts
Farmer

Private schools are just as bad

Clown statement bro. I had a lot of buddies in the public school system, and people smearing excrements on the wall seems like less of a hassle than having a Jewish teacher. I went to high school in dixie, so catholics were actually a minority at my catholic school, but that doesn't change the message of the administration. A baptist guy teaching me trigonometry isn't going to impact my beliefs.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

Home schooling can offer a better education, but it can also result in a far worse education as well. It all depends on what the parents do. A kid who is receiving a well rounded education with parents or a tutor providing them with all the necessary material will likely do better than what you get from public schools. A kid being kept out of a public school because the parents don't want their kid learning certain things and wish to teach their own dogma will likely do worse overall.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

Okay just got done watching the video, not a bad video by the way. Not exactly sure how it related to some of what you are saying though.

I do agree that we probably should change how we teach kids. Not having some sort of standard by which to work from might be very difficult to set up and maintain. One of the main issues I see that has become worse over the past 12 years or so is that kids are not really learning how to think. They are just learning how to take tests. The focus on testing has just increased over the years going right along with this decline elsewhere in education.

Sonatavarius
Sonatavarius
1,322 posts
Farmer

I dunno which is theoretically more beneficial... Homeschool allows for personalized tutoring catered to the student's every need, but public school with really great teachers allows for the student to have more than one mental whet stone by which to sharpen their mind.... it also allows for a greater number and range of social opportunities. Personally, I feel like the public school route is better. I have several friends who were homeschooled in grade school in my medical school class and there really isn't much of a difference. They have a few peculiar personality quirks, but then again everyone pretty much does if you look for them.

I received my undergraduate education from a small private Southern Baptist institution. The national average for getting into medical school is something like 25% of applicants each year (give or take)... My college boasts about an 85% acceptance rate for its graduates getting in (they pop out something like 200 degrees a year (also give or take)). I'm sure that number is somewhat inflated somehow, but even if you cut that in half it's still a respectable number.

I feel like it's not so much the institution as it is the student that determine's the fate of the student. The best teachers in the world are going to have a hard time helping someone who just doesn't care.... and if the person cares they will move all of the mountains within their ability regardless of where they're at

I feel like No Child Left Behind is effectively "Every Child Left Behind" and that people are starting to think that everyone else should do the work for them. There's a cartoon drawing somewhere that depicts a student-parent-teacher conference now and back in the day... the past encounter shows the kid's report card with an F and the parents are looking at the kid basically saying "WTF?"... the one regarding the present basically flips the situation and has them condemning the teacher. I've witnessed that happen on multiple occasions where a student refused to any and all work and failed his/her senior year of high school, and that person expected to graduate and walk. When the teacher didn't give them the grade they needed the teacher started receiving death threats from the person's family and stuff of that nature.

It sounds somewhat cliche to say this but it is my opinion that students are starting to feel more and more entitled to certain things... like passing.. academically and their grades suffer for it. ...and that is why I feel it's neither really public or private or home schooling that really makes a difference. It's more so the mindset of the student.

caiteyd13
caiteyd13
40 posts
Nomad

I actually have friends who are home schooled and they are all so much smarter than any publicly schooled person I know. All public schools do each year is prepare you for state tests that you have to pass in order to graduate high school. In my opinion most of the things public schools teach we don't even need to know. As far as I'm concerned the only required subjects should be English and Math you should be able to choose other courses such as Science and History if you are interested in them. To me home schooled kids focus more on English and Math which I think should be the main subjects.

KnightDeclan
KnightDeclan
478 posts
Nomad

I must be honest, I'm a bit surprised with you, Declan. A bit of a liberal route you are taking here, eh?

How so? I think people should be in charge of their own children, in stead of sending them into the state's hands.

Not gonna watch the video because I'm a rebel. Seriously, though, providing a single video for something as broad as this seems a little thin. I'd rather not constrain myself to the content shown, whatever it may be.

XD so freakin typical

What dangers? Like I said, I'm not going to watch the video, so I want you to explain to me in your own words how public and private schools could be considered dangerous.

Lol, you can watch the video. I picked it because it's exactly how i feel.

Clown statement bro. I had a lot of buddies in the public school system, and people smearing excrements on the wall seems like less of a hassle than having a Jewish teacher. I went to high school in dixie, so catholics were actually a minority at my catholic school, but that doesn't change the message of the administration. A baptist guy teaching me trigonometry isn't going to impact my beliefs.

I'm sorry, I wasn't clear AT ALL with the whole jewish thing. He's teaching my religion class....

Home schooling can offer a better education, but it can also result in a far worse education as well. It all depends on what the parents do. A kid who is receiving a well rounded education with parents or a tutor providing them with all the necessary material will likely do better than what you get from public schools. A kid being kept out of a public school because the parents don't want their kid learning certain things and wish to teach their own dogma will likely do worse overall.

I agree, some parents are total braindeads and couldn't teach a dog to roll over, but they shouldn't put the responsibility in the states hands. If they don't care about their kids, then they shouldn't have kids. If they care about their kids, they'll make sure they're giving the best education. Some kids would do better homeschooled, some would do better public schooled, but the real problem is, the public schools aren't giving the kids the full experience they require to be individuals, and add something great to this world.

I actually have friends who are home schooled and they are all so much smarter than any publicly schooled person I know. All public schools do each year is prepare you for state tests that you have to pass in order to graduate high school. In my opinion most of the things public schools teach we don't even need to know. As far as I'm concerned the only required subjects should be English and Math you should be able to choose other courses such as Science and History if you are interested in them. To me home schooled kids focus more on English and Math which I think should be the main subjects.

You make a perfectly good point. Why teach a child what the chemical makeup of salt is, when they wanna go into the army, or do absolutely anything aside from science?

I dunno which is theoretically more beneficial... Homeschool allows for personalized tutoring catered to the student's every need, but public school with really great teachers allows for the student to have more than one mental whet stone by which to sharpen their mind.... it also allows for a greater number and range of social opportunities.

Social opportunities? you mean bullying and being yelled at by teachers? NOt all teachers are "great." A child can get socialization through sports, and other extracurricular activities.
Kasic
Kasic
5,556 posts
Jester

You make a perfectly good point. Why teach a child what the chemical makeup of salt is, when they wanna go into the army, or do absolutely anything aside from science?

Because it's important to understand how the world works. Physics especially is applicable in everyday life. Everyone should have a basic understand at the very least on the fundamentals, including the process by which we learn and prove our ideas.

The problem with public school is largely as mentioned. It's not focused on teaching students the material, but on getting them to remember it long enough to pass their tests and imparting test taking strategies. So many people forget the information after they finish the class because they never actually learned it/understood what was happening, they just memorized parts for a few days. What was the point?
hezdog
hezdog
151 posts
Peasant

Once I'm on a computer I'll write more.

I live in New York(state not city). New York has the strictest education standards in the USA.

I think public school can be a very effective education when it is funded well enough. This funding does come out of tax payer pockets, but extreamly high quality public schools make only the richest people have the want for private school. Greater funding for the schools will make society a more equal place, the poor who might not be able to afford a good education can get that chance through good public school. The poor would be getting the same education as wealthier people and would have the same chances in life. When public schools are under funded poor people stay poor more often because of this.

Nurvana
Nurvana
2,523 posts
Farmer

I'm sorry, I wasn't clear AT ALL with the whole jewish thing. He's teaching my religion class....

Well... that's a problem. Just because he's Jewish doesn't mean he doesn't have an understanding of the Catholic faith, and there may have been a hiring issue, however I'd have to imagine a Catholic school would have the ability to hire a Catholic theology teacher.
Showing 1-15 of 28