ForumsPopular MediaHeavy Metal - Gather'round Headbangers!

113 69806
stinkyjim
stinkyjim
470 posts
Shepherd

Hey guys, any fellow MetalHeads around? What are some good bands you guys usually listen to?

I have recently been getting into some Whitechapel and Veil of Maya. Both are Deathcore bands, and they both employ very deep riffs, as well as very deep death growls. Typically, you'll run into a lot of songs (like any other core band) that try to fuse heavy riffs with some melodic riffs in the background. These are the only Deathcore bands I listen to, since the entire core genre has too much melody for my tastes.

I'v also been getting into some Meshuggah and Vildharta. Both pioneers of the Djent genre, but only the latter is technically Djent. If you like technical song structures and low pitched riffs, these guys are the ones to listen to.

Some pretty heavy Death Metal can be heard from Abominable Putridity and Kraanium. These guys are some of the heaviest bands I have ever heard (aside from Hate Eternal). The gutturals dominate most of the vocals, with the occasional death growl now and again.

I'm always searching for new bands to listen to. Do you guys have any suggestions?

• 113 Replies
Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,508 posts
Jester

Gothic metal/rock anyone?

Does Symphonic Metal count? I find some of the same elements tie into one another. For this, I point to the God-tier band Nightwish.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

Does Symphonic Metal count? I find some of the same elements tie into one another. For this, I point to the God-tier band Nightwish.

I would say they both have a close history together! Lots of Symphonic Metal bands incorporate Gothic elements, the fusion is rich.

Nightwish is beyond God-like after their last album. Pity they got rid of the last two female singers.
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,250 posts
Regent

But then you get the group that tries TOO HARD to be Death Metal: Grindcore.

Grindcore has one difference to Death Metal: it tries to be less dark. Some have described it as the result from taking the 'heavy' out of Death Metal and the 'fun' out of Punk music, blended into very short songs. Aaand yes, they're more extreme in the 'heavy' part, also.

Nightwish is beyond God-like after their last album. Pity they got rid of the last two female singers.

I've been to a concert very recently with ReVamp as pre-band; their singer, Floor Jansen, being Nightwishs new singer (and, as I learned right now by googling her, ex- After Forever). She is good, I'm eager to hear Nightwishs next album. She sounds a bit like Epica, except when she was growling of course... (interestingly enough, Simone Simons from Epica was inspired by Tarja... weird loop :P)
NontroppO
NontroppO
366 posts
Nomad

Paradise Lost (1991) Gothic [doom metal & death metal]

Tristania (1999) Beyond the Veil [symphonic metal & gothic metal]

Carach Angren (2012) Where the Corpses Sink Forever [symphonic black metal]

Well not in the same vein as Nightwish but interesting stuff.

stinkyjim
stinkyjim
470 posts
Shepherd

Time to dabble into some necromancy, and resurrect this thread.

I have found a couple bands that you guys might enjoy.

The first is Iwrestledabearonce. Before you criticize me, I would like to say that most of their songs have very heavy parts in them. Unfortunately, they take experimental metal and rapes it over and over again. You'll find bits of polka, rap, etc., in random parts of their songs. Sometimes I question why they ended a giant slam fest in order to dance to polka instead... Give em' a try, but don't expect much.

The other is Devourment. A very heavy Death Metal band. When I say heavy, I mean some of the heaviest riffs you'll ever hear. The vocals are phenomenal, which is hard to find. Overall, they are a great band and I highly recommend them.

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

Time to dabble into some necromancy, and resurrect this thread.

Last post was only 5 days ago..

The first is Iwrestledabearonce.

One of DWF's favorite bands. I personally didn't like them. The drummer was pretty good, and the singer had some talent, but they wasted it trying to be flashy.
Devoidless
Devoidless
3,678 posts
Jester

Every so often I listen to Chelsea Grin when I'm doing housework or something. Like folding laundry. While the neighbors/people at the laundromat cast me sidelong glances.

Last House On The Left is another good one. Same application as Chelsea Grin.

MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,747 posts
King

My... my... my... is the Metal community inside ArmorGames' realms awakening again and digging it's way back too the surface once more?! =)

If only there was some more activity on the Forums (like in the good old days) and this revival wasn't with such a crappy timing... I would seriously be considering to whip out the "M.B.W.C." from the freezer, carefully thaw it and serve it's third course! =D

As for my personal taste... I haven't been listening to music that much during the past year for several reasons, but every now and then I like to enjoy some Bullet for my Valentine or put on a good old Megadeth disk! Just to blow of some steam during the ironing. Double pun, allthough both lame, intended... =P

NontroppO
NontroppO
366 posts
Nomad

Hi there again, hopefully this threat not gonna die and MrDayCee will spawn the evil forces

I gonna check Devourment and i liked Last House On The Left song; changing direction, these are some old favorites. enjoy...!

