Forums

ForumsNews, Feedback and Suggestions

Annoying prev/next links

Posted Dec 1, '13 at 7:08pm

insanekun

insanekun

3 posts

On an interesting sidenote: Clicking out of screen will otherwise cause your game to stop

Yes, I am well aware of this. However, these &quotrev/next links" are right next to my game window, so when I "accidentally click outside the (game) screen, these are the first things I will (accidentally) click, and by doing so; it will load whatever game is on those links, and take me away from the active game I was playing. Then I will have to hit "back" on my browser, and reload my game... which will mean I have to replay whatever level I was on. Not fun at all. Please have these &quotrev/next links" open in a NEW TAB, so that I wont lose my active game, should I accidentally hit the &quotrev/next links".

Posted Dec 2, '13 at 2:46am

MacII

MacII

1,369 posts

Please have these &quotrev/next links" open in a NEW TAB, so that I wont lose my active game, should I accidentally hit the &quotrev/next links".

Yes, I do recognize the problem. As an intermediate DIY solution, see if you can set your browser to open links in a new tab, rather than a new window. Off the top of my head, I don't think Internet Explorer (easily) allows for this; I know Firefox does. You can set the latter so that new tabs will open in the background, even, so you never get taken off-screen. It will still cause you some lag, of course...

Posted Dec 2, '13 at 2:51am

MacII

MacII

1,369 posts

Wait...

it will load whatever game is on those links, and take me away from the active game I was playing. Then I will have to hit "back" on my browser, and reload my game...

I see, you mean they open in the same window, right? That would be, um, a botheration, as my Indian pals would call it

Not sure if this can be adjusted at your browser's end; quite possibly not. Anyone?

Ferret, admins/mods, can they indeed be set to open in a new tab, server-side?

Posted Dec 2, '13 at 6:54pm

insanekun

insanekun

3 posts

Thanks for trying to help.

Well, I use Firefox and a PC. I'm quite sure I've set everything to open links in new tabs, but as I wrote these &quotrev/next links" still open in the same window (taking me away from my active game).

Anyway, I just wanted to add my opinion about the &quotrev/next links" feature, and I personally don't care whether they are there or not visually; as long as they do not interfere with my gaming experience when I accidentally click them (which they currently do). :/

Posted Dec 4, '13 at 8:17am

Metso

Metso

1 post

Yep these are annoying as hell. Make them optional, open in a new tab or an "are you sure" message when you click them please. Also they are pretty useless anyway imo. Just my 2 cents.

Posted Dec 30, '13 at 3:55pm

Morbain

Morbain

1 post

I have a firefox addon called Remove it Permanently. I can after a few click remove the links on my screen as long as I remember to do it.

Posted Jan 18, '14 at 2:37am

GustOfWind

GustOfWind

1 post

Cripples some games by making some of their text impossible to read, or by outright blocking you from clicking the necessary spot when you need to click it.

I've already played two games affected by it tonight, one in which I was supposed to be paying attention to text but repeatedly had words being cut off by those nuisances.

The option to remove it is desperately needed.

Posted Jan 18, '14 at 3:35am

Ernie15

Ernie15

13,419 posts

Knight

I just measured the distance of the prev/next icons from the game window. Almost exactly 5/8 of an inch on my screen. That's roughly the distance of GustOfWind's username to the thin grey line between separating his/her name from his/her posts. Missing the game window and hitting the "next" icon is the basically the equivalent of attempting to click on GustOfWind's username and instead hitting the grey line. In other words, you almost have to go out of your way to miss by that much.

Now, if only one person were to complain about the prev/next icons getting in the way, I would just suggest they work on their mouse control. However, looking back on this thread, it seems to be a common problem that affects some people but not others, which leads me to believe this issue has nothing to do with the site, but rather with the individual settings of the users filing the complaints.

I'm not sure if I've found the problem, but I may have a possible solution to those who are still experiencing difficulties with these features and to those who experience difficulty in the future. My screen's resolution is 1920 x 1080, which is the highest resolution offered on my Windows 7-run computer. At this resolution, even if your cursor slips off the side of the game window, it's not going to go anywhere near the prev/next icons. I changed my resolution to the lowest resolution offered, 800 x 600, and found that, while everything seemed further apart, one stroke of the mouse covered a lot more ground, and one slight move in either direction out of the game window could send your cursor flying; and in a fast-paced clicking game, one such move while clicking rapidly could cause you to click on something you don't want to, at least far more easily than it could in a high resolution environment.

So I don't know if this will work or not, but for those of you with problems with these icons, check your resolution. If it's on the low side (below 1280 x 720), try raising it and see if you notice a difference. It should, at the very least, lessen your chances of clicking on anything unwanted outside of the game window.

Posted Jan 19, '14 at 5:50am

InvisibleLight

InvisibleLight

6 posts

Hi!

I have recently started a thread with the same topic. MacII has told me about this thread. Thanks Big Mac!

Ferret has asked for screenshots to demonstrate the problem. So I am showing you now what the problem looks like to me. I use to play on a Linux system, using Firefox of course - always in fullscreen mode (F11) when playing. And, I am using a FF Add on called "Flash Resizer". It gives flash boxes a green border on the right side. By clicking it, and moving the mouse, you can change the size of the box. By double-clicking it, the whole box will be set to fullscreen size.

As you can see here, without resizing the window the "Last"-Button overlaps the game box:

[URL=http://www.pic-upload.de/view-21995920/Bildschirmfoto-vom-2014-01-19-11-35-36.png.html][IMG]http://www7.pic-upload.de/thumb/19.01.14/osbpx2ojido.png[/IMG][/URL]

After setting the box to fullscreen size, the buttons appear right inside of the box:

[URL=http://www.pic-upload.de/view-21995919/Bildschirmfoto-vom-2014-01-19-11-36-06.png.html][IMG]http://www7.pic-upload.de/thumb/19.01.14/216cqfykzdbi.png[/IMG][/URL]

Greetings,
Invisible Light

Posted Jan 19, '14 at 5:55am

InvisibleLight

InvisibleLight

6 posts

Oh sorry - showing the pictures the way I wanted to seems not to work.
I think I'm not able to change the posting now. So I'll try it just by showing the pictures - hoping, that they are not too big...

http://www7.pic-upload.de/19.01.14/osbpx2ojido.png

http://www7.pic-upload.de/19.01.14/216cqfykzdbi.png

Reply to Annoying prev/next links

You must be logged in to post a reply!