Forums

ForumsPopular Media

Heavy Metal

Posted Nov 10, '13 at 10:37pm

stinkyjim

stinkyjim

465 posts

Quote fail

Oh, there was an actual band called Osmium? I guess you'll never get those 20 minutes of your life back

No worries, I found two awesome songs that I never would have found without you. =D

Posted Nov 10, '13 at 11:26pm

nichodemus

nichodemus

12,166 posts

Knight

Most people don't listen to the most extreme stuff at first. It's an acquired taste, for sure. Kind of like eating mild hot sauce first before going for the hotter stuff.

It's not just that. I have listened to quite a few of the extreme range. I just don't appreciate them most of the time. Nor do I appreciate much of the lyrics, which just seem overtly violent, as if they're competing to see who can achieve the bloodiest gorefest.

To each his own though.

Posted Nov 10, '13 at 11:31pm

pangtongshu

pangtongshu

8,704 posts

A great band, and one of the handful that have a female singer.

They were quite good with their male singer as well.

I'm not really sure if I would call these guys heavy metal. They seem to be more of a rock band.

They are experimental metal. I best describe their sound as ranging from 80's hair metal ("The Final" and "Cage", for example) to Death/heavy metal ("Agitated Screams of Maggots" and "Different Sense").

Then we have bands like this that manage to break the mold with their technical riffs and odd time signatures.

Colin Marston on his Warr bass is absolutely terrifying (and I mean this in a positive way. Terrifying with how humbling it makes one) with his precision on it.

Is this the one? Something tells me it's not, but I can't find any others with this name :/

Rosetta

And their introductory album..which was highly received.
The Galilean Satellites

Very nice! Chaotic Death Metal is the best Death Metal.

And with the addition of Colin Marston and Kevin Hufnagel, oh baby!

But you've already warned me that they don't put much emphasis on the heavy elements pang, so I can't complain.

They work the melodic aspect though.

Only downside is the clean singing.

I actually enjoy it..an interesting change of pace for their genre. I also enjoy how straight to the point the band is, giving more of a focus on the vocals.

Not much to say, except

And probably housing one of the greatest fill drummers.

I'm sure everyone knows who Sepultra is :P

They better! Don't know why Roots got such a bad rap by a lot of fans =/ I actually really enjoy it.

These guys basically sound like a heavier Rammstein (Probably due to the German lyrics)

But they aren't German! =D They are Finnish.
And they are one of the greatest drinking metal bands ;)

What's your opinion on their latest album?

I'll answer this in a bit after I re-listen to it. That way I can give a fresh perspective on it.

Posted Nov 10, '13 at 11:33pm

pangtongshu

pangtongshu

8,704 posts

Nor do I appreciate much of the lyrics, which just seem overtly violent, as if they're competing to see who can achieve the bloodiest gorefest.

Oddly enough, you have bands like Gojira or Meshuggah who have some heavy vocals yet very poetic lyricism.

Posted Nov 11, '13 at 2:29am

Minotaur55

Minotaur55

1,260 posts

Knight

Finally, a place for metal heads to come together, hold hands, and breed in large colonies. Anyways, some awesome bands to know:

Gojira
Lamb of God
Arch Enemy
System of a Down
letlive. (I know, not really metal)
Rammstein
Megaherz
Today Is The Day (more noisecore then metal)

Those are the ones I listen to on a daily basis. And they have always been great.

Posted Nov 11, '13 at 3:02am

pangtongshu

pangtongshu

8,704 posts

System of a Down

Would mention them (as they are my favorite)..but they are more nu-metal

Posted Nov 11, '13 at 12:29pm

stinkyjim

stinkyjim

465 posts

There's a couple good Nu-metal bands, such as Mushroomhead, Fear Factory, and Machine Head. Unfortunately, most people look down on this genre due to bands like Slipknot and Limp Bizcuit.

Posted Nov 11, '13 at 3:21pm

Minotaur55

Minotaur55

1,260 posts

Knight

They're more Experimental Metal then anything else. Nu Metal can't really be defined in my opinion. When I listen to Nu-Metal all of the bands make it sound completely different, the beats can be all over the place.

But now that I mention it, yeah, I guess System Of A Down should be considered Nu-Metal. You learn something new everyday.

Posted Nov 12, '13 at 7:11am

nichodemus

nichodemus

12,166 posts

Knight

Oddly enough, you have bands like Gojira or Meshuggah who have some heavy vocals yet very poetic lyricism.

I don't mind the odd song from Meshuggah, and I like how their lyrics are progressive vis a vis other contemporary artists. I just don't fancy that kind of sound.

Posted Nov 12, '13 at 8:08pm

stinkyjim

stinkyjim

465 posts

don't mind the odd song from Meshuggah, and I like how their lyrics are progressive vis a vis other contemporary artists. I just don't fancy that kind of sound.

I always found Meshuggah relaxing (compared to other bands). I think a good song to check out would be Shed. Besides the initial death growl, the rest of the song is pretty mellow. The distorted chugging is still there, but not as prominent.

Reply to Heavy Metal

You must be logged in to post a reply!