ForumsPopular Media[moved] Lord of the Rings vs. Warcraft

14 6016
SportShark
SportShark
2,980 posts
Scribe

Do you prefer the Lord of the Rings movies or the World of Warcraft?
Which came first, which is better, why are worgens so interesting?
Let's discuss all of right here and now!

• 14 Replies
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

They're not even related....

stinkyjim
stinkyjim
470 posts
Shepherd

Do you prefer the Lord of the Rings movies or the World of Warcraft

Warcraft

Which came first

Warcraft

which is better

Warcraft

why are worgens so interesting

Because they slaughtered thousands of innocent farmers. That's pretty ******. Although the Scourge killed millions of farmers, and they like heavy metal, so I like them better.
Jacen96
Jacen96
3,087 posts
Bard

LotR is just plain epic, and doesn't require you to pay 15 dollars a month to watch it.

LotR has been around since '65

LotR is just plain better

IDK about worgens, but GO WARGS.

~~~Darth Caedus

Drink
Drink
1,622 posts
Blacksmith

warcraft is terrible

and im not too interested in anything to do with the lord of the rings, but the movies were decent and so are the games

MacII
MacII
1,315 posts
Shepherd

LotR has been around since '65

Um, first published between 1954 & '55, in fact.

Had been much longer in the making, of course; W'edia mentions it was "written in stages between 1937 and 1949." (Yes, let's not get into a debate about how old some of the material is; much of that had in any event not been published yet, and was to undergo endless revisions, and by all accounts Tolkien wasn't sure where the material would be going as he started on LoTR. I just thought I'd specify some dates, that's all )
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

Don't really have a thing for Warcraft, DoTA's more of my kind of game. Comparing the fantasy setting and characters would seem the most logical choice here; I'll go for LOTR. Deeper. On so many levels.

stinkyjim
stinkyjim
470 posts
Shepherd

Um, first published between 1954 & '55, in fact

But he wasn't talking about the books, he was talking about the movies.
Jacen96
Jacen96
3,087 posts
Bard

LotR has been around since '54, that is when the lore was first created, Warcraft lore arose in the '90s or sometihng.

~~~Darth Caedus
MacII
MacII
1,315 posts
Shepherd

True that. & Don't you just love hearing kids talk about the books after the movies after the video games; not to mention how notably the first don't add up (But! How come R2D2 in pt. 1 does X, contrary to what happens later in #5! Not to mention that horrible Tina Turner cover of Beyoncé, etc.)

As for me, I couldn't really follow the apples & oranges here, either.

Don't really have a thing for Warcraft, DoTA's more of my kind of game.

Hmmm. Never been or gotten into Warcraft (yet... ), but interestingly, W'edia again mentions: "Dota 2 is a multiplayer online battle arena video game and the stand-alone sequel to the Defense of the Ancients (DotA) mod," then leading us on to "Defense of the Ancients (DotA) is a multiplayer online battle arena mod for the video game Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos and its expansion, Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne, based on the 'Aeon of Strife" map for StarCraft.'"

Ze plot, it once again thickens; or W'edia just being full of it again?
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

Hmmm. Never been or gotten into Warcraft (yet... ), but interestingly, W'edia again mentions: "Dota 2 is a multiplayer online battle arena video game and the stand-alone sequel to the Defense of the Ancients (DotA) mod," then leading us on to "Defense of the Ancients (DotA) is a multiplayer online battle arena mod for the video game Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos and its expansion, Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne, based on the 'Aeon of Strife" map for StarCraft.'"

DoTA is a mod, three lanes of creeps per side rushing to the other base, with random heroes for you to pick. I don't know if you play it?
Chryosten
Chryosten
17,384 posts
Herald

Honestly, I find that LoTR universe is better (even though I can hardly remember what happened in the books). Also, I've never played WoW so I wouldn't understand what the universe there is like.

Also, what the hell is a worgen?

stinkyjim
stinkyjim
470 posts
Shepherd

Also, what the hell is a worgen

It's basically a werewolf.
The Worgen originated as a way for human druids to become stronger, by embracing the spirit of the wolf. The druids lost control, and became savage beasts. Now they carry a curse, and those who get bitten are then turned into a Worgen themselves.
More recently in the lore, people have begun to control this curse. They can transform from beast to human whenever they want, and are now battling along side the Alliance against the Horde. The reason for this, is because the Horde wiped out their entire populace just to create a port which they could use to build a fleet.
MacII
MacII
1,315 posts
Shepherd

I don't know if you play it?

Nope, can't say I do.

A Tolkien fan on the other hand ever since quite a young boy, yes, count me in Though found myself more patient with it once than I am today.
SportShark
SportShark
2,980 posts
Scribe

Well a new Hobbit movie is coming out- The Hobbit: The Desolation Of Smaug.
Rumor has to that another one is in the making;
The Hobbit: The Masturbation Of Gogg.

Showing 1-14 of 14