ForumsWEPR-THE- PATRIARCHY!!...and how it doesn't exist

19 20516
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,995 posts

So I am currently doing a paper for my Essay Writing class, in which we must take a stance on a social issue and argue for or against it. I have taken the issue of feminism (more specifically third-wave feminism [even more specifically the radical feminists that have hijacked the movement]), and am arguing against (the radical feminists).

I am going to argue against their desire to change the titles of female and women, showing that their etymology are actually relatively harmless...the expansion and over-complication of gender (of which we have a thread about this in WEPR)...and their false idea of there being a Patriarchy.

So I ask your thoughts on the matter, what do you think of the idea of the Patriarchy?

-----

My thoughts, which for now I will keep shortened due to my focus being on this essay...is as I mentioned, it is merely a false idea.

To start, I see the feminist movement itself as evidence of a lack of patriarchy. Patriarchy, by definition, is a social system in which males are the primary authority figures central to social organization, occupying roles of political leadership, moral authority, and control of property, and where fathers hold authority over women and children. It implies the institutions of male rule and privilege, and entails female subordination Source

As taken even further, these radical feminists view the Patriarchy as an oppressive institution against females, which herein we find an issue with their idea. How can there be a Patriarchy, which by definition (whether intentionally or unintentionally) oppresses females, if said Patriarchy is issuing rights towards females? If there truly was a Patriarchy, and one as powerful as these radical feminists state, then would their movement be all for naught?

Furthermore, if we were to accept that there is a Patriarchy, and our government is a Patriarchal one, then we must therefore accept that it is the females that are catalysts for this state and in fact cause it to be so.
"B-but pang, how can that be so??!"
Well let's look at the numbers!

In 2011, 46.2% of females voted in the 2010 congressional voting, while only 44.8% of males voted in that election.

Now further into the number hole we goooooo
Population of both genders (in 2011)
Females - 158.3 million
Males - 153.3 million.

This means that the voting population was..
Females - ~73million
Males - ~69million

That's right people, females, due to majority rule, control the voting game. That means, theoretically (if females wanted to), we could have an all female government*. Therefore, it is the females that are voting in this so called Patriarchy.

*"Ha! Got you here pang! There are hardly any females IN government, so how can we vote for females if there are none?"
pray tell, how does this equate a patriarchy, though? Females can just as easily go into politics, but evidently opt not to. Instead of pushing to hinder men in the political game, the movement should push to further female attendance in it.

• 19 Replies
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,995 posts

Great read

Discusses the inflation of rape statistics and the "one in four" myth.

samy
samy
4,912 posts

Better Read

Because one, one, story like this is cause enough to warrant dramatic shifts in policy.

I don't care if one woman out of one-hundred is raped, it's a massive issue and, morally, we must address it.

Nurvana
Nurvana
2,538 posts

samy you don't understand the point pang is trying to make. Besides severely discouraging me from going to amherst, all that article did was tell me rape is bad. Yeah, we all know that. That's not what the argument is. This isn't a thread about rape. But the study of how feminists use misleading and generalized questions to overstate the statistical magnitude of rape, resulting in the throwing of money at the problem without the actual analysis of it, lends to his attack of feminism and their view of the patriarchy. In fact, the article even talks about how rape isn't necessarily related to a patriarchal society. It was just a mechanic he was using to prove a point.

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,995 posts

Of course it's a massive issue, such as murder, torture, etc. The point of my article is not to say it shouldn't be addressed, but to admit that it isn't as frequent of a happening as it may seem.

It also shows that the idea of Patriarchy = rape culture, or the two being hand in hand, doesn't really match up...given that Japan, for instance, has far larger of a patriarchal society as ours, yet has staggering lower rape counts. This shows that it isn't patriarchal tendencies, but aggressive/violent ones.

Also, there is the scare of false accusations. 1 rape is 1 too many, and so is 1 false accusation.

Showing 16-19 of 19