ForumsNews and FeedbackAbout this downloadable Player needed to play some games..

22 14601
CaPPuCCiNo7KiD
CaPPuCCiNo7KiD
1 posts
Shepherd

I just need to say this since this (used) to be my top site for light gaming... and when i say top i mean i even reccomended it to friends...

Since this downloadable player came out i cannot play any of the new good games and i have absolutely lost faith to this site... non of the other major game sites give me any problems.... my pc is overly able to play those kind of games but block me from downloading this player (work pc).
So anyway i am still browsing and trying to find something playable even though i am dissapointed...

Just my humble opinion...

Angel..

• 22 Replies
MacII
MacII
1,315 posts
Shepherd

... Wait wait wait: Sorry, but so after my little rant just now (ooff! Such a relief , it occurred to me that trying before in Firefox, I had been prompted to allow the Java Development Toolkit plugin.

This has been marked as vulnerable by them for quite some time now, and so set to off (ask to activate) by default.

So I chose to allow it once. Forgetting that I had set it to never activate.

Changing that back to "ask to activate," it looks like yes, the game starts alright.

So: Ooff Looks to be fixed, over here.*

About IE, don't ask me. Rarely use it anymore for hardly anything, anyhows.

* Oh, and wait again: Turns out I then need to set the "Plugin Container for Firefox" (Mozilla Firefox\\plugin-container.exe ) to allow incoming connections. It then works, yes sir-ee, ma'am. (At least it looks to work.)

That's a bunch of too much iffiness to my taste, so I think I'll be disallowing all of it again. But, for those of you who insist on persisting

Cheerio, and over & out.

MacII
MacII
1,315 posts
Shepherd

ps For the sake of completeness,

In Firefox, I got to download and install the player again; then, tweaking some bells & whistles and/or trying without add-ons, I get no further than an error message "Failed to start Unity Player." That screen meanwhile suggests clearing cache and retrying, which of course does nothing.

That would be, in FF, after I'd duly gotten to the game start-up page, featuring a "Play Now" button, and two "Download Windows/Mac Launcher" buttons. It's the same start-up screen that I'd described above getting to in IE.

So then hitting Play, I got the Failed message. Until I came up with the solution just above.
Charlie506
Charlie506
1,298 posts
Nomad

Is there a sort of update to your browser? I am using Chrome, and the games work fine.

MacII
MacII
1,315 posts
Shepherd

Is there a sort of update to your browser?

Of course, all the time, It is duly updated, ditto.

I am using Chrome, and the games work fine.

Yes, so it had been established above. The question now is how to get it to work for other users.
MacII
MacII
1,315 posts
Shepherd

ppps

the Java Development Toolkit plugin

For the sake of reproducibility, and working on the assumption that this may somehow find its way to the Unity folks, I tried to reproduce the above after a system reboot, but failed to. That is to say, I didn't get prompted to allow no Java plugin. Don't ask me, something must have blocked something.

In Firefox, there are two Java plugins involved: A Java Platform plugin (currently SE7 U45, for Windows), and said Java Deployment Toolkit.

As said, the latter has been marked as vulnerable by Firefox for quite some time now; the former used to be for a while, but of late has apparently been found safe by them again, it comes with no notifications.

As said, plugins marked as vulnerable are switched to "ask to activate" by FF by default. The Deployment plugin I have set to never activate; the Platform plugin I still have set to "ask to activate," even though if their evaluation of it is right, that should no longer be necessary.

I can't be sure if in my above description, it was in fact the Deployment plugin that was prompted for, or rather the Platform one. Either way, allowing whatever was prompted once didn't do the trick; then setting the Deployment plugin to ask to activate, it did work.

FYI.
MacII
MacII
1,315 posts
Shepherd

Heyyy, sha-wow: fixed (to get Unity Player to work, in WinXP using Firefox, for those too lazy to read back to see what this was all about )

Thanks to =1449873&viewfull=1#post1449873">this post in the Unity forums, that indeed did fix it:

So to turn on Windows' Terminal Services. I reckon like that poster, I must have turned it off myself at some point since it's mostly related to sharing one's machine with outsiders, something I have no intention of doing. Notes:

* Setting Terminal Services to manual startup seems to already auto-start them, so that setting suffices.

* In my set-up at least, it still requires me to, in my software firewall, allow incoming connections for the Plugin Container for Firefox to work (Mozilla Firefox\\plugin-container.exe).

(And I'm not too happy with either of these settings, so may well switch it all off again. But, hey, at least it looks to be weeding out the issue )

* About that Java plugins business I mentioned above, none of it seems to have any bearing on my test runs now, so whatever was called for there, it doesn't seem to apply here. May be conveniently disregarded, I guess.

The game I used for testing was Crazy Fairies again, seems to be fully functional then.

For those who wonder What services???, maybe this will help to explain: http://www.blackviper.com/windows-services/terminal-services/ .

I'm on a non-English system, but to get there, on your Windows machine go through what must be called in English roughly >Settings (/Control Panel?) >System Management (? /Systems Manager?) >Services. Do note: These settings should not be tampered with if you don't have some idea of what you're doing. If anything, get acquaintd with it all a little before you do make any changes there; you could well be rendering your machine useless, or your internet access disfunctional, or whatever. If you're on a machine not your own (but under the custody of your parents or at school/work/library/cyber cafe or so), count on the keepers being none too pleased if you do start messing around with them at random.

If anything, remember to always click "cancel" or whatever its called, rather than "OK," to close any settings screens, even though you feel confident you didn't change anything. Just on the add chance you accidentally did

Happy gaming, now, folks.

MacII
MacII
1,315 posts
Shepherd

... Ah, so I'm (finally) migrating to Linux Mint, Cinnamon edition.

Looks like the Unity Web Player isn't designed for it, although from the looks of it some Unity games may be.

Oh, well. I never said I was very bent on it, but, FYI as usual.

Showing 16-22 of 22