Forums

ForumsNews, Feedback and Suggestions

About this downloadable Player needed to play some games..

Posted Dec 15, '13 at 2:26pm

clhkph

clhkph

119 posts

Here's a link to a game using Unity:
AOTTG

Posted Dec 18, '13 at 5:58am

MacII

MacII

1,369 posts

Here's a link to a game using Unity:
AOTTG

Ta, but I was thinking specifically at AG ;)

Anyhooz, I'm a little busy, maybe over the weekend or so. Should be fun to fool around with some, I'll let you folks know.

Posted Dec 18, '13 at 11:55am

kegaumongo

kegaumongo

1,846 posts

Ta, but I was thinking specifically at AG ;)

If I'm not mistaken, these two MMO use Unity: Battlestar Galactica Online and Crazy Fairies. Probably, there are other games, though.

Posted Dec 20, '13 at 3:32am

MacII

MacII

1,369 posts

Thanks, Keg. Will have a look.

Posted Dec 20, '13 at 8:33pm

Tasselfoot

Tasselfoot

256 posts

Administrator

Crazy Fairies is definitely Unity.

Firefox does not auto-install / update Flash or Unity...  so you'll need to install the Unity Web Player in FF (same as you have to install FP updates).  If you use Chrome, FP and Unity Player will auto-install, auto-work, and auto-update...  so they SHOULD work automagically.  Just one more reason why Chrome is the bestest.

-Tass

Posted Dec 21, '13 at 2:05am

MacII

MacII

1,369 posts

... Okdidoki, I tried (using Crazy Fairies as my playground), and am giving up again for now.

I can't get Unity Player to work, neither in Firefox (nor it with all add-ons disabled), nor in Internet Explorer.

In Firefox, I got to download and install the player again; then, tweaking some bells & whistles and/or trying without add-ons, I get no further than an error message "Failed to start Unity Player." That screen meanwhile suggests clearing cache and retrying, which of course does nothing.

In IE, which shouldn't be blocking much of anything at my end, upon getting to the Crazy Fairies main page, the "play" button there does nothing at all. Trying the Windows installer there (and expecting it to trigger the installer again), rather than attempting to install Unity Player, what it wants to run is what looks to be some Crazy Fairies installer. I don't usually do, by default; and either way, my guess is it's not what we're looking for: Presumably that would be some standalone donwloadable game version. Correct? And anyhows, if all of their games require a separate installer for each game, that could be argued to be a bit much; indeed I don't personally feel tempted to.

Checking their forums on the matter typically leads one to no results, or unhelpful ones ("uninstall all you've got & try again" -- down to a Windows reinstall, sure baby. Or right-click the Player content to go to your settings -- very helpful if you can't get to that content. Never to worry, I did get to those settings -- featuring nought but a cache control page, which is duly set to on as it should be, so that can't be it, either. What is annoying is that there is no further control panel or anything for it, or not as far as I can see.)

Oh well, so I won't be playing no Unity games for the foreseeable future, it arguably is no skin off my back, I've gotten along fine without it before.

Strangely, I can run some of their demo material at http://unity3d.com/gallery/demos/live-demos -- although trying to play in one crashed my machine, LOL. Yes, yes, that's probably just my machine not being up to speed, whatever.

Just one more reason why Chrome is the bestest.

Yes, well, and in all friendliness, but I wouldn't consider one's program working just in one browser a point of pride; rather of course, it should preferably work on all platforms, or as many as possible.

Re: the link, if any, between Google Chrome and Unity Player, this thread in their forum should be of interest: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/202063 … nd-firefox , spawned by this article: http://blog.chromium.org/2013/09/saying … npapi.html .

Another annoyance of course would be that all the documentation on their site is heavily tilted towards developers, not end users of their Player.

Again: It really isn't much of a bother to me, and neither is this any sort of attack on you, Tass (why would I); but if these critical remarks somehow spill over to the Unity crew, then fine.

If anyone can add to how they get it to work at their end, or what we're doing wrong or where we have our heads up the wrong end, then please go ahead.

Cheers.

Posted Dec 21, '13 at 2:21am

MacII

MacII

1,369 posts

... Wait wait wait: Sorry, but so after my little rant just now (ooff! Such a relief ;), it occurred to me that trying before in Firefox, I had been prompted to allow the Java Development Toolkit plugin.

This has been marked as vulnerable by them for quite some time now, and so set to off (ask to activate) by default.

So I chose to allow it once. Forgetting that I had set it to never activate.

Changing that back to "ask to activate," it looks like yes, the game starts alright.

So: Ooff :) Looks to be fixed, over here.*

About IE, don't ask me. Rarely use it anymore for hardly anything, anyhows.

* Oh, and wait again: Turns out I then need to set the "Plugin Container for Firefox" (Mozilla Firefox\\plugin-container.exe ) to allow incoming connections. It then works, yes sir-ee, ma'am. (At least it looks to work.)

That's a bunch of too much iffiness to my taste, so I think I'll be disallowing all of it again. But, for those of you who insist on persisting :)

Cheerio, and over & out.

Posted Dec 21, '13 at 2:44am

MacII

MacII

1,369 posts

ps For the sake of completeness,

In Firefox, I got to download and install the player again; then, tweaking some bells & whistles and/or trying without add-ons, I get no further than an error message "Failed to start Unity Player." That screen meanwhile suggests clearing cache and retrying, which of course does nothing.

That would be, in FF, after I'd duly gotten to the game start-up page, featuring a "Play Now" button, and two "Download Windows/Mac Launcher" buttons. It's the same start-up screen that I'd described above getting to in IE.

So then hitting Play, I got the Failed message. Until I came up with the solution just above.

Posted Dec 21, '13 at 8:46am

Charlie506

Charlie506

1,110 posts

Is there a sort of update to your browser? I am using Chrome, and the games work fine.

Posted Dec 21, '13 at 12:42pm

MacII

MacII

1,369 posts

Is there a sort of update to your browser?

Of course, all the time, It is duly updated, ditto.

I am using Chrome, and the games work fine.

Yes, so it had been established above. The question now is how to get it to work for other users.

Reply to About this downloadable Player needed to play some games..

You must be logged in to post a reply!