ForumsThe TavernPersonality types, traits and tests

4 6067
ellock
ellock
385 posts
Blacksmith

What do you think about personality types (myers-briggs, big 5 etc.); traits (extroverted or introverted) and tests? Do you think they are stupid and inaccurate or do you think that they are accurate and help you understand yourself more? Do you think people should be more aware? Basically, personality conversations.

I personally think specific tests are fairly accurate; but not a deciding factor in WHO you are. More of understanding who you are and why you like certian things. I have taken multiple tests to see if they all agree (they don't) so I started to dig deeper and wanted to find out what other people thought about this. I scored different ways on the myers briggs test (INTJ or ISTJ depending on the test). So that made me second guess that a lot more. I like the big 5 test more as it has a % marker so you know that it is less "defining yourself" type of test; which gets on my nerves.
here are some tests if you want to learn more or want to disprove them here are the links to the ones I found most accurate.
Big 5 test
Myers Briggs

I am a huge believer in introversion or extroversion, but some of the other parts of the test makes me second guess the other parts (myers briggs mainly).

Anyway, I am interested to hear other peoples thoughts, input and opinion about the test(s). And most of my friends are not interested in personalities and social sciences (which these tests are not)... so none of them have anything valid to say about it. Thus, I turn to you armor games!

• 4 Replies
MacII
MacII
1,315 posts
Shepherd

Hm. That second one has me down as ENFJ. I guess that fits, but then one has to wonder how many of those types would.

Me, I guess I mostly consider myself a Mac type of guy These tests were fun in your teenie magazines, btw, weren't they. I guess sometimes still a guilty pleasure.

ellock
ellock
385 posts
Blacksmith

So, I am still confused to whether or not you consider the a valid type of test? Are the total crap or do you think they are good enough. I am not a big fan of the second one simply because it can't decide where to put me. I get 2 different results each time I take it. Whereas the first one (the big 5) is super accurate to my personality. It nails me to tee. It also got my whole family; yes, I got excited and forced my whole family to take a test.
I don't know what a teenie magazine, but based on the context and the sound I assume it is one of those 1D SCANDAL!!!!!! COME LOOK AT THE BEIBER!!!!! type of magazines. To which I would say: I actually had to take the second test for school, we had to take it and report our typing that we got (something about learning style and changing the curriculum to fit our personality)... yeah, took it 2 times and got 2 different results and when I told my teachers it just confused them and they did not no exactly where to put me.

dindar
dindar
3 posts
Nomad

Ellock as i am also confused with results. After taking big 5 test, i took same psychopath test from the same site. Big five personality test showed my unique traits but another test showed i am psychopath.
For double sure i took another test from another site for psychopath test here and found it difficult to compare the results with big five test.

StormWalker
StormWalker
8,232 posts
Jester

I have a feeling I've done this before on this site...

I might as well list the stats. For the first one, it has extroverted as almost nothing, which is close enough when we're talking about the real, physical me sitting at my computer. The one for order is almost the same, which is pretty accurate as well. Neuroticism is higher than I thought it'd be. Agreeableness is also pretty accurate, as I like to make others happy. Last but not least, openness is at a somewhat high level. To sum it all up, it's grasps my character pretty well.

The second one gives me ISTP, which seems close-ish, though a lot of times the results are different.

Showing 1-4 of 4