ForumsNews and FeedbackWe need a chat feature

31 17418
SportShark
SportShark
2,980 posts
Scribe

Everyone in support of there being a chat feature installed on AG should reply to my posting.
It would be a great feature!!!
Come On!

• 31 Replies
Blackbeltr0
Blackbeltr0
769 posts
Jester

Wow that is pretty cool *opens tab checks it out*
Ferret PLEASE use that! That is amazing... With reply and share, also edit: with the edit it should be made so if you go off page you cant edit it, but if you notice an error before you leave page you can fix it.

110 thumbs up! AMAZING!
Yes From me with that!

~~Black~~

0Shane0
0Shane0
124 posts
Peasant

I have to agree, this feature really wouldn't bring much to the table other than a bunch of people acting like monkeys hyped up on Red Bull.

Well, then that's your opinion.
I would just like to think that most of AG's users aren't idiotic.

I'm glad you remember the chat feature from 2008 so well, but even if you're right about it having been elitist, that had nothing to do with why it was removed.

I never said it was removed because it was elitist.

As far as censoring goes; it's always going to be an issue of people trying to bypass them - this is why people should have the option to mute another player in a chat room.
If they're cool with censor dodging, don't mute them.
If not; just mute them.
Simple, eh?

A live chat on a site of this size would basically require 24/7 surveillance

Then give some people the ability to have power in the chat - so there is forum moderators and chat moderators.

And again; with reference to the hypothetical situation nonsense - if you don't want to listen to someone complain about DotD loading - the mute feature would come in handy.

It all just depends on how motivated both parties are to trade information.

Sure - but I'm not the type of person that is enthusiastic every time someone comments me that I refresh hectically to see if they've responded, so it could be an hour before I respond meaning the conversation between the two people is hindered.

clicking on your profile to check for updates is such a waste of time if you aren't guaranteed a new message from someone else 100% of the time.

As I said above; I don't refresh my page hectically to see if someone has replied to what I've said.

Anyhow - I was more concerned about the fact that all of the conversations are 1 on 1 which aren't always interesting, to be fair.

You actually don't have to play the game at all

I still have to have the game open and if I'm playing a different game, chances are I don't want the lag of another game getting in the way of my performance, plus I'd keep have to switching tabs to see the chat.

Also, I'm not saying that the CT regulars never used the messenger system, just that once they started to use CT - their usage of it declined pretty rapidly.
And, I'm not sure why CT was created, I wasn't around at the time though I'll try find out soon.

I'm not sure why the CT regulars aren't active these days and I never said it was solely because AG didn't have a chat but when they had their own - they eventually lost touch with AG as they didn't need it to contact each other any more.

We've had literally millions of people since then create AG accounts without their being any official chat feature, and there have been no documented cases of anyone leaving simply because of a lack of chat boxes.

Yes, of course millions of people still registered on AG over the past 5 years and they may not all have left because "darn, this site has no chat - I'm gonna leave" but maybe if there was one some of those people would still be here.

This year alone, 366,079 registered players completed stage one of Kingdom Rush. 151,090 of those players stuck around long enough to defeat Vez'nan, and not one of them hesitated to do so just because the site they defeated him on lacked a chat feature.

Obviously, some people don't care if the site they use has a chatroom or not but just because they completed a game doesn't mean that they wouldn't like one.
I've completed KR on this site and I'm in favour of a chatroom being implemented.

PS: 715k called a wave early on Kingdom Rush on Kongregate and 216k defeated Vez'nan, that doesn't mean they did it because there was a chatroom so what you're saying is quite irrelevant.

And yet, I have to argue that, in today's community, a chat thread could easily flourish for as long as it wanted

It could - but that doesn't mean it's not against the rules of the forum.

as right now, as we speak, in the Tavern, we have not one, but two chat threads of practically identical content

Both of which have content that isn't of interest to most with the exception of 5-6 people.

