ForumsThe TavernDisappointed with Myself

11 4323
Reton8
Reton8
3,173 posts
King

I noticed that my posts always go on and on and that I nit pick about things. Sometimes I post something that I can see coming across as arrogant or know-it-all like, but since you can't hear me say what I'm posting, you can get no idea of how serious or not serious I'm being. I try not to be a jerk, but almost always feel like what I'm saying is jerk like.

Also, if I were to ever join bodybuilding.com or some other forum, I feel like I would easily be made fun off into hiding. I feel like if you met me in real life you wouldn't draw the connection between me online. I'm typically not as "windbaggied" and my humour more properly comes across.

• 11 Replies
metalplastic
metalplastic
191 posts
Nomad

You can use smileys to indicate that you're not being serious or something or you can just say directly that you're just joking around.
Maybe even try using memes to better understand what and how you're saying what you're saying.
If ever it's still misunderstood that's no your fault anymore...sort of. XD

Riptizoid101
Riptizoid101
6,257 posts
Farmer

I'm also disappointed you spelled "disappointed" incorrectly.

But anyways, don't be so self conscious about it. It's hard to convey tones on text, so if there are any misunderstandings you can just clear it up, no big deal. If you feel the need to accurately express what you're saying, do what the guy above said and add emoticons or something.

If all else fails, you can always make a new account and adopt the persona you always wanted to be.

Terry_Logic
Terry_Logic
4,484 posts
Jester

If people misunderstand or misunderestimate your humor, that's entirely their problem. I'm the same way, my humor doesn't travel over text very well, so I really have to rely on the sharpness of others if I try and say something even remotely funny. In real life, the people who get my jokes find me absolutely hilarious, but over the internet, where other people may or may not even exist, the proper response (a good laugh or the shaking of one's head) is not seen, so you often have to use your imagination.

I just picture everyone on their computers laughing hysterically, and it helps build my confidence.

xeano321
xeano321
3,152 posts
Farmer

Pfff, don't even care reton. People with no knowledge of people will assume you're being a jerk if you're not.

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

You all should just be more like Patrick. His humor goes unnoticed by like -everyone- here, yet it deters him not.

Reton8
Reton8
3,173 posts
King

Well made points by all! I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who understands the difficulty of conveying a message in text (without being able to use verbal cues).

Me too. Maybe I was a snake for a second?
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

Well made points by all! I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who understands the difficulty of conveying a message in text (without being able to use verbal cues).

But then there are people like me, who do so with ease, leaving you all to gaze upon my glory in a pitiful state of beta-despair.

Dis-sapointed.

Come on now Rip, you've never been dis-sapointed before?
SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

That's easy.
I'm not happy.
I'm angry! >
I'm really angry! >:O
I'm happy.
I'm laughing.
LMAO! xD

So if I say I hate people who curse and swear!
Am I angry?
If I say I hate those !@#$%^! people who swear! xD
You know I'm not being serious but if I say
I hate those !@#$%^! people who swear! >:O
Then I'm very mad and stupid at the same time since I swear at people who swear. Got it?

stinkyjim
stinkyjim
470 posts
Shepherd

You shouldn't care what others think of you, and as other people have pointed out, you can always clarify your intentions later if they are misunderstood.

Charlie506
Charlie506
1,298 posts
Nomad

Oh my god! Here is a sword to cheer you up.

PS: Sorry for the stupidness. But seriously, have the sword.

MacII
MacII
1,315 posts
Shepherd

Hmm. I think it's the I Ching that in some modern new-age edition says something along the lines of (how's that for giving a vague source ) "If something you say makes you feel uncomfortable, stop saying it."

Then again as Nick Cave said, "Express thyself/Say something loudly/YAAAARRRGHH!!!"

Showing 1-11 of 11