ForumsPopular MediaHeavy Metal - Gather'round Headbangers!

116 29394
stinkyjim
stinkyjim
484 posts
Farmer

Hey guys, any fellow MetalHeads around? What are some good bands you guys usually listen to?

I have recently been getting into some Whitechapel and Veil of Maya. Both are Deathcore bands, and they both employ very deep riffs, as well as very deep death growls. Typically, you'll run into a lot of songs (like any other core band) that try to fuse heavy riffs with some melodic riffs in the background. These are the only Deathcore bands I listen to, since the entire core genre has too much melody for my tastes.

I'v also been getting into some Meshuggah and Vildharta. Both pioneers of the Djent genre, but only the latter is technically Djent. If you like technical song structures and low pitched riffs, these guys are the ones to listen to.

Some pretty heavy Death Metal can be heard from Abominable Putridity and Kraanium. These guys are some of the heaviest bands I have ever heard (aside from Hate Eternal). The gutturals dominate most of the vocals, with the occasional death growl now and again.

I'm always searching for new bands to listen to. Do you guys have any suggestions?

• 116 Replies
Fiends
Fiends
114 posts
Shepherd

Nice ^

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,609 posts
Regent

Found another female fronted band. :L

HahiHa
HahiHa
7,125 posts
Grand Duke

Found another female fronted band. :L

You're making it sound as if it was the exception!

I like her voice a lot. Good music, too.
IceClaw247
IceClaw247
859 posts
Scribe

Evanescence have a female member, they're not really heavy nor good in my opinion but thought I would mention them to show they're are quite a few bands with female members.

HahiHa
HahiHa
7,125 posts
Grand Duke

Nightwish; Epica; Arch Enemy; After Forever; Leaves' Eyes; Within Temptation;...

Just those I can think of from the top of my mind.

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,991 posts
Scribe

(unrelated to female singer topic)

Static-X. That is all

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,609 posts
Regent

You're making it sound as if it was the exception!

I like her voice a lot. Good music, too.

Oops, missed out a word!

Found, yet another female fronted band.
Imasgrohn
Imasgrohn
24 posts
Peasant

Oh boy where do I even start
I'm into any kind of metal, honestly
Nekrogoblikon, Furia, Slayer, Van Canto, Havok, Norther, Finntroll, just to call a few
http://www.last.fm/user/Imasgrohn

IceClaw247
IceClaw247
859 posts
Scribe

Yes I can definitely dispute Paramore, they are rock, well, barely even that. The rest I have not heard of before.

Minotaur55
Minotaur55
1,387 posts
Jester

Here is a band no one has heard before: Xasthur.

'Nuff said.

MrDayCee
MrDayCee
13,553 posts
King

Yes I can definitely dispute Paramore, they are rock, well, barely even that.

*derails topic a bit* True, but the line is thin and the area grey... how much distortion on a guitar is allowed for a band to be called Metal instead of rock? And the rythems used in the riffs, beats and overall tempo of their music? Questions, questions... oh wait! Weren't we talking about 'Female Fronted Bands' here? =P

Here is a band no one has heard before: Xasthur.

'Nuff said.

Actually... no... linky linky please? (Too lazy to search on the net for them... =P)
Minotaur55
Minotaur55
1,387 posts
Jester

Xasthur Wikipedia Article
Xasthur - Subliminal Genocide (please excuse poor quality)

Unusual to say the least. Somehow I like it.

Devoidless
Devoidless
3,712 posts
Scribe

My Frustration by Coal Chamber
Brackish by Kittie and We Are The Lamb and Cut Throat.

The second one is an all-female metal band. Oh, and I don't care if you people don't classify these bands as 'heavy metal'. I've been listening to this sort of musik before all those sub-genre shenanigans existed.

xXxDAPRO89xXx
xXxDAPRO89xXx
6,794 posts
Count

Nightwish

I love Nightwish's blend of instruments in their music... I don't usually like metal that much but Nightwish is an exception
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,609 posts
Regent

Right... Never saw anyone mentioning In This Moment, or The Dirty Youth, or Paramore, or Amaranthe, or Sirenia, or Tristania, or Xandria?! =)

I have always loved the last four to bits, although Amaranthe gets alot of derogatory flak for not being ''metal'' enough. I adore how they fuse pop melodies with metal, but three singers kills if off for me.

Paramore definitely isn't metal for me, I don't reckon there's a ''definite'' gauge of riffs/beats that make a band metal or not, but generally when one listens to it, one can already discern clearly. Laymanish, but oh well.
Showing 76-90 of 116