ForumsPopular MediaRomantic Comedies

14 14015
gh0sts
gh0sts
865 posts
Shepherd

There is no man on this glorious earth who doesn't enjoy at least one romantic comedy in existence, even if they aren't willing to admit it. I personally happen to like When in Rome. What's your chick-flick weakness?

• 14 Replies
Nurvana
Nurvana
2,524 posts
Farmer

Well when I was ten I saw Aquamarine because I was too scared to watch a movie in the dollar theatre on my own. So I went and saw what my mother and sister were watching.

Oh and I hated it.

I do have a Chik-Fil-A weakness, though :-D

Terry_Logic
Terry_Logic
4,484 posts
Jester

I've seen My Big Fat Greek Wedding dozens of times and I still find it just as hilarious every time I watch it. The two main lovers aren't very interesting, but the parents and the other relatives have some great lines that I still find myself quoting to this day.

"Oh, Mrs. White, you find my mama again! You know, she come from Greece, the country I come from..."

Skeleton_Pilot
Skeleton_Pilot
1,361 posts
Blacksmith

I've seen My Big Fat Greek Wedding dozens of times and I still find it just as hilarious every time I watch it. The two main lovers aren't very interesting, but the parents and the other relatives have some great lines that I still find myself quoting to this day.

Man, if only those two main characters were just taken out entirely... that would be one hell of a movie right there! xD

Let's see... chick-flicks? Romantic comedies? Hmm... I have to think about this one. The first flick that comes to mind is Bridesmaids, but I've never met a GUY who saw it and didn't find it absolutely hilarious, so I wouldn't count it as a "chick-flick", except on the grounds that all of the lead characters are female! =P

Easy A made me laugh more than your average comedy, romantic or not, as did Knocked Up and Zack and Miri... with Seth Rogen... but it's up for debate whether any of those could be considered as romantic as they are comedy...

Adam Sandler of all people had some great romantic comedies up his sleeve back in the day, too... The Wedding Singer, Mr. Deeds, and 50 First Dates being three of my favorite of the love-centric ones. Of course, even classics like Billy Madison, Happy Gilmore, and Waterboy had their romantic moments, but none of them would be considered romantic comedies by most standards... keep in mind, it's still Adam Sandler... =P
Devoidless
Devoidless
3,678 posts
Jester

Does "Repo! The Genetic Opera" count?

Because I watched that with a girl I was with back in the day. How long ago was that? Five or six years ago maybe?

Ernie15
Ernie15
13,351 posts
Bard

I've seen My Big Fat Greek Wedding dozens of times and I still find it just as hilarious every time I watch it.

That movie is funny as hell, and it's a true romantic comedy. That's something I don't see very often anymore.

I'm not a huge fan of romantic comedies in general, but it's all left up to interpretation regarding what a "romantic comedy" actually is. Most comedies these days have some form of romance built into them, even if it's not the sole focus of the story. Even The 40-Year-Old Virgin is considered a romantic comedy, even though through most of the film, the audience isn't thinking about how romantic the story is.

I myself am not a huge fan of "true" romantic comedies, but that's because my hermitlike lifestyle has trouble relating to the romantic references, and therefore it just bogs down the film for me. But that's just me.
Night_Watchman
Night_Watchman
5 posts
Nomad

"Crazy Stupid Love" is pretty funny. For any of you who enjoy Steve Carell's awkward humor and seeing Ryan Gosling shirtless, this is the perfect movie for you.

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

Titanic is always a classic

Minotaur55
Minotaur55
1,373 posts
Blacksmith

Me, I'm a strange dude when it comes to movies. I like comedies, I don't like romantic movies, but for some reason I do like romantic comedies. Maybe it's because I'm just abnormal. I like the comedy side of romantic comedies more then anything else though. If the movie gets too "mushy" then I just get bored.

The 40-Year-Old Virgin is considered a romantic comedy, even though through most of the film, the audience isn't thinking about how romantic the story is.

I've always wanted to see The 40-Year-Old Virgin but I never got the chance. Having a hard time seeing the connection it has to "romance" though...

My Big Fat Greek Wedding

That movie is truly a romantic comedy, and it is funny every time you watch it. However, whenever I watch it I wind up craving Greek food. Strange.

Happy Gilmore

Happy Gilmore makes me happy.
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

The 40-Year-Old Virgin is considered a romantic comedy, even though through most of the film, the audience isn't thinking about how romantic the story is.

I've always wanted to see The 40-Year-Old Virgin but I never got the chance. Having a hard time seeing the connection it has to "romance" though...

The plot centers around a love story.
Skeleton_Pilot
Skeleton_Pilot
1,361 posts
Blacksmith

I like comedies, I don't like romantic movies, but for some reason I do like romantic comedies.

Ah, see, that's why a romantic comedy is always the perfect choice for a man and a woman to watch together... the men can enjoy the laughs while the woman gets sucked into the romantic aspect. It's the perfect date movie!

Not like Tokyo Drift... that was a bad call on my part! =P

For any of you who enjoy Steve Carell's awkward humor and seeing Ryan Gosling shirtless, this is the perfect movie for you.

Those are two of my favorite things ever! =O
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

Not like Tokyo Drift... that was a bad call on my part! =P

Shoulda gone with Drive
Skeleton_Pilot
Skeleton_Pilot
1,361 posts
Blacksmith

Shoulda gone with Drive

If that movie had been around when I was 19, it would have been a tough call! At that age it wouldn't have mattered much anyway... when I was that age, I just wanted to see action movies... it didn't occur to me that the girls I took out had no interest in them! =P
Nurvana
Nurvana
2,524 posts
Farmer

For any of you who enjoy Steve Carell's awkward humor and seeing Ryan Gosling shirtless, this is the perfect movie for you.

What if I enjoy Steve Carrell shirtless, and Ryan Gosling's awkward humor?
Drink
Drink
1,622 posts
Blacksmith

nope i dont enjoy ONE. i barely watch comedies alone, im more of a action and horror genre kinda guy

Showing 1-14 of 14