ForumsSupport Forum[Answered] People losing their savegames?

8 3272
MacII
MacII
1,315 posts
Shepherd

Mods, admins, could you have a look at recent reports by people losing their savegames? There's quite a flurry of them recently, enough to make you think that there's more going on than misunderstandings on their part, the odd savegame going temporarily missing, or such.

Reports on it are in this Support forum.

• 8 Replies
boppins
boppins
774 posts
Bard

I've been paying attention MacII. A lot of these posts are in games that have no online/cloud save, and are local storage only.. so a player returns to a game after a month or so, and their local saves are gone (been cleaned out by their system).

When a player loses a cloud save, it could be from internet connection issues. You load up a game, and unfortunately the request you make to load your saves fails, and it shows you have no game saves. Then the player clicks on slot1 (for example) and overwrites his real save.

Sometimes it's the way the game itself loads saves. I noticed in one game that it shows the slots as empty by default, then loads the saves, and when it gets the saves back from our services, then it shows the save games in the slots. So if a player is quick enough, he may click on the empty slot before the save is retrieved.

In the case our services (and servers) are truly having problems, then neither retrieving or saving game saves will work.. so the player isn't able to overwrite his save anyway. I'm not trying to say our system is flawless -- nothing is but just give examples of what can happen.

We've talked about a backup system, where we periodically save backups of your online saves, so in the case any of these things happen, you can restore it. Unfortunately that is a huge amount of data to be saving, so it isn't an option at the moment, but we will stay diligent in trying to think up clever solutions!

MacII
MacII
1,315 posts
Shepherd

Thanks for answer, Boppins, and for confirming are on to it.

Yes, those all sound like sane and viable explanations. Maybe this will be a good sticky thread to point people to

Cheers.

freelance52
freelance52
16 posts
Shepherd

Hi Boppins and macil, yes I suppose these answers, boppins, do sound viable but they aren't viable in all cases. In my case the game I lost progress on (Keeper of 4 elements) doesn't have slots or similar options. It was being saved on Armor games server and all I had was a map at the start of each session which just 'filled in' as I completed each stage and showed me which stage I was at. On Christmas Day when I opened the game it showed me at stage 1 only with no upgrades either (I had loads!) and that is all it has shown ever since. I have not attempted to play the game/click on the stages etc since, in the (now apparently, forlorn) hope that Ferret would be able to help. Most of the people playing on this site are very experienced gamers, and programmers, so it is somewhat disappointing (not to mention insulting) to read that you, Boppins, seem to think that it is the individual players who don't know how to open/save their games securely, whether on your system or their own. I had expected better from this site.

boppins
boppins
774 posts
Bard

Keeper of 4 Elements doesn't use Armor Games online save.. it is local save, which means it is saved to your computer.

freelance52
freelance52
16 posts
Shepherd

Ok, Boppins, guess I owe you an apology. Other people were using my machine Christmas Day but, as I believed that all my armor games were saved to your server, I never gave it a thought. As far as I was aware, all armor games were saved to your server unless the individual player opted for a local save, which I never do. So please accept my apologies and I will now investigate things more thoroughly at my end, but thanks for this bit of information.

boppins
boppins
774 posts
Bard

No worries.. we have a tag just for online save games, which you can see here

MacII
MacII
1,315 posts
Shepherd

Haha! Be careful now when designating oneself as being one of "very experienced gamers, and programmers"...

mar_wys
mar_wys
1 posts
Nomad

[boppins]
I lost my online save game in game Cursed Treasure 2. I was 21 level and I'm very dissapointed.
Can I somehow retrieve that save?

Showing 1-8 of 8