Forums

ForumsWorld Events, Politics, Religion, Etc.

Defects and Reproducing

Posted Nov 23, '13 at 10:17pm

daleks

daleks

3,325 posts

Moe and I were talking on a chat about people with defects and if they should be allowed to reproduce.

Situation:
The situation is that there is a person with a defect where they do not think they are better off dead, but sometimes have thoughts that they do.

The question is if they should be allowed to reproduce knowing that there is a chance that the defect, being genetic, could be given to the child.

Posted Nov 23, '13 at 10:31pm

pHacon

pHacon

1,313 posts

Please be more specific. There are many reasons a person could think they would be better off dead, many of them possibly just a result of social stigma and not any kind of lack of function or impaired function.

The defect might well be cosmetic only, in any case.

Posted Nov 23, '13 at 10:38pm

stinkyjim

stinkyjim

465 posts

It's up to the person with the defect to choose whether or not to reproduce and possibly pass on that defect. We shouldn't let the government or any other group decide who gets to reproduce or not. That's how the holocaust started.

Posted Nov 23, '13 at 10:38pm

daleks

daleks

3,325 posts

We are assuming that the defect is genetic so it will be able to be pasted down to the offspring. The person feels like they would be better off dead because of slight mixture of social stigma but mainly because of impaired function.

Is that good enough for you?

Posted Nov 23, '13 at 10:44pm

pangtongshu

pangtongshu

8,715 posts

What counts as a defect? My colourblindness and ADHD? Or something more severe?

Also, might as well activate Godwin's law.

Posted Nov 23, '13 at 10:45pm

daleks

daleks

3,325 posts

Whatever would put you and possibly your child thinking about killing themselves.

Posted Nov 23, '13 at 10:47pm

MageGrayWolf

MageGrayWolf

9,691 posts

Knight

I think this brings up a better question of where does one draw the line?

Posted Nov 23, '13 at 11:07pm

pHacon

pHacon

1,313 posts

Not quite, but I will say that if the guy is ugly, chances are decent that he'll have trouble finding a partner with whom to reproduce in the first place. And with the workforce being more and more specialized, the defect may not even provide much of a hindrance.

Governments are supposed to be instituted to secure our rights, not to limit them. I'd hope the most he'd get is discouraged from reproduction, but he should have the ability to, if he so chose. Unless bringing the child into the world would do it nothing but pointless suffering.

Posted Nov 23, '13 at 11:23pm

Riptizoid101

Riptizoid101

3,385 posts

Whatever would put you and possibly your child thinking about killing themselves.

That's subjective, there are tons of variables such as if the person is overreacting or just doesn't care. It really comes down to our opinions of whether somebody else should live or die based on a defect.

Also... if they think that they'd be better off dead... why would they want to reproduce all of a sudden, knowing full well they could pass their gene off? If I was in that situation, I'd rather not risk the chance to pass on my defect to somebody and put them in the same situation as I was. And besides, it's not like the human race is depending on me to make kids, because the population is increasing exponentially. Some may even make the argument that it would be BETTER if I didn't reproduce, eliminating the strain of the defect, albeit not entirely as I'm sure somebody else would have it.

Posted Nov 23, '13 at 11:29pm

daleks

daleks

3,325 posts

I guess using the world "allowed" was a bad choice. A better word that I should have used was moral.

Basically, if you read what Rip said in his second paragraph, that is more on track as to what the talk is about. Sorry about the confusion.

Reply to Defects and Reproducing

You must be logged in to post a reply!