ForumsGamesAm I the only one who prefers Oblivion to Skyrim? (Rant)

9 6389
bazz1
bazz1
285 posts
Peasant

*Before going any further, this will have spoilers from both games*

Anyway, lets get straight to it, I think, that Oblivion had better quests, starting with guild ones, they were so much more fleshed out, and IMO better jobs, like the thieves guild, on Oblivion, it involves stealing lots of things (Duh), and you got some pretty epic missions, like stealing an Elder scroll, on Skyrim, it has become the nightingale questline, nothing to do with stealing, just hack and slash dungeon crawling, now the fighters guild on Oblivion to most, was just a dungeon crawler boring group, but I found their quests interesting, there was a good plot twist near the end, and the whole feud with the other mercenary group was quite good. But the Companions... god I don't like these guys, lets see, you get attacked by this werewolf hunter group called the 'Silver Hand', and then you go hunting them down murdering them like crazy, and we don't even know anything about them! They are just "The bad guys". Also, the storyline cannot focus on one thing, it is constantly jumping from fighting Silver Hand, to curing Lycanthropy, what happened to the silver hand? Are they still there? What are their motives? The mages guild on Oblivion was pretty straightforward, not much to say about that, the College of Winterhold had a few things I didn't like, such as wasting such a good character, the High Elf bad guy (Forgot his name) was kind of wasted IMO, it would have been a nice touch if the arch mage was actually the bad guy, and then you have to work with the guy. And you see at the end of the questline, ,the monks come in and take the Eye of Magnus away, just like that, well, why didn't they do that earlier? Why go through all the trouble? The Dark brotherhood I preferred on Oblivion, but it was okay on Skyrim. The Bards College was a HUGE disappointment, they could have done so much with it, like somebody mentioned, it could have actually been a spying group, it would have been a group focused around dialogue, and convincing other people to do stuff, sadly, it was a handful of meh quests.

COMBAT
Now, the thing is, on Skyrim, combat feels a bit, dumbed down, it's like you sit there and shield bash a guy then whack whack whack, shield bash, if playing on a harder difficulty, you have to use the stun moves loads, otherwise you get murdered. The combat is also very clunky, lots of the time Shouts don't shout when their suppose to, lots of recharge problems. I do like the implementation of duel wielding though, good idea, pretty well done. Then there is destruction magic, which is very weak on Skyrim, the problem is, most of the big damaging spells, take loads of magic, and do, say 70 damage, and the thing is, whacking somebody with a sword does 60 damage, yet has no limit! and is also faster, and most of the time, the melee weapons out damage magic. This is why hitting took Fatigue on Oblivion, so that you couldn't just keep whacking for ever and doing tons of damage. also, the magic on Oblivion took a whole lot of magicka, yet it packed a punch, if you were playing on a higher difficulty, you needed to make yourself a powerful spell to get through some places. (Spell creation taken out of Skyrim is a bit annoying too.) And then, on Oblivion, there was Athletics and Acrobatics, Athletics really helped in Combat on Oblivion, instead of standing still whacking each other shield bashing, most of the time you would be dodging, it would be very hectic, and a lot more fun.

MAIN STORYLINE
Now, Skyrim's main story, IMO was a bit lacking, the thing is, Alduin has no plan, sure he wants to take over, he sends out Dragons, hooray! But for what? What is he trying to do? What is his grand plan? Nothing. there was nothing obligating you to kill Alduin fast, like, do this or Alduin will destroy the world, he just sat around summoning Dragons.On Oblivion, Mehrunes Dagon was making more and more Oblivion Gates, getting him closer and closer to Tamriel, letting him invade full force onto the land, this was actually a problem, Alduin did nothing. And then, there is how dragons are displayed, they are supposed to be Powerful, yet they cannot even use their own shouts! The shouts you gain are more suited for humans than dragons. Then, there is the whole two Dragonborns business (I really liked the Dragonborn DLC main story) which just makes them look weaker, Mirak has killed many many Dragons, and can summon them to do his bidding, as if they are his slaves, Dragons were not portrayed too strong there.

