ForumsThe TavernMechs in warfare

12 3317
roydotor2000
roydotor2000
340 posts
Nomad

What would happen if mechs were used in warfare today? post opinions pls.

• 12 Replies
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

We'd spend more money on the proper metal and technology

danielo
danielo
1,773 posts
Peasant

Isnt they are called tanks/warplanes these days?

MacII
MacII
1,315 posts
Shepherd

Drones, mine-clearing robots, mechanically altered marine mammals, nanotechnology... check.

wflag10
wflag10
1,269 posts
Nomad

Wars will require less people to fight, because one giant robot that shoots lasers and looks cool = 100 people.

Reton8
Reton8
3,173 posts
King

What would happen if mechs were used in warfare today?

If they were used today? They wouldn't work very well and they would be impractical. The technology for very large, bidpedal, mechanical, armoured robots (a.k.a mechs) is not quite up to speed with the technology we see in cartoons, movies, and animes.

If you take a look at this article you can see a few real life "mechs" that mostly have novelty purposes, aren't widely employed or aren't really used in warfare.
http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-real-world-mechs-straight-out-science-fiction/

The following mech is much closer to a fighting machine, but again it's not actual military equipment.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPoK1ANL6rU

Here are a few of the possible reasons why mechs are impractical for combat.

1.) If a human to man the ****pit you are putting lives in danger. Unmanned drones and other such technology already exist that keep soldiers off and safe from the battlefield. (Although the mech could be remotely operated).

2.) Giant mechs would require large amount of resources to build.

3.) Giant mech would be an easy target to spot and hit by the enemy. Mechs are probably hard to make stealth to radar as well.

4.) Transporting mechs to the battlefield would consume large quantities of fuel and probably would take longer to transport than tanks.

5.) It doesn't require a large armoured mech to deliver a powerful payload. Anti-tank guns (think RPGs) can stop tanks and be held and fired by infantry. Airplanes, drones, sub-marines, and other such military vehicles are all smaller, and most likely faster than a mech and can all launch highly destructive missiles, which would probably be the same type of missiles a mech would use.

Gigantic mechs are all around impractical for warfare. However, smaller human sized mechs could play a role in adding infantry units someday. But I feel the closest we will see to mechs in combat will be exoskeletons, which already being developed to help aid infantry in carrying heavier loads more easily.
MacII
MacII
1,315 posts
Shepherd

I guess they'd be running out of lithium.

metalplastic
metalplastic
191 posts
Nomad

I thought they were already in use.

roydotor2000
roydotor2000
340 posts
Nomad

Let me explain of the mech im talking about: tall as the eiffel tower, impenetratable armor (unless if u use ICBMs), Can fire nukes from it's shoulders, a gun from the left hand and a sword on the right hand.

roydotor2000
roydotor2000
340 posts
Nomad

But I feel the closest we will see to mechs in combat will be exoskeletons, which already being developed to help aid infantry in carrying heavier loads more easily.

I'm sorry to offend you but u are talking (in this sentence that i copied and quote) about a freakin' power suit!
Reton8
Reton8
3,173 posts
King

A giant mech would definitely be cool, but a small missile can pack a huge punch, meaning a mech would be an easy target. Would I like to see a real life mech? Sure why not? Will they ever be used in the military, probably not.

roydotor2000
roydotor2000
340 posts
Nomad

but a small missile can pack a huge punch

Pfft, ever heard of electromagnetic shields
roydotor2000
roydotor2000
340 posts
Nomad

Will they ever be used in the military, probably not.

That's a probability!
Showing 1-12 of 12