ForumsWEPRWhat did you think about the whole Phil Robertson thing?

23 12873
caiteyd13
caiteyd13
40 posts
Nomad

Personally I believe that A & E by suspending him violated his right to freedom of speech. What do you think?

• 23 Replies
Devoidless
Devoidless
3,678 posts
Jester

You people need to go into more detail about the topics you are talking about. Just posting one or two sentences assuming everyone knows what you are talking about isn't acceptable.

Describe the situation, add relevant links. People can not discuss something when it's not clear what is being discussed.

Fiends
Fiends
114 posts
Peasant

I think he's right, this censorship has gone too far that now the creator of Duck Commander gets suspended? It's ridiculous. Although i bet the minorities think he deserved it.

Drink
Drink
1,622 posts
Blacksmith

who is phil robertson? what did a & e suspend him from? i have no idea what you're talking about. a link would of been nice

Fiends
Fiends
114 posts
Peasant

Duck Dynasty fans know what OP's talking about.

stinkyjim
stinkyjim
470 posts
Shepherd

Duck Dynasty fans know what OP's talking about

Ooooooh! You guys are talking about the rich white "redneck" who got kicked off the "reality" television show for saying some offensive stuff about practically every group of people. Well he's back:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/12/27/phil-robertson-back-duck-dynasty_n_4509697.html?vm=r&s=1

If you want my opinion, hate speech should null the freedom to speech. A & E shouldn't have brought him back. Nobody should have the right to slander groups of people.
SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

Duck Dynasty fans know what OP's talking about.

It's amazing the CRAP they show on TV now.
Even though I try to avoid the show, everybody's talking about it.
What's wrong with people? What's so exciting about watching some hicks who don't believe in shaving? Do you guys also watch Honey Boo Boo?
Jeez!
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

If you want my opinion, hate speech should null the freedom to speech. A & E shouldn't have brought him back. Nobody should have the right to slander groups of people.

I second that. Your freedom to slander and hurt someone infringes upon their freedom to not bear with your drivel.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

Personally I believe that A & E by suspending him violated his right to freedom of speech. What do you think?

In what way did they do so? Was he suddenly not able to speak his mind by being suspended from the show?

5 Things To Remember When Discussing This Duck Dynasty Mess
A&Eâs Decision to Suspend Phil Robertson Is Not a Freedom of Speech Issue
When You Defend Phil Robertson, Here's What You're Really Defending
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

Good sensible articles Mage, especially the first one.

Fiends
Fiends
114 posts
Peasant

It's amazing the CRAP they show on TV now.
Even though I try to avoid the show, everybody's talking about it.
What's wrong with people? What's so exciting about watching some hicks who don't believe in shaving? Do you guys also watch Honey Boo Boo?
Jeez!

That's the typical closed-minded mentality you guys have, you see a person with a heavy country accent and immiediately think it's "crap". And no, we don't watch honey boo boo. You should watch it sometime, instead of watching big brother or whatever.
SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

That's the typical closed-minded mentality you guys have, you see a person with a heavy country accent and immiediately think it's "crap". And no, we don't watch honey boo boo. You should watch it sometime, instead of watching big brother or whatever.

I don't watch any of those reality crap shows because it's all garbage designed to make people dumber than they already are.
caiteyd13
caiteyd13
40 posts
Nomad

Duck Dynasty is a show big on family values and religion. The A&E network wanted them to cuss and scratch their butts because they thought that's what America would like. In fact what he says is not a hate speech if you read the whole page of this article http://www.gq.com/entertainment/television/201401/duck-dynasty-phil-robertson?currentPage=2 you see his entire opinion. He explains that it is not humanitys job to judge people it's Gods

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

We never, ever judge someone on whoâs going to heaven, hell. Thatâs the Almightyâs job. We just love âem, give âem the good news about Jesusâ"whether theyâre homosexuals, drunks, terrorists.

No we don't judge we just compare homosexuals to terrorists. You're like a terrorist, can't you feel the love in that?
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,254 posts
Regent

I don't know enough about that A&D and DD thing to really jump into the debate. But I would agree with what was stated in Mage's first link: You can't just say anything you like and assume there will be no consequences.

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

As Mage asked, in what way did they do so? He is still able to express his mind and his viewpoints.
A&E were also using their freedom of "speech" (to be loose with the term) by firing him and showing that they do not tolerate such words.

Keep in mind, although freedom of speech protects you from government interference, it does not protect you from social consequences.

-----

As for me, I agree with A&E's decision to fire him. I do not, however, agree with all the focus that is being placed on him. There are far more detrimental things happening to the homosexual/queer community that are being ignored in place of this man's religious beliefs.
Showing 1-15 of 23