ForumsPopular MediaHeavy Metal - Gather'round Headbangers!

113 69796
stinkyjim
stinkyjim
470 posts
Shepherd

Hey guys, any fellow MetalHeads around? What are some good bands you guys usually listen to?

I have recently been getting into some Whitechapel and Veil of Maya. Both are Deathcore bands, and they both employ very deep riffs, as well as very deep death growls. Typically, you'll run into a lot of songs (like any other core band) that try to fuse heavy riffs with some melodic riffs in the background. These are the only Deathcore bands I listen to, since the entire core genre has too much melody for my tastes.

I'v also been getting into some Meshuggah and Vildharta. Both pioneers of the Djent genre, but only the latter is technically Djent. If you like technical song structures and low pitched riffs, these guys are the ones to listen to.

Some pretty heavy Death Metal can be heard from Abominable Putridity and Kraanium. These guys are some of the heaviest bands I have ever heard (aside from Hate Eternal). The gutturals dominate most of the vocals, with the occasional death growl now and again.

I'm always searching for new bands to listen to. Do you guys have any suggestions?

• 113 Replies
Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,508 posts
Jester

What is this Djent genre of Heavy Metal? I've never heard of it, is it a recent addition?

For anyone who likes Heavy Metal, I always recommend Sabaton. They're either listed as "Power Metal" or just "Heavy Metal". Their main drive in their songs are historical wars/battles and conflicts.

Riptizoid101
Riptizoid101
6,257 posts
Farmer

Osmium is some pretty heavy metal. I listen to it all the time. Pretty dense, is all I can say.

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

Ah a thread right up my ally! And I imagine we will be seeing some visits by Unleashed, Mino, and possibly Skele =p

As for me...I am a HUGE fan of Meshuggah..and with your definition of djent you forgot the most important aspect that people use to describe it...the open palm muting.

Some other bands..
Arch Enemy
Dir en Grey (highly recommend)
Cannibal Corpse (duh)
Gojira (Highly recommend)
Bolt Thrower (thank you to unleashed for introducing me to them)
Behold... The Arctopus
Rosetta (highly recommend; also thanks to Ray for introducing)
Gorguts
Cynic (highly recommend)
Ghost B.C. (Thank you to Mino for introducing me to them)
Mastodon (highly recommend)
Sepultura
Korpiklaani

Now I find the idea of "heavy metal" a fun one..because some people have different ideas of what constitutes "heavy". Some Groove bands can be great heavy metal bands (Gojira, for example)..while Technical Death metal may seem like it'd be nice for -heavy- yes it can swing bother ways (Gojira, again...but conversely you have Cynic, who isn't as heavy focused)

stinkyjim
stinkyjim
470 posts
Shepherd

Those are some great bands! I haven't heard of a couple of those

Animals as Leaders - On Impulse

A great band, very technical and guitar oriented. The guitar solos are awesome, too much melody for my tastes though :P

Osmium is some pretty heavy metal. I listen to it all the time. Pretty dense, is all I can say

The Wikipedia page wouldn't load correctly, but I assume you are talking about this band http://grooveshark.com/#!/profile/Osmium/22582492
It's a great band, definitely has some core elements in there, though I prefer deeper vocals.
Unless of course you were talking about the physical element, in which case I spent 20 minutes trying to find that band for nothing LOL!

As for me...I am a HUGE fan of Meshuggah...

What's your opinion on their latest album? It seems slightly bland to me. They don't seem to have brought anything new to the table, and it seems like they are just recycling the same riffs every other song.

and with your definition of djent you forgot the most important aspect that people use to describe it...the open palm muting

Indeed, I'm not very good at describing the techniques used. I suppose I should read some more about that.

Arch Enemy
A great band, and one of the handful that have a female singer. I could never really get into Arch Enemy though. There's only a couple of songs of theirs' that I enjoy.

Dir en Grey

I'm not really sure if I would call these guys heavy metal. They seem to be more of a rock band.

Cannibal Corpse

These guys are on my top ten list. I love their grainy sound and overall heaviness. It seems these guys are the mold for every other Death Metal band, and are some of the few bands that stuck to their roots.

Gojira

This is a band that knows how to build anticipation! Their short melodies, followed by extremely heavy riffs are like a rollercoaster. The vocals are great as well, one of the only bands that I don't mind having clean singing occasionally.

Bolt Thrower

Another good band, these guys are your typical Death Metal band like Cannibal Corpse and Pyrexia... Not much else to say really :P

Behold... The Arctopus

Then we have bands like this that manage to break the mold with their technical riffs and odd time signatures. I'd even go as far, and say these guys rival Necrophagist. Been a while since I have heard such innovative riffs.

Rosetta

http://grooveshark.com/#!/profile/Rosette/22232421
Is this the one? Something tells me it's not, but I can't find any others with this name :/

Gorguts

Very nice! Chaotic Death Metal is the best Death Metal.

Cynic

Blends alternative rock, technical death metal and jazz fusion seamlessly. I just wish they would more emphasis on the technical death metal. But you've already warned me that they don't put much emphasis on the heavy elements pang, so I can't complain.

Ghost B.C.

Classic Heavy Metal is always welcome! Only downside is the clean singing.

Mastodon

Speaking of classics, there's also Mastodon. Not much to say, except that they created a song for one of my favorite shows Aqua Teen Hunger Force; Well, the movie to be exact.

