Blacksmith

so the title says it all

what is your single most favorite scary movie or scary movie series

or you can give your top favorites

for series mine would be
1. every chucky movie
2. every nightmare on elm street
3. every friday the 13th

for the single most im going to say for me its either childs play 2 or 3, not for being scared but neither movie ever bores me

• 37 Replies
Terry_Logic
Terry_Logic
4,484 posts
Jester

I saw The Conjuring a few days ago. I didn't get much sleep that night, but I thought it was an excellent film all-around. Usually a horror movie will have campy acting or a ridiculous script or some other obvious weak point, but I actually appreciated all aspects of this film, which seldom happens when I watch horror movies.

stinkyjim
stinkyjim
470 posts
Shepherd

The Saw series will always be my favorite. The story-line may be convoluted and constantly regurgitated, but it takes an interesting take on how the human mind works and what lengths a person will take in order to survive. The brutality in some of the torture scenes is fun to watch as well. Of course, after the fourth movie, they seem to have run out of ideas and began milking the franchise before people lost interest; Nothing of real importance really happens after the fourth movie.
My favorite out of the series would be the second (or third) movie, where the main antagonist, John Kramer gets the **** beaten out of him by the cop. That cop was the only person in the entire series who I didn't want to see die, especially in a quick and meaningless way; All he wanted was to see his son again.

MacII
MacII
1,315 posts
Shepherd

Saw

The first one certainly was the last horror movie, and the first one in a very long time, that I didn't end up being disappointed with going to the cinema for & actually managed to give me the creeps.

My one gripe would be the movie really never should have left the room, but arguably it's hard to think of how they would have kept that up.

All of its follow-ups I didn't think very much of. What else is there, let's see. The Changeling certainly gave me the creeps in my young teens. Seeing it back years later I don't think it did all that much to me; atmospheric though, perhaps.

There must be so many. The Beyond, lol, similarly scared the hell out of me at around that age; an utter disaster reseeing it so many years down the line.
Bronze
Bronze
2,417 posts
Shepherd

My favorite kind of horror has Sci-fi mixed in. My favorite series is the Alien franchise. The original Alien movie is also my favorite horror movie.

The Thing (John Carpenter's) comes in at a very close second.

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

A Serbian Film is truly an awesome movie and now one of my favorites since I've seen it.

Going to watch Audition later tonight..will let y'all know how it goes. Apparently it is a really good flick.

MacII
MacII
1,315 posts
Shepherd

Possession, btw (Andrzej Å»uÅawski, 1981). Amazing movie.

From the rather more mainstream dept., Poltergeist I somehow never get tired of seeing. Funny, scary, great effects... (any of the sequels you can safely chuck out the window, of course).

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

So Audition was pretty good. Biggest "scare" comes from the fact that it could actually happen.

Moegreche
Moegreche
3,829 posts
Duke

Silence of the Lambs for me has always been a twisted, gripping, wonderfully put-together film. Anthony Hopkins' portrayal of Hannibal Lecter is one of the most sophisticated performances I've ever seen.

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

Anthony Hopkins' portrayal of Hannibal Lecter is one of the most sophisticated performances I've ever seen.

Especially given that he was only on screen for about 16 minutes.
Ferret
Ferret
9,323 posts
Bard

Cabin in the Woods is fantastic.

SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

I have quite a few but the one I have in mind now is Prince of Darkness.
There's something about this movie...
Click on the name for the trailer.

Bronze
Bronze
2,417 posts
Shepherd

Heck yes! I usually just skip straight for the elevator scene. Eveverything from that point is bloody bliss with a hint of unicom
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

Heck yes! I usually just skip straight for the elevator scene. Eveverything from that point is bloody bliss with a hint of unicom

But you're missing all the build up for the wonderful satire D=
Devoidless
Devoidless
3,678 posts
Jester

For some reason, each time I read that on this page I read it as "Crab in the Woods".

Which, really, could be a great movie.
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

each time I read that on this page I read it as "Crab in the Woods".

Would you sue me if I stole that idea?
Showing 1-15 of 37