37 39224
Drink
Drink
1,622 posts
Blacksmith

i know horror isnt the most popular genre in gaming but its one of my favorites

list some of your favorite scary games

for me i was only scared by silent hill on ps1 and outlast

but i did get chills during silent shattered memories on wii during the chase scenes with the monsters

• 37 Replies
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

Dead Space 1 and 2 really really got me. I try to play shooters if the game is steeped in the horror genre, the explosions and bullets tend to help me focus away from the details!

Somewhat49
Somewhat49
1,607 posts
Nomad

Also, I wanna talk a bit about dead space... The first one was the most scary but after EA decided to milk the **** out of it, it had lost its scariness...

I really felt like Dead Space 2 improved on the horror aspect so much compared to DS1.
In DS1 I could always predict when a jump scare was going to happen and I didn't really get scared by the atmosphere, DS2 was completly different for me.

There was the introduction of new enemies every now and then that kept the horror fresh, each with a slightly twisted characteristic, then there also was more of a psychological horror than the first one with the dead wife, and I liked how the horror was no longer in a distant ship but now in your home area.

Forbidden Siren

I haven't played it personally but the one of the developers also worked on SIlent Hill and the gameplay I saw of it looked great. It had those good morbid monsters you look for in horror games.

I would say my favorite horror game is Bioshock, although I haven't played many other horror games and mostly read things about them or watched videos for lack of money/console.
I would say it's my favorite horror game because it has the world made in a way where at first appearance everyone looks insane, until you realize the reason for their lifestyle, except for the main bosses, which through their audio logs, sound pretty much just insane.
But then the little audio clips from the bosses make the game even more interesting because it adds to the atmosphere even though their work is mostly contained into one area.

I have heard Condemned: Criminal Origins is a good game, and bought it, but haven't played it yet.

F.E.A.R. I have played and liked but I feel like it is too action based to really be terrifying, like I'm mostly doing cool kill shots and ignoring the little things that are supposed to make you uneasy.

Amnesia I found to have way too easy of AI to really make formidable opponents and make the environment scary. The atmosphere was pretty good otherwise, but the AI is just so bad that it made it funny.

Right now I'm looking foward to trying Condemned and The Evil Within.
R2D21999
R2D21999
18,319 posts
Treasurer

I've never really played a horror game, but there are some horror games I want to play. Like, Slender, Slender the Arrival, and Outlast.

i also had scary moments with that game you turned on generators and had some ghost girl chasing you

Sounds like the second chapter of Slender the Arrival.
metalplastic
metalplastic
191 posts
Nomad

I read some stuff about Dying Light...looks interesting.
Though I'm curious about Dread Out, I actually didn't look for any news about it. My bad... XD

HerpDerpWalrus
HerpDerpWalrus
1 posts
Nomad

I'm not really a fan of horror games in general but I really enjoyed the first Dead Space and the first two Resident Evil games.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

I really felt like Dead Space 2 improved on the horror aspect so much compared to DS1.
In DS1 I could always predict when a jump scare was going to happen and I didn't really get scared by the atmosphere, DS2 was completly different for me.

There was the introduction of new enemies every now and then that kept the horror fresh, each with a slightly twisted characteristic, then there also was more of a psychological horror than the first one with the dead wife, and I liked how the horror was no longer in a distant ship but now in your home area.

I concur. The horror came from the knowledge that the fiends were once humans; and that some retained a poor semblance of it. Spooks you. But DS3 really lost it, with many of the enemies simply being Unitologist grunts.
Charlie506
Charlie506
1,298 posts
Nomad

the last of us

Drink
Drink
1,622 posts
Blacksmith

amnesia is crap

i agree. and its boring..
Blackbeltr0
Blackbeltr0
769 posts
Jester

Sorry for probably one of the most well know, but just puting this out there.... Slender Man, Mr. Slendy, Slender what ever you want to call him hHE B SCARZY

Somewhat49
Somewhat49
1,607 posts
Nomad

Slender Man, Mr. Slendy, Slender what ever you want to call him hHE B SCARZY

When I first heard about him I was scared of him, but then I got over it in an hour and the games honestly suck.
The original pictures though were well done.
jeff2241
jeff2241
120 posts
Nomad

even though the game sucks, the slenderman game still ranks up there on the scary scale. nothing scary about him outside of the game though.

decota
decota
12 posts
Nomad

the first resident evil and silent hill, dead space, FEAR, amnesia, and just for the sake of of for once being the bad guy : manhunt, altough it was not really horror.

Drink
Drink
1,622 posts
Blacksmith

decota, the first silent hill still gives me the chills

portarto
portarto
87 posts
Herald

I haven't been into horror gaming for long so my favourite so far is original F.E.A.R for having a cool story, atmosphere and nice shooting scenes.

legolover12
legolover12
76 posts
Peasant

I dont think i've played any.....

Showing 16-30 of 37