ForumsThe TavernOn being a pleasant person

13 3697
aknerd
aknerd
1,416 posts
Peasant

'Sup AGers and happy holidays! Thought I might as well try to get some conversation going as I imagine many of ya'lls are as bored as I am, what with it being winter break for a good number of us.

This thread is NOT intended to discuss issues of morality or "goodness" or what have you, as that is rather too serious of a topic for me at the moment. Rather, I thought we might talk about the kinds of things that make people seem nice or friendly (or the opposite), on both the internets and in real life.

To start us off, I take strong note of how people react when another person makes a (perceived) mistake. Do they assume the worst? Or try to gather more information? Like when someone posts a link to an article, and then someone else makes some comment not in line content of the article. I feel like all too often the poster of the link will say something like "Did you even read the article?" or "Learn to read" or something of that nature. They could just as easily say "I think you may have misread a line or two:" and then quote the relevant part of the article.

Anyway, just something I was thinking about.

• 13 Replies
Jacen96
Jacen96
3,087 posts
Bard

its y'all, not ya'll

I think being a pleasant person means you stay off the internet, it will corrupt you.

~~~Darth Caedus

Blackbeltr0
Blackbeltr0
769 posts
Jester

Caedus: corrupt you? Really you are the corrupter!
Also sir newbie. You better learn it is not AGers it is Armor Gamers. Please learn to word.

~~Black~~

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,988 posts
Grand Duke

I think people who are more pleasant tend to start the conversation by thinking the best of others, and then work from there, to see if the opposite number genuinely fluffed up, or is merely a jerk, rather than jumping straight to the chase.

Blackbeltr0
Blackbeltr0
769 posts
Jester

Probably true. Also why we try to &quotoint out errors" is so people arn't confused/thrown around buy misinformation. We want to correct it fast and if it is something that people say that is against our side of the argument, we want to point out their error so our side looks better!
We arn't as mean as caedus and I showed we could be we just want to correct mistakes.
But in the contexts of the &quotosting articles" and people "not reading" that is because the poster had a good reason and we don't want people just jumping in and trying to make a comment just to earn points. We want good conversation, and when we post important links we want them used.

~~Black~~

aknerd
aknerd
1,416 posts
Peasant

Also why we try to &quotoint out errors" is so people arn't confused/thrown around buy misinformation.

I agree, but as many a mother has pointed out, it's not polite to point (see what I did there). There is usually no need to single out the error, especially in so public a place as a forum. But my main point was that people have a tendency to assume that others make mistakes because they are stupid, or ignorant, or whatever when in all likeliness they probably just accidentally missed something.

Something else:

A lot of times on the internet jokiness gets taken seriously unless it is super blatant. This is unfortunate for myself as in real life I am very rarely serious. But I feel as though most of the times humor is pretty obvious if you make the assumption that people aren't jerks or idiots. The only problem with that is that an unfortunate number of people actually are jerks/idiots.
MacII
MacII
1,315 posts
Shepherd

I think being a pleasant person means you stay off the internet, it will corrupt you.

LOL. +1.
Pazx
Pazx
5,845 posts
Peasant

A lot of times on the internet jokiness gets taken seriously unless it is super blatant.

This sounds like an excuse used to get away with bigoted or otherwise offensive behavior.
Graham
Graham
8,052 posts
Nomad

When people misread an article and take the effort to actually comment, they're pushing for their own agenda.

The only problem with that is that an unfortunate number of people actually are jerks/idiots.

Oh, the conflict of having others not know things you know, and not care about things you care. Oh wait, they also know things that you don't, and care about things that you don't. Can it be? They're a person too!

~~~Darth Caedus

~~Black~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Graham~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
xeano321
xeano321
3,152 posts
Farmer

Also sir newbie. You better learn it is not AGers it is Armor Gamers

No offense, but did you bother to look at Aknerds post count? He's a pro user from days of the past.