So, yeah.
I believe AG could do with a chatroom - it could potentially make new users stick around and make AG flourish into the site it once was (when there was a chatroom on the site)
0Shane0
0Shane0
124 posts
Peasant

We really need an edit button, anyway.

have you guys checked out the new commenting system on Dead Zone?

Not that it seems of relevance to the thread.
It looks pretty nifty, reminds me of YT.

It updates as your on the page, so it can be used like a chat system.

So, you'd be okay with people using it like a chatroom - talking about stuff not relevant to the game - with one to three word comments? Somehow I doubt it.
Along with that; AG will have to store all of the information on the system, possibly leading to more site lag.

Plus - it brings me back to the point I made above:
to converse with someone via game - we'd have to play the same game
Devoidless
Devoidless
3,678 posts
Jester

I find it interesting you're speaking with apparent familiarity about a chat that existed roughly five years before you made your account.

SportShark
SportShark
2,980 posts
Scribe

I know my account is fairly new, but I've actually been using AG for about 7 years. I didn't get around to making an account until a couple of weeks ago.

Blackbeltr0
Blackbeltr0
769 posts
Jester

I find it interesting you're speaking with apparent familiarity about a chat that existed roughly five years before you made your account.~Void

Why does this matter? I mean we are talking about the future are we not... anywho

So I asked ferret and he said that the one on Dead zone is kinda like a beta version.

have you guys checked out the new commenting system on Dead Zone?~Ferret

Not that it seems of relevance to the thread.~Shane

WAIT actually it is very important:
#1 Ferret said it
#2 That is kinda a test run
#3 it is kinda a fun fact we already have a "chat-like system"
#4 It is important to hear that the Admins are listening to what the community wants and testing it out to see if it fits.
Kudos to the ADMIN team!
KudosX2 to @ferret. He has been a great help and I see him helping more as we progress.

~~Black~~
0Shane0
0Shane0
124 posts
Peasant

I find it interesting you're speaking with apparent familiarity about a chat that existed roughly five years before you made your account.

Is that really relevant?
Devoidless
Devoidless
3,678 posts
Jester

Is that really relevant?

Yes, yes it is. When the chat was functional, you were -maybe- eight, if the information on your profile is truthful. So we're expected to believe that when you were eight, you were able to form rational and educated opinions about a chat function and the goings-on in such. Not only that, but we're expected to believe that you remembered all that over the span of five years and made a post about it now.
That doesn't seem like a stretch to anyone else?
Blackbeltr0
Blackbeltr0
769 posts
Jester

Sorry about the re post. I needed to change somethings, and as always Devoidless was right. My bad. I had expressed to some AG officials to delete my recent post because of lack of good links so if that could happen that would be great.

So My post V 2.1

Lets get a list of some of the main things Good and bad about a chat and present it to an Admin. Right now we have, and this is just right of the forum so some of the things said here may not apply, but could be good to list.

GOOD
It is Faster ~ @0Shane0
Will not abandon AG because of external sources ~ @0Shane0
Will cut down on spam "comments" ~ @Blackbeltr0
Chat does not need to be on topic, you can shift topics ~ @0Shane0
Chat may not reduce activity, but help to bounce ideas off others before entering forums ~ @0shane0 + interpreted @Blackbeltr0
Owners could control their chat [Mods and Admins could to of course]~ @Blackbeltr0
More relaxed, casual feel to it ~ @nichodemus
Could have Language switchers and Owner options.~ @Blackbeltr0
Already kinda implemented~@Ferret + @Blackbeltr0
Could have mute options for spammers ~ @0shane0
No Repetitive refreshing for replys ~ @0shane0
Need an edit button and this would not be posted permanently~ @0shane0 + Interpreted @Blackbeltr0
Get rid of 3-word comments(spam) ~ @0Shane0
BAD
In the past people abused it ~ @Ernie
If we go offsite they don't have to follow AG rules ~ @Ernie
Do we really need it messenger works ~ @Ernie
Hard to Moderate ~ @MacII
Forums and profile messenger sufficient no need ~ @IceClaw247
Reduce the forum activity ~ @IceClaw247
high spam content and possibly be too hard for the mods to control ~ @IceClaw247
Require 24/7 surveillance~ @Ernie (again I say owners can also clean up)

