Forums

ForumsWorld Events, Politics, Religion, Etc.

Sylvia Browne Dead at 77 (She predicted she would live to 88)

Posted Nov 21, '13 at 10:20pm

Salvidian

Salvidian

4,299 posts

repetitive sequence called stimulus-response

called reinforcement-punishment*

Got it mixed up with classical conditioning. Sorry, it's been a while since my last psych class. Details escape me.

Posted Nov 22, '13 at 12:20pm

HahiHa

HahiHa

5,260 posts

Knight

I don't like psychics a lot, because they are nothing more than professional manipulators. I also agree that they can even be harmful at times; depending on how much they care about how strongly their words effect the persons. Saying whether a lost or kidnapped child lives or was killed, is cruel at best.

Posted Nov 23, '13 at 1:22am

MageGrayWolf

MageGrayWolf

9,776 posts

Knight

To conduct the experiment, he took 8 pigeons, starved them (to give them motivation to get rewards), placed them in cages called Skinner Boxes, and gave the pigeons food pellets at a fixed interval of time. Within the Skinner Boxes, there was a non-functioning button. So BFS did this just to see what would happen, essentially.

I've seen video of that experiment, rather interesting.

I don't like psychics a lot, because they are nothing more than professional manipulators.

I do think there are a number of "psychics" who are self delusional, believing they really do have some sort of ability. Sylvia Browne I don't think was one of them.

Since you guys seem to agree with me on this subject I will leave you with the comments I got where I had my posts deleted for calling her a fraud. maybe it will give some points to argue against.

"At least she was willing to admit when she was wrong... unlike so many others in that "field""

"She should have stayed out of the limelight. No psychic is 100% accurate all the time but she did have plenty of accurate readings. She was always in the limelight so she was torn to shreds at every turn."

"Mage you are wrong. if you were right then police departments would not have come back to her over and over and over again."

"There are clearly some people who have some sort of gift....she was helpig the police as far back as the 70's...."

The last on in particular might be of interest to look into.

Posted Nov 23, '13 at 1:48am

pangtongshu

pangtongshu

9,704 posts

"She should have stayed out of the limelight. No psychic is 100% accurate all the time but she did have plenty of accurate readings. She was always in the limelight so she was torn to shreds at every turn."

Walk throughout the street and ask every person you see if their father is dead. You won't get 100% right..but because you got a good number right does that make you a psychic?

"Mage you are wrong. if you were right then police departments would not have come back to her over and over and over again."

"There are clearly some people who have some sort of gift....she was helping the police as far back as the 70's...."

>Implying the police are always trustworthy sources
>Implying police have the final say in who and who shouldn't be trusted

So what if she was always helping the police? What does that tell us other than the police trusted her?
Plus..if they really believe people have such magical abilities, they should go collect that million dollar reward that one old guy is offering..

Posted Nov 23, '13 at 5:18am

nichodemus

nichodemus

13,240 posts

Knight

Why would the police come back to her? An odd but potent mixture of helplessness, and urban myth tends to do the trick.

Posted Nov 23, '13 at 9:36pm

MageGrayWolf

MageGrayWolf

9,776 posts

Knight

I was hoping to get you guys to do some home work.

"Browne's work as a psychic detective (as opposed to her ideas about "the afterlife," for example), spanning 35 cases. In 21, the details were too vague to be verified. Of the remaining 14, law-enforcement officials or family members involved in the investigations say that Browne had played no useful role." http://web.archive.org/web/20010124001100/http:/brillscontent.com/2000dec/notebook/psychic.shtml

"Among the things Browne failed to predict was the availability of those transcripts on the Internet through databases such as LexisNexis. The authors, as well as several members of the James Randi Educational Foundation forum and StopSylvia.com, closely examined each transcript to track Browneâs accuracy. According to Browne, âmy accuracy rate is somewhere between 87 and 90 percent, if Iâm recalling correctly.â This article disputes that statistic by examining the criminal cases for which Browne has performed readings. The research demonstrates that in 115 cases (all of the available readings), Browneâs confirmable accuracy was 0 percent." http://www.csicop.org/si/show/psychic_defective_sylvia_brownes_history_of_failure/

I have to admit a 0% success rate is pretty unbelievable, you would think with so many tries that she would at least hit on something by chance.

"So my psychic abilities are zero and I'm unlucky." -(Starship Troopers)

they should go collect that million dollar reward that one old guy is offering..

James Randi at the JREF. Sylvia had said she would go in and put her abilities to the test but never got back to them.

Reply to Sylvia Browne Dead at 77 (She predicted she would live to 88)

You must be logged in to post a reply!