Forums

ForumsNews, Feedback and Suggestions

Is AG going downhill?

Thread Locked

Posted Oct 16, '13 at 8:01pm

pangtongshu

pangtongshu

9,688 posts

Decreased pang =/ so yes, it is going downhill.

Posted Oct 17, '13 at 4:50am

bazz1

bazz1

287 posts

I agree Reton8, it feels like these MMOs are taking too many spots, I mean, don't get rid of them completely, but please, why get rid of Random game? and put them in popular games?I think it has gone too far, I think it's really discouraging small flash game developers, when there are 50 MMOs hogging the main page.

Posted Oct 17, '13 at 6:13am

Moegreche

Moegreche

3,061 posts

I really like this thread - it's nice to see intelligent, well-argued points regarding this topic. I'd like to offer some points to consider. Not from a mod's point of view or even an AG supporter - just someone who enjoys playing flash games.

I'm just wondering how much of these sorts of changes (especially regarding ads and MMOs) are features of an economic market that's still trying to find it's footing. A few years ago I could watch internet TV without even having to think about ads. Now it's impossible to avoid them. But I'm okay with that - I'm not paying for these things, and I assume that ad revenue is the most consistent sort of revenue at this point.

So, yeah, things are changing on AG. But it seems like things are changing across the internet. People want (and need) to make money and so are trying to find ways of doing that. Some things - like many of the MMOs out there - are clearly just trying to exploit the gaming community. I would expect these sorts of things to fall by the wayside. Part of this will be the fact that 'good' MMOs (broadly construed) will pick up most of the market, leaving the 'bad' ones to flounder. I would also expect the way things are advertised to change as these companies realise that people don't just click on any flashing image they see.

Think back to when advertisers started using pop ups. Without the correct software, these things were unavoidable. Their ineffectiveness has left them (and the companies that use them) behind, for the most part. Now that ad-blocking software is gaining some prevalence, maybe we can expect the same sort of thing. Perhaps this will lead to more effective, highly-targeted ads that generate far more revenue for sites like AG.

In the meantime, I'd suggest we not draw too many broad conclusions based on some contingent features of AG (and the internet as a whole). Just looking at the rapid progress the internet community has made since I was playing on some random BBS or another back in the 90's I'd say that this too will change for the better.

Posted Oct 17, '13 at 6:51am

Reton8

Reton8

2,802 posts

Regardless of how many ads there are, it is nice to see that Armor Games has just updated the site. So the money they are making is going to a decent use and bringing helpful updates to the users.

I'm just wondering how much of these sorts of changes (especially regarding ads and MMOs) are features of an economic market that's still trying to find it's footing. A few years ago I could watch internet TV without even having to think about ads. Now it's impossible to avoid them. But I'm okay with that - I'm not paying for these things, and I assume that ad revenue is the most consistent sort of revenue at this point.

I would think that this is kind of related to how the flash market has changed, and the new avenues for independent developers. I mention it in my other post before this one.

So, yeah, things are changing on AG. But it seems like things are changing across the internet.

I have noticed the change in advertising across many websites as well. So I don't find it a shock for AG to have more ads, which I am fine with.

How about add a skip button?

I just played a few games today with video ads and no skip button. This worries me and I stand corrected about not seeing ever seeing an add without the skip button.

http://imageshack.us/a/img690/7590/6vo7.png

I have highlighted the areas of the homepage dedicated to MMOs. I find it overwhelming. I'm fine with pushing MMOs, but the secretive way in which these MMOs are pushed seems dishonest to me (example: "new" games that aren't new but instead MMOs that are old and just being put back on the front page for exposure and MMO games in the popular section that don't meet the popular criteria that other non-MMO flashes games have to meet, in order to be put in that section.) At least let us know they are ads.

Posted Oct 17, '13 at 10:26am

pangtongshu

pangtongshu

9,688 posts

I really like this thread - it's nice to see intelligent, well-argued points regarding this topic..

Thank you

Posted Oct 18, '13 at 10:16am

anlknts1

anlknts1

1 post

According to alexa, yes.

Posted Oct 18, '13 at 9:44pm

sparetk1

sparetk1

4 posts

A little update from OP. The website seem to be reconstructed a little, now the skip button does appear for me on multiplayer games. For games that do not have log-in feature, the skip button does not appear. I sincerely hope that this is a bug, not AG being evil. I have been a fan of AG for almost exactly 5 years, knowing it for almost 7 years, I guess I will try to look at the bright side for now.

Posted Oct 18, '13 at 9:47pm

sparetk1

sparetk1

4 posts

In the meantime, I'd suggest we not draw too many broad conclusions based on some contingent features of AG (and the internet as a whole). Just looking at the rapid progress the internet community has made since I was playing on some random BBS or another back in the 90's I'd say that this too will change for the better.

I agree. Lets just hope this is a transition point for AG before being even better.

Posted Oct 19, '13 at 1:24am

Ernie15

Ernie15

13,302 posts

Knight

2011: "AG sucks now. Last year it was so much better."
2012: "AG isn't half as good as it was last year."
2013: "AG was so much better in previous years."

What else is new?

Posted Oct 19, '13 at 1:57am

OperationNilo

OperationNilo