Sepultura

I'm sure everyone knows who Sepultra is :P

Korpiklaani

These guys basically sound like a heavier Rammstein (Probably due to the German lyrics) It's like a mix between something you would listen to at Oktoberfest and Exodus

Well, I certainly have a lot more bands to listen to now. Thanks guys!
I'll also drop off a couple more Death Metal bands for you guys to check out: Pyrexia and Kataklysm.
stinkyjim
stinkyjim
470 posts
Shepherd

Link fix for the band Osmium

http://grooveshark.com/#!/profile/Osmium/22582492

Riptizoid101
Riptizoid101
6,257 posts
Farmer

Unless of course you were talking about the physical element, in which case I spent 20 minutes trying to find that band for nothing LOL!

Oh, there was an actual band called Osmium? I guess you'll never get those 20 minutes of your life back.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

I like old-school, "classic" metal music compared to the ear-splitting shrieking and unpalatable chaos I hear on most death/black metal bands. Consequently, Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Def Leppard, Van Halen, Judas Priest and Black Sabbath feature highly, whilst Cannibal Corpse, Mayhem, Craddle of Filth won't be making many appearances on my music collection. Bands that have more blues influence are a go for me.

I have soft spots for Gothic metal, which to some isn't metal at all, that gloomy, ungodly, Victorian influence mixed with electro. I like the increasingly cheap and thoroughly mainstream versions of Beauty and the Beast metal, Nightwish (so cliched!), Epica, After Forever.

You could say that I veer more towards the melodic side of metal, I can't really swallow music that comes out as shrieks, noise and general earache.

stinkyjim
stinkyjim
470 posts
Shepherd

I like old-school, "classic" metal music compared to the ear-splitting shrieking and unpalatable chaos I hear on most death/black metal bands. Consequently, Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Def Leppard, Van Halen, Judas Priest and Black Sabbath feature highly, whilst Cannibal Corpse, Mayhem, Craddle of Filth won't be making many appearances on my music collection. Bands that have more blues influence are a go for me.

I have soft spots for Gothic metal, which to some isn't metal at all, that gloomy, ungodly, Victorian influence mixed with electro. I like the increasingly cheap and thoroughly mainstream versions of Beauty and the Beast metal, Nightwish (so cliched!), Epica, After Forever.

You could say that I veer more towards the melodic side of metal, I can't really swallow music that comes out as shrieks, noise and general earache.

I can respect that. Most people don't listen to the most extreme stuff at first. It's an acquired taste, for sure. Kind of like eating mild hot sauce first before going for the hotter stuff.

[quote ]Oh, there was an actual band called Osmium? I guess you'll never get those 20 minutes of your life back [/quote]

No worries, I found two awesome songs that I never would have found without you. =D
stinkyjim
stinkyjim
470 posts
Shepherd

Quote fail

Oh, there was an actual band called Osmium? I guess you'll never get those 20 minutes of your life back

No worries, I found two awesome songs that I never would have found without you. =D
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

Most people don't listen to the most extreme stuff at first. It's an acquired taste, for sure. Kind of like eating mild hot sauce first before going for the hotter stuff.

It's not just that. I have listened to quite a few of the extreme range. I just don't appreciate them most of the time. Nor do I appreciate much of the lyrics, which just seem overtly violent, as if they're competing to see who can achieve the bloodiest gorefest.

To each his own though.
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

A great band, and one of the handful that have a female singer.

They were quite good with their male singer as well.

I'm not really sure if I would call these guys heavy metal. They seem to be more of a rock band.

They are experimental metal. I best describe their sound as ranging from 80's hair metal ("The Final" and "Cage", for example) to Death/heavy metal ("Agitated Screams of Maggots" and "Different Sense&quot.

Then we have bands like this that manage to break the mold with their technical riffs and odd time signatures.

Colin Marston on his Warr bass is absolutely terrifying (and I mean this in a positive way. Terrifying with how humbling it makes one) with his precision on it.

Is this the one? Something tells me it's not, but I can't find any others with this name :/

Rosetta

And their introductory album..which was highly received.
The Galilean Satellites

Very nice! Chaotic Death Metal is the best Death Metal.

And with the addition of Colin Marston and Kevin Hufnagel, oh baby!

But you've already warned me that they don't put much emphasis on the heavy elements pang, so I can't complain.

They work the melodic aspect though.

Only downside is the clean singing.

I actually enjoy it..an interesting change of pace for their genre. I also enjoy how straight to the point the band is, giving more of a focus on the vocals.

Not much to say, except

And probably housing one of the greatest fill drummers.

I'm sure everyone knows who Sepultra is :P

They better! Don't know why Roots got such a bad rap by a lot of fans =/ I actually really enjoy it.

These guys basically sound like a heavier Rammstein (Probably due to the German lyrics)

But they aren't German! =D They are Finnish.
And they are one of the greatest drinking metal bands

What's your opinion on their latest album?

I'll answer this in a bit after I re-listen to it. That way I can give a fresh perspective on it.
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

Nor do I appreciate much of the lyrics, which just seem overtly violent, as if they're competing to see who can achieve the bloodiest gorefest.

Oddly enough, you have bands like Gojira or Meshuggah who have some heavy vocals yet very poetic lyricism.
Minotaur55
Minotaur55
1,373 posts
Blacksmith

Finally, a place for metal heads to come together, hold hands, and breed in large colonies. Anyways, some awesome bands to know:

Gojira
Lamb of God
Arch Enemy
System of a Down
letlive. (I know, not really metal)
Rammstein
Megaherz
Today Is The Day (more noisecore then metal)

Those are the ones I listen to on a daily basis. And they have always been great.

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

System of a Down

Would mention them (as they are my favorite)..but they are more nu-metal
stinkyjim
stinkyjim
470 posts
Shepherd

Would mention them (as they are my favorite)..but they are more nu-metal

There's a couple good Nu-metal bands, such as Mushroomhead, Fear Factory, and Machine Head. Unfortunately, most people look down on this genre due to bands like Slipknot and Limp Bizcuit.
Showing 1-15 of 113