World
I felt Skyrim was kind of the same thing, there was tundra, and snow, that's it, nothing different, but Oblivion, had so many different things, there was the gold Coast, The whole snowy area near Bruma, Swampy arena near Leyawiin.

/End Rant.

Thank you for reading, I am open to discuss any of my points. (I will not discuss graphics here, they make up a very small part in my opinion.)

• 9 Replies
Gamer_Cale
Gamer_Cale
1,372 posts
Nomad

what happened to the silver hand? Are they still there? What are their motives?

I thought that you wipe them out and it says something about they might be a few lingering around but they wont be a problem or something along those lines but I really wanted there to be a silver hand questline though I think hunting werewolves and other evil stuff would make for an awesome quest line.

most of the big damaging spells, take loads of magic, and do, say 70 damage, and the thing is, whacking somebody with a sword does 60 damage, yet has no limit! and is also faster, and most of the time, the melee weapons out damage magic. This is why hitting took Fatigue on Oblivion, so that you couldn't just keep whacking for ever and doing tons of damage.

Magic can be used at range and does splash damage and requires no ammo just mana so I don't think it is underpowered and melee weapons use stamina if you do power attacks and if you don't use power attacks your attacks get blocked a lot of the time so you don't end up doing that much damage I think all the combat styles are pretty well balanced.

on Oblivion, there was Athletics and Acrobatics, Athletics really helped in Combat on Oblivion, instead of standing still whacking each other shield bashing, most of the time you would be dodging, it would be very hectic, and a lot more fun.

Aren't they the skill were you literally just ran and jumped to level it up that did nothing for me and I have played skyrim for 121 hours and I don't think I have ever used shield bash even when I use a shield I just dodge their attacks and only block when I can't dodge them.

As for the main quest and map I kind of agree but I don't think anyone really goes through the main quests everyone tends to stick to side quests and guilds I don't think anyone I know actually completed oblivions main quest line yet most people I know have got skills maxed out and put hours into the game I find elder scrolls is more about exploring and levelling then learning about the main quest line. With the map I understand what you mean but skyrim is in a tundra biome it wouldn't be right if their was a tropical area randomly in the middle.
wflag10
wflag10
1,269 posts
Nomad

I thought that you wipe them out and it says something about they might be a few lingering around but they wont be a problem or something along those lines but I really wanted there to be a silver hand questline though I think hunting werewolves and other evil stuff would make for an awesome quest line.

Nope, the wiki says nothing about the Silver Hand being destroyed.

Magic can be used at range and does splash damage and requires no ammo just mana so I don't think it is underpowered and melee weapons use stamina if you do power attacks and if you don't use power attacks your attacks get blocked a lot of the time so you don't end up doing that much damage I think all the combat styles are pretty well balanced.

I have a level 100 destruction mage in one Skyrim account, and I have several things including the Dragon Priests mask that gives me more mana and mana regeneration. I still run out of mana pretty fast, so I rely mostly on burst damage. I also have a heavy armor account, and no you do not need power attacks, it's actually really easy to win a fight without them.

Aren't they the skill were you literally just ran and jumped to level it up that did nothing for me and I have played skyrim for 121 hours and I don't think I have ever used shield bash even when I use a shield I just dodge their attacks and only block when I can't dodge them.

Yes those were the skills.I would have loved to see them in Skyrim, and I remember someone from Bethesda said they would be, but nope guess they got cut. Anyways using those skills effectively really depends on the character you are building, if you build Heavy Armor they will be kind of useless, where if you are building Thief or Archer or something among those lines they would be great. What build did you play in Oblivion Gamer? Because if you just play a Thief with one little knife you want to try to dodge all confrontation.

As for the main quest and map I kind of agree but I don't think anyone really goes through the main quests everyone tends to stick to side quests and guilds

Don't generalize, you can't speak for the millions who have played these games. Anyways, this is actually something I do, I've only completed the main quest twice (seen no reason to do so again) and have always just stuck to the side missions and the guilds.