A lot of times on the internet jokiness gets taken seriously unless it is super blatant. This is unfortunate for myself as in real life I am very rarely serious.

I know what you mean. It's taken me a few years to get people to realize that you need to assume I'm joking unless I'm not.... If you can get that.
aknerd
aknerd
1,416 posts
Peasant

This sounds like an excuse used to get away with bigoted or otherwise offensive behavior.

Oh, the conflict of having others not know things you know, and not care about things you care. Oh wait, they also know things that you don't, and care about things that you don't. Can it be? They're a person too!

Sorry, I suppose my wording there was a tad unfortunate. I was mostly referring to what Pazx was talking about in that first quote. Sometimes people actually are just being bigoted or otherwise meanspirited. A lot of times they try to cover up with humor, but other times they are actually being serious. I get that what I may personally find offensive is hugely subjective. Likewise, my concept of what makes someone a pleasant person is subjective. I made this thread to focus on the latter notion, as I feel like it will generate more positive discussion. I could go into what I think constitutes offensive behavior, but I don't know what that accomplish.

I know what you mean. It's taken me a few years to get people to realize that you need to assume I'm joking unless I'm not.

Unless you've going super meta here I feel like you're not giving Black this same benefit of a doubt, given that s/he was probably joking.

~~~Darth Caedus

~~Black~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Graham~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(My nickname is just a string of tildes (tildi? anyone know the plural of tilde?))
MoonFairy
MoonFairy
3,390 posts
Shepherd

I feel like all too often the poster of the link will say something like "Did you even read the article?" or "Learn to read" or something of that nature.

Also sir newbie. You better learn it is not AGers it is Armor Gamers. Please learn to word.

I think people who are more pleasant tend to start the conversation by thinking the best of others, and then work from there, to see if the opposite number genuinely fluffed up, or is merely a jerk, rather than jumping straight to the chase.

I'll try to be a pleasant person and take you're advice, Nicho.

I agree, but as many a mother has pointed out, it's not polite to point (see what I did there). There is usually no need to single out the error, especially in so public a place as a forum. But my main point was that people have a tendency to assume that others make mistakes because they are stupid, or ignorant, or whatever when in all likeliness they probably just accidentally missed something.

Usually whenever people are pointing out someone else's errors, it's because the person thinks that their way of doing/saying something is better than the other person. That seems a bit silly, when you think about it.
For instance: "You better learn it is not AGers it is Armor Gamers."
It can be whatever the heck you want it to be. AG is Armor Games and AGers Armor Gamers. It's the same thing. You just think that you're way of saying it is better, so you feel the need to point it out to the person, which is a bit rude. Especially calling the person "Sir newbie" beforehand.

A lot of times on the internet jokiness gets taken seriously unless it is super blatant. This is unfortunate for myself as in real life I am very rarely serious. But I feel as though most of the times humor is pretty obvious if you make the assumption that people aren't jerks or idiots. The only problem with that is that an unfortunate number of people actually are jerks/idiots.

I have an issue with identifying people who joke around on here a lot, because it's hard to read a text that is supposed to have a joking tone to it. It makes things a bit frustrating.

This sounds like an excuse used to get away with bigoted or otherwise offensive behavior

I sort of agree. Usually people who have to come back after they post and explain that they were joking means that they have been displeased with a few of the responses by people that got offended by it. I'm not saying that I think no one should joke around or anything, but as long as you explain in the same post that what you said is a joke, it definitely gives a better impression.
Toejam
Toejam
39 posts
Peasant

i perceive everyone to be very rude at Armor Games... Its depressing. No love... God forbid i write too short of a post, Heads will be rolling!

Anyways... Merry Christmas and have a Happy New Years everybody.

love you..

xeano321
xeano321
3,152 posts
Farmer

Unless you've going super meta here I feel like you're not giving Black this same benefit of a doubt, given that s/he was probably joking.

Well... yeah, of course.

Thought never entered my head to be honest 0_0.
Showing 1-13 of 13