Forums

ForumsPopular Media

Heavy Metal

Posted Dec 25, '13 at 1:31pm

stinkyjim

stinkyjim

464 posts

I'm assuming everyone has heard of Opeth? They're pretty much my jam when at a bar...when I want said bar to clear out really fast.

Waaaaay too much melody to be considered Death Metal, yet everyone calls them Death Metal xD. The occasional song is pretty good, but the majority of their songs are pure melody with a couple heavy riffs here and there. Not a fan, but if you like the singer then check out Bloodbath. It's the same singer, just much heavier songs.

Posted Dec 25, '13 at 2:27pm

HahiHa

HahiHa

5,005 posts

Knight

Waaaaay too much melody to be considered Death Metal, yet everyone calls them Death Metal xD. The occasional song is pretty good, but the majority of their songs are pure melody with a couple heavy riffs here and there. Not a fan, but if you like the singer then check out Bloodbath. It's the same singer, just much heavier songs.

Well they certainly don't qualify as Melodic Metal, having no keyboard/keytar or such. They might qualify as Melodeath, this could be debated. But mostly it's their growling and dark ambience that definitely puts them somewhere around Death Metal.

Posted Dec 25, '13 at 5:06pm

Fiends

Fiends

112 posts

Metalcore and deathcore's gone sissy, although progressive and melodic death metal are pretty good. I listen to: Bathory, 6 feet under, Black dahlia murder, Deicide, After the burial, Between the buried and me, Celtic frost, Kreator, krisiun, amon amarth, 3, behemoth, Slayer (80's), cannibal corpse, anvil, sepultura (duh), terrorizer, entombed and At the gates.

Posted Dec 25, '13 at 5:40pm

HahiHa

HahiHa

5,005 posts

Knight

Sorry for shortly coming back to Opeth, but I felt like sharing this.. going on wikipedia to see what they had to say about genre, and the differences between the articles, was quite enlightening.

This is what the English page says:

Progressive death metal, progressive metal, progressive rock

And this, ladies and gentlemen, is what the French page says:

Metal progressif, rock progressif, death mélodique, death metal technique, doom metal, black metal, avant-garde metal, rock psychédélique, jazz fusion

My conclusion: I will definitely call Opeth 'death metal-ish'; but it seems their music is not conventionally classifiable. Basically you can call it what you want.

Anyway.. anyone ever listened to Virgin Black?

Posted Dec 30, '13 at 10:00am

IceClaw247

IceClaw247

673 posts

Kataklysm, Bleed From Within and Carnifex I recommend also. Kataklysm are death metal and the other two are death core.

Posted Jan 1, '14 at 5:03pm

NontroppO

NontroppO

365 posts

http://i42.tinypic.com/w8uiqs.jpg
Slayer (1985) Hell Awaits [thrash metal] United States

http://i42.tinypic.com/6h19nl.jpg
Bathory (1987) Under The Sign Of The Black Mark [classic black metal] Sweden

http://i42.tinypic.com/2aaenp4.jpg
Sarco***o (1987) I.N.R.I. [black & thrash & death metal] Brazil

- Some samples of the Black Metal development.

Posted Jan 1, '14 at 5:33pm

Fiends

Fiends

112 posts

Nice ^

Posted Jan 18, '14 at 11:38pm

nichodemus

nichodemus

11,872 posts

Knight

Found another female fronted band. :L

Posted Jan 19, '14 at 11:03am

HahiHa

HahiHa

5,005 posts

Knight

Found another female fronted band. :L

You're making it sound as if it was the exception!

I like her voice a lot. Good music, too.

Posted Jan 19, '14 at 11:46am

IceClaw247

IceClaw247

673 posts

Evanescence have a female member, they're not really heavy nor good in my opinion but thought I would mention them to show they're are quite a few bands with female members.

Reply to Heavy Metal

You must be logged in to post a reply!