ForumsPopular MediaHeavy Metal - Gather'round Headbangers!

113 69797
stinkyjim
stinkyjim
470 posts
Shepherd

Hey guys, any fellow MetalHeads around? What are some good bands you guys usually listen to?

I have recently been getting into some Whitechapel and Veil of Maya. Both are Deathcore bands, and they both employ very deep riffs, as well as very deep death growls. Typically, you'll run into a lot of songs (like any other core band) that try to fuse heavy riffs with some melodic riffs in the background. These are the only Deathcore bands I listen to, since the entire core genre has too much melody for my tastes.

I'v also been getting into some Meshuggah and Vildharta. Both pioneers of the Djent genre, but only the latter is technically Djent. If you like technical song structures and low pitched riffs, these guys are the ones to listen to.

Some pretty heavy Death Metal can be heard from Abominable Putridity and Kraanium. These guys are some of the heaviest bands I have ever heard (aside from Hate Eternal). The gutturals dominate most of the vocals, with the occasional death growl now and again.

I'm always searching for new bands to listen to. Do you guys have any suggestions?

• 113 Replies
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

Loudwire, I hope you consider what I have just said.

Nothing about the other contests?

I'm pretty sure you said he'd smoke Chancellor but I'd never admit that. Or think that, even.

Marston could not only play all of Chancellor's bass lines with ease, but he could do so while playing a different song simultaneously.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

Terrible. Like I said earlier, I went through a phase where I liked some of this stuff. But since then it all sounds the same: wannabe posers crying pop music themes.

HAHAHAHA, coming out of mine was bliss. Now I listen back and realise they're almost all the same cookie-cutter emo, screaming, pseudo-pop, whining horse**** bands that claim they're better than the pop scene.

I like folk metal, I'm not sure if anyone here does. Korpiklaani, Eluveitie, and the like. Fits into my preference for music that is generally melodious. Too bad I can't understand their lyrics half the time.
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,250 posts
Regent

I like folk metal, I'm not sure if anyone here does. Korpiklaani, Eluveitie, and the like.

I sure like them. What about Alestorm or Finntroll? Amon Amarth is often considered more Melodeath than Folk, I'm not sure why...
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

I sure like them. What about Alestorm or Finntroll? Amon Amarth is often considered more Melodeath than Folk, I'm not sure why...

I adore Finntroll! They're very ironic and humorous in their song subjects, but I'll never understand them. Amon Amarth does sound more like melodeath/death than Folk to me though. They don't seem to have any folk music/instruments in their songs, at least from what I recall.
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,250 posts
Regent

It's true that they don't have any folk instrument.. didn't think of that. It's just that they sound more folkish than other melodeath bands. And they are very viking themed; but I guess since I'm not accepting christian metal as a genre, I have no reason to think that Amon Amarth is folk just because they like to sing about vikings...

SportShark
SportShark
2,980 posts
Scribe

I'm not a big fan of heavy metal, but I do like some Metallica songs.
Wherever I May Roam (Live) is one of my favorites.
Also, does Avenged Sevenfold count as heavy metal?

stinkyjim
stinkyjim
470 posts
Shepherd

[quote ]Definitely not a fan. I had a phase where I was into some really bad metalcore (Asking Alexandria comes to mind) and this was one of the bands I tried listening to. Unfortunately acts like these have been praised lately where I live. [/quote]

Haha! Yes! I tried not to bash too many bands in this thread, but Asking Alexandria is one of my least favorite bands. This band seems to be the go-to band for the people who don't know what real heavy metal is =P

stinkyjim
stinkyjim
470 posts
Shepherd

Sorry quote fail:

Definitely not a fan. I had a phase where I was into some really bad metalcore (Asking Alexandria comes to mind) and this was one of the bands I tried listening to. Unfortunately acts like these have been praised lately where I live

I'm also glad to see that many people dislike Metalcore in general. It truly is the scourge of heavy metal.
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

Also, does Avenged Sevenfold count as heavy metal?

Depends on who you talk to. I see them more as a heavy rock group, with their earlier stuff being from the -core genre.
IceClaw247
IceClaw247
843 posts
Jester

ah one of my favourite topics. I listen to mostly Deathcore and Deathmetal, also some general heavy metal; no "metalcore" **** for me.

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

Bought Behold... The Arctopus's Skullgrid album today (can't believe I found one! =O) and listening to it now \\\\m/

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,250 posts
Regent

Was at a concert yesterday evening. Main act was Subway To Sally, which I didn't see because it was too late. But that's OK since I went there mostly for the supporting acts: Lordi and Korpiklaani (and some strange band named Lord Of The Lost which turned out to be some kind of emo rock band...).

Anyway, Korpiklaani was awesome simply due to their music; I even tried out the Moshpit for the first time. Lordi of course had the costumes, but I found out they have a really good stage presence, it's not just a music concert, it's a show. And it's good.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

I even tried out the Moshpit for the first time.

Blimey, you've been missing some fun aye.
stinkyjim
stinkyjim
470 posts
Shepherd

Blimey, you've been missing some fun aye

I can't imagine being shoved around and possibly trampled on being fun... Unless I'm the one doing the shoving and trampling! :P
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

I can't imagine being shoved around and possibly trampled on being fun... Unless I'm the one doing the shoving and trampling! :P

That's the spirit old chap.
Showing 46-60 of 113