Some frequent "bad" things Oh the mods wont have time. Well 2 ways
#1 have implemented swear catchers have condensers so if one person is just typing with no one else between. it makes it look like one message.
#2 Give the owner some power let him help clean up. Also mute or kick from chat. [of course mods and Admins will have powers above the owners, but let them help too]
So that took me 30min.
Please ADD TO THE LIST. copy it over or maybe not well see what the mods say about repetitive copying so I think it is ok tho.... Just add to Bad and Good so we have a good list to show the admins what we think.

0Shane0
0Shane0
124 posts
Peasant

@Devoidless

Aha, ok.
I've not updated my profile in a bit, I'm actually 14 - though I doubt that makes any difference and you're questioning if I can remember something that happened 5 years ago?
Hopefully, I'm not the only person here who can remember 5 years back.

MacII
MacII
1,315 posts
Shepherd

Could have Language switchers

You really don't want to go multilingual on a forum.

Or not without the staff to match, anyway. Which equals next to impossible.
MacII
MacII
1,315 posts
Shepherd

[quote=0Shane0]I can't fathom how one would 'abuse' a chatroom feature[/quote]

To name but one concern, but probably far from the least of them, one such accompanying chat box on a gaming site I frequent, besides just being an annoyance to the edge of your game screen & generally filled with inane horse manure, invariably degenerates into silly come-ons between participants over the course of any short period of gaming.

Usually at a level where one suspects those involved are indeed nine-year-olds or so, which perhaps is one thing, but one dreads to think of the odd 53-year-old happily babbling along & seeing where it gets them.

And then I've not even touched yet on all the potential for commercial spam (adult or underage), flame wars indeed, and so on, of course. Generally all that a site such as this professes not to want to see on board in their finer print.

Pazx
Pazx
5,845 posts
Peasant

Unrelated but are the CT regulars still active on CT?

Personally I think that if we had a chat I'd be there a lot more than browsing the forums.

Blackbeltr0
Blackbeltr0
769 posts
Jester

You really don't want to go multilingual on a forum.
~ Macll

Nope not a forum a CHAT this is an English site yeah? So why not keep everyone who is speaking in different languages have it switch to English/the owners language. It Could be impossible, but it is not a matter of "Not wanting to go multilingual on a forum."
#1 It would not be a Chat forum.
#2 If implemented into a System there would be no need for Admin's time on it.

Next: I do believe there can be potential "abuse". But there also can be Very Good Moderation with the people who actually care. Of corse you can turn it off that would Have to be an option. You can't say that 53 year old men will just come on to AG because there is A CHAT and Do something to teenagers. We Could have that same thing now too, But you say we have moderation so it would be caught. I say that we give owner powers and they can ban any non-admin/ mod from the chat and un-ban them anytime, but we need moderation to I see that so give owners powers too.

The
commercial spam
wont happen then, because the OWNER won't let it happen they will report it and ban the user.

@Pazx Well my guess is that you have a lot less comment posts than forum posts. I personally Check my comment feature before coming to the forums you are probably opposite. If you don't want to check your profile chat... Then you can always turn it off, OR you can do your forum thing first and profile second.
Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

Unrelated but are the CT regulars still active on CT?

I hear the CountingOldTimers get together occasionally but I don't know how often. You could, of course, always ask around and find an old chat vet that's still in touch with the others.

Otherwise the currently dominant chat would be the FGA.

Personally I think that if we had a chat I'd be there a lot more than browsing the forums.

That's how it is for me lol.
Showing 16-30 of 31