I find elder scrolls is more about exploring and levelling then learning about the main quest line.

Actually this is true, I feel like the main quest line is just a way to way they have a plot so everyone doesn't jump on them saying "You don't have a plot, this game will suck". The only real reason they have it because they need a back story for the dragons to appear in Tamriel.

With the map I understand what you mean but skyrim is in a tundra biome it wouldn't be right if their was a tropical area randomly in the middle.

I understand what OP means, I found Oblivion more exciting in the map aspect. But unfortunately Bethesda has to stick to lore, and lore says that Skyrim is a frozen waste land basically. So you are right =)
bazz1
bazz1
285 posts
Peasant

Also, I just wanted to say, Skyrim isn't a bad game, it is a good one anyway, and I recommend getting it, this thread is just kind of me comparing them.
Also, Oblivion had pretty bad Forts and things like that, most of them were exactly the same, only a few had stories of their own. Skyrim fixed that.

Thank you wFlag for proving some good points.

I suppose Skyrim has to be kind of bland like that, I just would have liked a more varied map, this isn't really my biggest issue though.
I think that the main story has to be there, to actually make the setting make sense, there would be no point in even playing a game about somewhere without any MAIN problem.

Gamer_Cale
Gamer_Cale
1,372 posts
Nomad

Dragonborn can choose to end the war by wiping out most of the grouped members of the Silver Hand, leaving only small scattered groups.

Pretty much what I said I never said they were completely wiped out just a few lingering around I think they left it like this as kind of a cliffhanger maybe for dlc or the next game.
bazz1
bazz1
285 posts
Peasant

Pretty much what I said I never said they were completely wiped out just a few lingering around I think they left it like this as kind of a cliffhanger maybe for dlc or the next game.

Still, I want to know more about them, they attack you even if you aren't a werewolf, they are just like common bandits, It would have been nice if they were part of the companions then left because they did mot approve of the whole lycanthropy and thought it was evil, and attacked the companions, that would have been nice.
wflag10
wflag10
1,269 posts
Nomad

Still, I want to know more about them, they attack you even if you aren't a werewolf, they are just like common bandits, It would have been nice if they were part of the companions then left because they did mot approve of the whole lycanthropy and thought it was evil, and attacked the companions, that would have been nice.

I agree, they could have added a whole lot more back story to them. Maybe their own quest line.
iWazBord
iWazBord
1,912 posts
Nomad

You know, I never really put much thought into comparing the two cause I was drinking too much of the Skyrim kool-aid... I would have to agree with you, OP, about the guild quests being more fleshed out. The only guild that didn't left me feeling empty was the Dark Brotherhood quest line in Skyrim, the rest of them were like "okay, now what?" for me. I didn't even know that the Bard's College was really a "guild" until I read what you said. Didn't feel like it was anything, but a filler quest-line for me.

bazz1
bazz1
285 posts
Peasant

Heh, I was sooooo disappointed with the Bards College, I thought, hey, a guild about Bards? COOL! I thought it would be all about talking, things like making up lots of songs, but what do we get? A meh dungeon and a few fetch quests
, I really wished that the Bards college was a guild.

Also, am I the only one who doesn't like the whole 'Chosen one' everywhere? The Thieves guild guy Chooses you, to help him, the Companions boss dreams of you, you are the Dragonborn, mr.Mega chosen.
I liked on Oblivion, how you were not the main hero, Martin was, you were that warrior that got him through! And with the Thieves guild you had to find them and apply for being a member,same with fighters guild, you just get a bit of a chosen feeling when you were in Uriel Septims dreams.

coppersmoke
coppersmoke
28 posts
Farmer

I will always like Skyrim more and you can't change that but my reason is because I only spent like 100-200 hours on Oblivion and almost 650-700 on Skyrim so i just know more about Skyrim than Oblivion and find Skyrim more enjoyable.

Showing 1-9 of 9