Artillery (1990) By Inheritance [thrash metal] Denmark

Heavenly (2006) Virus [power metal] France

Galneryus (2012) angel of salvation [neoclassical & power metal] Japan

MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,747 posts
King

Long time seeing you active here NontroppO! Welcome back! =)

And I would love to spawn and unleash the evil forces in this forum, but I would need to be sure that there's enough users willing to participate in the MBWC competition first... you see, the last edition was already struggling with having enough voters every round and activity went down even further since. Maybe gathering a short list of people posting and pledging allegeance here could helpme spark it up a 3rd time?

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

I doth pledge. Although I hope with some of the tastes a lot of us have, there'd be some of the non-mainstream bands receiving coverage as well

Also, wonderful band to check out - Pelican
Great instrumental post-metal/sludge

And one of my personal favorite metal bands, a newer band - Sannhet

Devoidless
Devoidless
3,678 posts
Jester

Blackguard is a band I first saw live in Montreal a few years ago. I didn't even know they were a band. My friends ans I were actually waiting for DevilDriver to play their set. Were were super pleased that we came by early in anticipation for DevilDriver, and ended up having a great time listening to Blackguard while frequenting the pit.

Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

Also, wonderful band to check out - Pelican
Great instrumental post-metal/sludge

I vouch. Just got one of their albums, The Fire in Our Throats Will Beckon the Thaw, and it's amazing. Great ambient tracks mixed with some tracks that got nice and deep. It took a few listens to really get into it because I'm not much of a fan of post-anything, but this was definitely worth the patience.

Nightwish

You can never go wrong with this one. Frankly, I feel like they're a bit overlooked in the metal community when their talent is considered, but you could say the same about many bands. Plus, it's kind of nice to be the only guy at your school who's awesome enough to listen to Nightwish. But I suppose that would make that person a metal hipster, wouldn't it? Haha.

Iwrestledabearonce

Definitely not a fan. I had a phase where I was into some really bad metalcore (Asking Alexandria comes to mind) and this was one of the bands I tried listening to. Unfortunately acts like these have been praised lately where I live.

Devourment

No words. Well, except for this: these guys are ****ing heavy.

Bullet for my Valentine

For me, it really depends on the song. I like their more recent material better, but even at that there are songs by them I've heard recently and couldn't stand.

Megadeth

\\m/

Today Is The Day

Mino showed me these guys (by these guys I mean Steve Austin, haha) and I didn't really like it at all. I listened to a song here and there for a few days before I started to get a feel for them, at which time I got Temple of the Morning Star. I really liked it and since then I've gotten Supernova and Sadness Will Prevail. The latter is probably in my top 5 albums list. Don't listen to these guys once and give up. It takes time to get to know the music. And then it's great.

Metalcore

Terrible. Like I said earlier, I went through a phase where I liked some of this stuff. But since then it all sounds the same: wannabe posers crying pop music themes.

System of a Down

As pang mentioned earlier, they're more nu-metal. But I should probably make note of them too because they're one of my top 5 bands for sure.

Gorguts

A few months ago Loudwire held a metal bassist competition (more of a poll than anything, but whatever). In the first round, Colin Marston of Gorguts was against Justin Chancellor of Tool. Being a humongous Tool fan and never hearing of Gorguts until this point in time, I showed the matchup to pang hoping for a small laugh (we were discussing previous Loudwire polls as well). To my surprise, pang actually knew who this guy was. Even more surprising, he said Marston was actually decent. I went right ahead and voted for Chancellor anyway because it isn't very consistent to back down on your favorite musical act. Chancellor won 90-something percent to a measly single digit percent by Marston. No surprise there, considering the Tool Army was much larger than the Gorguts following.

A few months later, pang, a mutual friend and I were discussing bands. Gorguts was mentioned and I remembered I hadn't checked out Marston, so I gave it a shot. Now they're one of my most respected death metal acts.

Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Def Leppard, Van Halen, Judas Priest and Black Sabbath

Can't go wrong with the legends.

A few bands I can recommend:
Tool (usually called psychedelic prog but aren't much of anything)
Melvins (noise/doom/post/sludge/these/guys/do/lots/of/genres)
Pantera (hair metal for older stuff, mainstream metal for later)
Sabaton (power)
Stratovarius (power)
Dream Theatre (prog)
Rage Against The Machine (rap/metal)
5FDP (extremely mainstream, but are sometimes considered metal; worth mentioning)
Saint Vitus (doom; would be surprised if anyone knew them)
Eyehategod (sludge)
Acid Bath (sludge)
Isis (post/stoner)
Neurosis (doom/stoner)
Green Jellÿ (comedy?)
Puscifer (lots of variety, some experimental metal thrown in)
Peach (prog)
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

A few months ago Loudwire held a metal bassist competition

Which was all complete b.s.

Even more surprising, he said Marston was actually decent.

"Actually decent".
I'm sure those are the words I used to describe his brilliance.
Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

Which was all complete b.s.

METALLICA BASSISTS ARE NOT GODS

QUIT TREATING METALLIC BASSISTS AS GODS

10% OF THE COMPETITORS SHOULD NOT BE METALLICA MEMBERS

Loudwire, I hope you consider what I have just said.

Good day.

"Actually decent".
I'm sure those are the words I used to describe his brilliance.

I'm pretty sure you said he'd smoke Chancellor but I'd never admit that. Or think that, even.
Showing 31-45 of 113