ForumsWEPRQuestion for fellow christians.

29 5266
ialwayswin
ialwayswin
777 posts
Jester

I am christian but my knowledge is a bit,well not good. Anyways one of gods commandments says remeber the sabbath day and keep it holy,the sabbath day is saturday,but people have church on sunday,doesn't this make god a bit...angry? What do you guys think.

• 29 Replies
RathRaid
RathRaid
129 posts
Nomad

It all depends how you interpret it. Some people say the sabbath day is saturday, and some people say it's sunday. For me, saturday and sunday are both good days to keep holy.

And anyways, church on sunday and church on saturday is the same thing. It doens't matter which day you do it, what matters is that you actually go to church, worship him, and pray.

Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

but people have church on sunday,doesn't this make god a bit...angry?

lol, that's a new one.

Again, not a Christian but I can give an honest, non-subversive answer so I'll do so. Going to church on a Sunday isn't a form of work- it's a ritualistic observance of the Sabbath, where one can spend time in (formalised) communion with God. Traditional interpretation is such that going to Church is a good thing, not a bad thing, in "God's books", though this is counterbalanced by the caution that merely observing the ritual of going to Church is not the same as "being Christian", as many might implicitly think.
woody_7007
woody_7007
2,662 posts
Peasant

How can it be he Sabbath on Saturday. That would ruin Gillette Soccer Satuday with Chris Kamara and of course the hilarious Jeff Stelling. God needsto sort out his priorities.

kontractkilla01
kontractkilla01
157 posts
Nomad

i agree with rathraid although i have been tought that the sabbath was from sun down saturday to sundown sunday

flashgamer233
flashgamer233
62 posts
Nomad

how does it make God angry? well for us catholics the sabbath starts on saturday evening to the rest of sunday

MsterXantos
MsterXantos
438 posts
Nomad

for lutherans our pastor says that we are to set aside one day every week and praise him

gman1000
gman1000
978 posts
Nomad

@ialwayswin
There is a simple explanation to this:
The Sabbath can be any day you choose. It can be Monday, Wednesday, or even Friday. It doesn't matter. God just wants you do have a day of rest and time with Him. He does not instruct on which day it should be on. I hope this helps.

thelistman
thelistman
1,416 posts
Shepherd

I'm not exactly sure how it was changed but I heard it had something to do with the Constantine, the first Christian Roman Emperor. When Christians and Jews took Saturday off, the empire came to a massive slowdown. So Constantine changed the Christian Sabbath day to Sunday so there would not be so many people taking one day off.

shaluro
shaluro
3 posts
Nomad

If you are really interested in the answer, type "what day is sabbath on" in google search. Go to the first link after the sponsored link. It give a detailed explanation with supporting facts.

Jikek
Jikek
1,187 posts
Nomad

Ok my teacher taught me this. the 7 days of creation is sunday till saturday. so saturday is the sabbath. But there used to be an eith day in the week. i dont know the name but its the New creation day. Also the day where Jesus resurrected which goes back to sunday. there for making saturday and sunday the sabbath.

Calm
Calm
909 posts
Herald

When God created the Earth, he instaured a week of 7 days. The 1st day corresponded to our actual sunday and the 7th dan to the saturday. This is why the Jews have their sabbath on saturday.
Now the question is "why do we Christians have church and day off on the sunday?" Well, it's simply because the primitive Church decided so.
I don't recall the exact century, but I think it was in the 3rd or 4rth century (I might be wrong), the Church met in a Council and decided to switch the sabbath to the Sunday. This was partly because some pagans were worshipping their gods on the 1st day of the week (sunday) and so they decided to absorb these pagans and convert them, and they thought it would be easier if the sabbath was on the day during wich they were used to worship their gods...
It's for the same reason that we celebrate Jesus' birthday on the 25th of december...

Now, I think you were asking yourself the wrong question. God is happy as long as you worship and obey him. He doesn't care about the day you do so! As long as you try to follow his commands and live a godly life, he'll be happy.
Bear that in mind. God loves you and is happy to see you follow Jesus' path. The day you consacrate to your relation with him doesn't matter as long as you DO have a relationship with him!

Pegasus
Pegasus
106 posts
Nomad

Calm said it all, when God made everything, he did exactly what Calm said,

he instaured a week of 7 days. The 1st day corresponded to our actual sunday and the 7th dan to the saturday.

But God is happy with you no matter what, and yes, as long as you just go to Church and be holy, God will love you. But just live life with holiness and faithfulness and you will be on your way to heaven.
Calm
Calm
909 posts
Herald

Nice summary Pegasus

Oh and for those who didn't know about this :

It's for the same reason that we celebrate Jesus' birthday on the 25th of december...

The pagans used to worship the Sun-god on the winter solstice which back then fell on the 25th of december.
The primitive church decided to reconvert this feast in a big Christian celebration. But the "real" birthday of Jesus does not fall in december. The proof lays in the Bible which says that the sheep were grazing in the pastures, and this means JC was either born in Spring or summer...
Pegasus
Pegasus
106 posts
Nomad

Wow Calm, I never knew that, but why is the Church trying to convince us that Jesus was actually born on December 25th? And I am not trying to be and Athanist but maybe since in that time, winter was different because people didn't know about it and they just said December was spring/summer.

d0m1nated14
d0m1nated14
718 posts
Farmer

First of all Sunday is the first day of week. Saturday is the seventh day that he rested. God doesnt ask us to do the Sabbath anymore. That was to the people he sent it to. Im only 14 though. Dont believe what i say because im not even sure if im right. It does matter how people interpret it.

Showing 1-15 of 29