ForumsNews and Feedback[Official] Want to Tag a Game?

98 90211
Ferret
Ferret
9,324 posts
Bard

If you'd like a certain game to have a certain tag, suggest it below! Example:

[Game Name] - [Tag, Tag, Tag]

Example:
Kingdom Rush - Tower Defense, Fantasy, Funny

• 98 Replies
Reton8
Reton8
3,173 posts
King

Hedgehog Launch - Distance

Hedgehog Launch 2 - Distance

Learn to Fly - Distance

Learn to Fly 2 - Distance

Earn to Die - Distance

Earn to Die 2012 - Distance

Into Space! - Distance

Into Space 2 - Distance

Luis LAUNCH - Distance

Toss the Turtle - Distance

Knightmare Tower - Distance

Battalion Commander - Distance

Catapult Madness - Distance

Pirate Launch - Distance

Kid Launcher - Distance

Canoniac Launcher - Distance

Burrito Bison - Distance

Burrito Bison Revenge - Distance

Chuck the Sheep - Distance

Flight - Distance

Distance games, I feel they need a tag. Some of these could also be tagged as launch or launcher gamers, along with the distance tag. I might have missed a few, not certain. But I think distance is the tag and name that most people refer to these games as.

Yognautik
Yognautik
12 posts
Blacksmith

HACKED AG STATUS ACCESS - Prank

vinicius254
vinicius254
88 posts
Templar

Escape from 26 - Escape
40x Escape - Escape
Don't Escape - Escape
Escape the Shack - Escape
Icescape - Escape
Killer Escape (I and II) - Escape
The Great Attic/Bathroom/Bedroom/House/Kitchen/ Living Room Escape - Escape
Escape Artist - Escape

Yes, I like escape the room games!!
Ghostscape I and II - Escape

vinicius254
vinicius254
88 posts
Templar

Also, what about a tag for games with online saving feature ?

Ferret
Ferret
9,324 posts
Bard

@Reton8 What is the difference between distance games and launch games?

@Yognautik That's not a prank, how did you find that page?

@Vinicius254 Tagged! We had all those except Icescape, good addition.

vinicius254
vinicius254
88 posts
Templar

Bit Battles - Pixelated
Corporate Climber - Pixelated
Eastward Quest - Pixelated
P.U.N.K. - Pixelated
Dyna Boy - Pixelated
One Way Dungeon - Pixelated
400 Years - Pixelated
Dr. Vile in The Greater Good - Pixelated
Uirdz - Pixelated
Samsara Room - Escape
BNKR - Escape
Urbex - Escape
The Last Door - Escape
A small talk at the back of beyond - Escape

Ferret
Ferret
9,324 posts
Bard

@Vinicius254 A few more good ones there, thanks!

Reton8
Reton8
3,173 posts
King

@Reton8 What is the difference between distance games and launch games?

Well, I guess it's just me splitting hairs as usual, plus I'm not fully aware of the final goal of tags. some people may search for a distance game, but call it a launch game, so having both tags might catch more tag searches (or people may find the game they desire more effectively).

A launch game is a distance game in which the character is launched at the start of the level.
(The character may be launched from a cannon, catapult, etc. Most distance games would be launch games.)

A purely distance game would be a game where the character just starts at zero speed or regular speed, or more precisely there is no launching mechanism at the beginning of the game.

(Examples: there's no launching in Battalion Commander, Earn to Die, Rogue Soul, and The Soul Driver)

Yes, I like escape the room games!!

I was thinking about that tag too. I like escape games also! hehe

Rogue Soul - Distance

The Soul Driver - Distance

Run Right - Distance
Reton8
Reton8
3,173 posts
King

I wanted to say, I know there can be more than one tag per game. But the distance tag seemed liked the most important tag for those games and probably the first way I would search for them. I've also noticed that distance games tend to rate well and people enjoy them. So I figured it would be a worthwhile tag.

Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

A launch game is a distance game in which the character is launched at the start of the level.
(The character may be launched from a cannon, catapult, etc. Most distance games would be launch games.)

A purely distance game would be a game where the character just starts at zero speed or regular speed, or more precisely there is no launching mechanism at the beginning of the game.

(Examples: there's no launching in Battalion Commander, Earn to Die, Rogue Soul, and The Soul Driver)

Couldn't Earn to Die be considered either? There is no launching mechanism, but you can only get so far. In essence, you have a subtle launching mechanism. The distance you can travel varies with the quality of your vehicle. On the other hand, there are games where the player gets as far as the player can possibly get (notably the app Jetpack Joyride) as there are no upgrades that can help them. I would personally classify launch games as games where the player has no control over their character after launching, where as distance games would allow the player to control their character.

But then that spouts quite the conundrum for Hedgehog Launch...
UnleashedUponMankind
UnleashedUponMankind
7,043 posts
Grand Duke

Creeper World User Space - Tower Defense
Incursion - Tower Defense
Incursion 2 The Artifact - Tower Defense
Keeper of the Grove - Tower Defense
Monsters TD - Tower Defense
Monsters TD2 - Tower Defense
Protector IV - Tower Defense
Protector IV.V - Tower Defense
Steampunk Tower - Tower Dense

UnleashedUponMankind
UnleashedUponMankind
7,043 posts
Grand Duke

Erm...

Tower Dense
--> Tower Defense
newuser1234
newuser1234
23 posts
Constable

there should be a tag for games with online save feature..

Reton8
Reton8
3,173 posts
King

Couldn't Earn to Die be considered either?

Crud, I couldn't remember how Earn to Die works, it's been awhile since I have had a chance to play it.

Okay, so

Earn to Die, Earn to Die 2012, and Run Right, might not completely fit the distance category. Run Right keeps track of distance, so it still has a more distance game feel. Earn to Die I don't remember if it keeps track of your distance, but it has many common elements of a distance game. You can only travel so far without upgrading your vehicle and traveling distance indirectly completes a stage.

So a distance game should typically fit these criteria:

1.) Keep track of the distance you go or have a distance counter somewhere within the game.

2.) Traveling, typically in one direction, is the main element, criterion for progress, and goal of the game.
2 Subsection: Goal of the Game:
2 (Subsection 1)A set specific distance to travel is the ultimate goal of the game.
Or
2 (Subsection 2) The player can travel an unlimited distance, but a gaining a high distance score is, in essence, the highest achievement of the game.
Or
2 (subsection 3) A game with goals containing both 2 (Subsection 1) and 2 (Subsection 2)

3.) Have a way of upgrading your vehicle/character for reaching further distances in subsequent turns.

4a.) Be only one level.
Or
4b.) Be more than one level, but distance is the main element, criterion for progress, and goal for each level and the game as a whole.

5.) A distance game may or may not include a mechanism that launches the vehicle/character at the start of the stage. Games that include a launching mechanism may be considered as distance and launch games.

Technical, okay, unnecessary, sure, but it was the best I could do at classifying a distance game. You can also see the difference from a distance and 2D racing game or Monster Truck game as the goals in those games are to either beat a time or reach the right or left end of the screen, yet distance is an indirect consequence, time is usually a factor, and usually nothing limits your travel unless you wreck your vehicle (unlike Earn to Die where fuel is a factor). I guess those Monster Truck games are kind of a grey area.
UnleashedUponMankind
UnleashedUponMankind
7,043 posts
Grand Duke

Ghost Hacker 2 - Tower Defense

Showing 1-15 of 98