ForumsPopular MediaThree Kingdoms.

27 16909
SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

Many years ago, there was a strategy game called Romance of the Three Kingdoms on the NES (Nintendo Entertainment System).
As soon as I discovered it I haven't stopped playing it.
Then came 2,3,4,5,... and so on.
I was so interested in the story that I ended up buying the novel.
Since I'm not Asian, I got the unabridged translation by Moss Robert in 4 volumes.
There are so many characters I like such as Guan Yu, Liu Bei, Zhao Yun, Zhuge Liang, just to name a few.

Anyway I was aware that a TV series was made about it but I never imagined it'll be available to watch on YouTube!

Three Kingdoms part 1

The series is very well made and the characters are realistic.
The battles, duels, plots and schemes made by the advisers and their masters are incredible! I'm now on episode 73.
As anyone seen it?

I'd like to discuss about it if some people are interested.

My first point would be that Guan Yu, used to be my favorite but when he got older he became arrogant and careless so my admiration for him went downhill. Even though the series is great, I noticed a difference. Wasn't Guan Yu killed by Cao Cao in the novel? If so then why does he get trapped by Lu Meng (Sun Quan's general) in the series?
I read the book a long time ago so I could be wrong.

• 27 Replies
SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

... is this series closely based on the novel?

Yeah it's pretty close. If you look carefully, there's a version with English subtitles for those who don't understand Chinese.

It's a long series but it is worth your time, believe me.

daydreamer01
daydreamer01
440 posts
Peasant

has anybody played kessen 2

the other kessen games 1 and 3 are based on the history
of japan's warring states period all of the games were released
for the playstation 2

SPOILER'S
but number 2 almost rewrite's the entire three
kingdoms story Liu Bei is in love with Diao Chan
and if i remember right Liu Bei and Cao Cao are brothers

SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

Liu Bei is in love with Diao Chan

In Three Kingdoms it's LuBu who's in love with her and Liu Bei is related to Liu Biao and Liu Jian.

I re-read The entire novel and now I'm at the part where Zhuge Liang trapped Sima Yi but rain spoil the plan and Zhuge Liang dies soon after.

From then on, I lose interest in the story because all the characters I like are dead.
For me the important characters of Three Kingdoms are Cao Cao, Liu Bei, Guan Yu, Zhang Fei, Lu Bu, Zhao Yun, Ma Chao, Zhuge Liang, Zhou Yu and Sun Quan. The rest are just part of the story.

Check here for some of Kongming's inventions. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zhuge_Liang#Inventions

daydreamer01
daydreamer01
440 posts
Peasant

wait you do know that i said it rewrite's the story right?

i know that in history Lu Bu was the one in love with Diao Chan

and he killed many just because she told him to

SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

wait you do know that i said it rewrite's the story right?

Yes and I don't like the idea. Three Kingdoms is a masterpiece so whoever mess with it should die in a duel with ME!!!
daydreamer01
daydreamer01
440 posts
Peasant

oh ok just making sure
i have a lot of anxiety about people misunderstanding me

but yeah it just kinda took a bunch of plot lines
and mixed them all up

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

The red cliff film was good, but it mixes the actual story with the book, which makes it very iffy. They add in Zhuge Liang using boats for arrows, which never actually happened but did in the book, but left oUT MY.BOY PANG TONG.

Also Diao Chan was Lu Bu's second wife, and was used as a ploy to tear Lu Bu and Dong Zhou apart (her father offering her to both on separate occasions). She did not order him to kill others, however. His rampaging lifestyle was a result of him being far too confident in his own abilit, as well as ignoring Chen Gong.

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

Red Cliff is mainly about 1 battle.. i forgot the battle name but it's about the 1 where wei's naval was burned down by wu and shu.

It's the Battle of Chibi

Also I'm in my third re-read of Romance of the Three Kingdoms x.x

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

(Lol triple post whoops @.@)

Wu's attack on Guan Yu was a response to him not returning Jing province as Shu had promised

SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

Also I'm in my third re-read of Romance of the Three Kingdoms x.x

Oh yeah?! I plan on reading it 4 times!

On top of that I'm playing a game of Romance of The Three Kingdoms 4: Wall of Fire on my SNES emulator!

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

I recently bought Dynasty Warriors 8 and just got passed my boy dying ;-; then the brothers getting betrayed and Lui Bei going on a rampage.
Not a fan of them making it so...anime. All the new characters have really odd weapons beside Han Deng, and anyone added in within last 3 games or so are just so outlandish in some.way. it's kind of awkward having the old characters so tough and stern looking, very herioic, and the new characters very sleek and childish.

I mean, the.most "manly" character from the last couple batches is Ding Feng, but they took the liberty to make him a lover of poetry, as if to undermine his bruteness.

macker33
macker33
1 posts
Shepherd

Awesome series if its the one i,m thinking of, i marathoned it a while back.
Theres also a show called the great revival thats very good, its semi historical and is set about 500/400BC just before china became china.

Showing 16-27 of 27